juiceup

Help please HDD ERROR

Hi - Please can someone advise me how to install a new hdd into my dvr.

Everytime i try to install a drive i get a HDD error. WHY?????

I know the unit works as i have seen it working with a friends hard drive from there dvr. so i know its me who is doing something wrong....

Is there a idiots guide to installing a new hard drive ?

Do i have to format the drive before i install it - i know its me not the unit

What am i doing wrong.?

Where can i send the unit to have a hard drive fitted if i cant do it...

I appriciate you need to know what you are doing with these units - so any help would be gratefully recieved.

Please can anyone help asap.

thanks for the reply.

sorry its a odd make

its a sdvs-m 4120m. is all that is on it...4 channel dvr

but i cant find any info about it.....

hope this helps or means anything to someone..

Hello, nice meeting you here. Following are some reference for you to install a new Hard Drive to your DVR, hope it helps you.

1.Disconnect your DVR by unplugging any cables connected to it, including the power cable. Remove the screws located on the back of the unit that hold the top cover in place. There are usually two to six of these screws, depending on the model of DVR. Lay these screws in a safe place where they won't get lost, and slide the cover off.

2.Locate the hard drive. This is a rectangular metal unit that measures 3 1/2 inches wide. It is usually located away from the other hardware, often in its own bracket. There will be two to four screws holding it in place. Remove these, disconnect the cables connected to the drive, and slide it out of the system.

3.Check the label of the drive to see if it is IDE or SATA. It will say which one of the two interfaces it uses. Any replacement desktop hard drive of the same interface type will work in your DVR. Avoid using a laptop drive, because they won't fit and aren't designed for the high-stress environment of video streaming.

4.Place the new drive into the brackets, and replace the screws that were removed from the old one. Plug the data and power cables into this drive. They will insert the same way they came out of the old one. Once the drive has been installed, put the cover back on the DVR unit, and replace the screws. Hook the DVR back up to the television, and it will be ready to record.

Best wishes!

Thanks for the reply.

The unit has a hdd enclosure on the side of the dvr which has a key to open, once open you have the normal ide cable and power cable to fit the hard drive. when you turn on the machine all you get is a blue screen and a hdd error, like it cant find the drive. Just like when you fit a hdd to a pc and it cant see it in the bios. I have set the drive to master, but it just comes up with a hdd error. - i know the unit works as i had a friend test it with there hard drive and it worked perfectly.. i tried to connect their drive to a pc - but windows doesnt reconise its there, - hence my thinking its in the format/setup of the drive....which wont allow me to put a new unformatted drive in the machine.........without some software....... i may be wrong...

any more ideas.... please