ini

QNAP VioStor Opinions?

Good evening Everyone-

Does anyone have experience\opinions on the QNAP VioStor (specifically the VS-5012 12-ch) NVR? Anyone know how it compares to the NUUO mini's or the like? Reading the specs it seems to offer a good deal more than the NUUO's but I've not used either. Thanks so much in advance.

Good evening Everyone-

Does anyone have experience\opinions on the QNAP VioStor (specifically the VS-5012 12-ch) NVR? Anyone know how it compares to the NUUO mini's or the like? Reading the specs it seems to offer a good deal more than the NUUO's but I've not used either. Thanks so much in advance.

Dear ini,

Here I compare NUUO Nvrmini with VS-5012.

1. NUUO supports about 400 cameras

2. NUUO supports compression formats: h.264, mjpeg, mpeg4, mxpeg(mobotix)

3. NUUO supports upnp.

4. NUUO supports autodetection for cameras.

5. NUUO offers GUI to change recording schedules

6. NUUO supports video backup

7. NUUO supports video export into AVI or ASF

8. Video supports video enhancement.

9. NUUO suppots PTZ-presets.

10. NUUO supports automatic data backup

11. NUUO nvrmini has reports of system info, hdd usage, disk status

12. Support for NUUO CMS

13. Support for POS

For more information, please go to http://support.nuuo.com/mediawiki/index.php/Nvrmini

NUUO Tech Support

from a mobile phone perspective i tried getting a compatible api from NUUO for our mobile phone apps and they responded that they did not have it. i am still waiting on QNAP's response though.

Good evening Everyone-

Dear ini,

3. NUUO supports upnp.

12. Support for NUUO CMS

13. Support for POS

For more information, please go to http://support.nuuo.com/mediawiki/index.php/Nvrmini

NUUO Tech Support

With so many "advanced" features of the mini, why not include some type of privacy masking or motion detection recording? I agree that the mini is a nice device but why leave out what seems to be common-place on most DVR/NVR's? I won't even go into the bandwidth limitations.

No H.264

TWG-

Respectfully, where do you see that the model in question doesn't support H.264? All of the documentation I'm finding says it will. Plus it does motion dection recording which, in my situation, will practically double the amt of days I can record. Can't figure out why the NUUO mini's don't offer that option...they seem like sweet little NVR's otherwise.

Good evening Everyone-

Dear ini,

3. NUUO supports upnp.

12. Support for NUUO CMS

13. Support for POS

NUUO Tech Support

Hmm.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/compare

to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences

The above isn't comparing anything... it's just spam.

No H.264

TWG-

Respectfully, where do you see that the model in question doesn't support H.264? All of the documentation I'm finding says it will. Plus it does motion dection recording which, in my situation, will practically double the amt of days I can record. Can't figure out why the NUUO mini's don't offer that option...they seem like sweet little NVR's otherwise.

The Mini doesn't have on board motion detection but it supports camera based motion detection which every IP camera has so this isn't a big deal. Also most cameras have privacy masking so this is also not a big deal.

As for the h.264 the spec sheet that I looked at didn't have h.264 on it but you are correct it does support h.264.

My only complaint with the NUUO is the bandwidth limitation but that is because on the lack of processing power. QNAP has more powerful processors that's why they can do more.

One thing I did notice with QNAP you have to port forward all cameras for remote viewing which can be a pain in the a## and a BIG security risk. With the NUUO mini you only have to port forward the Mini not the cameras which makes setup a lot easier and secure.

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_application.asp?p_id=121

How does QNAP do there camera licensing? Does the price of the unit include the licenses or are they extra? I will diffidently look into there product more but the port forwarding will be a big issue for me.

No H.264

TWG-

The Mini doesn't have on board motion detection but it supports camera based motion detection which every IP camera has so this isn't a big deal. Also most cameras have privacy masking so this is also not a big deal.

As for the h.264 the spec sheet that I looked at didn't have h.264 on it but you are correct it does support h.264.

My only complaint with the NUUO is the bandwidth limitation but that is because on the lack of processing power. QNAP has more powerful processors that's why they can do more.

One thing I did notice with QNAP you have to port forward all cameras for remote viewing which can be a pain in the a## and a BIG security risk. With the NUUO mini you only have to port forward the Mini not the cameras which makes setup a lot easier and secure.

How does QNAP do there camera licensing? Does the price of the unit include the licenses or are they extra? I will diffidently look into there product more but the port forwarding will be a big issue for me.

I'm very thankful you pointed out the port forwarding of each camera. That will certainly factor in. I don't have a problem with port forwarding but good gosh!!

So you're saying that as long as the camera supports motion det. I can only record on motion with the Mini? That's really the biggest selling point for me with these two.

thanks a ton!

No H.264

TWG-

I'm very thankful you pointed out the port forwarding of each camera. That will certainly factor in. I don't have a problem with port forwarding but good gosh!!

So you're saying that as long as the camera supports motion det. I can only record on motion with the Mini? That's really the biggest selling point for me with these two.

thanks a ton!

What cameras to you plan on using

I'm planning on using ACM-3411's and either 1231 or 5611 and an enclosure.

They will work fine..... But ACTI does not support masking.

I have a couple of el 'cheapo analog cameras that don't support masking either but my Hikvision 8000 Series DVR does so I am able to do so. Is it not the same with NVR's?

In re: the motion detection: so I can set the cams to only record on motion even if the NVR doesn't support it?

I'm sorry for asking such entry-level questions....

They will work fine..... But ACTI does not support masking.

I have a couple of el 'cheapo analog cameras that don't support masking either but my Hikvision 8000 Series DVR does so I am able to do so. Is it not the same with NVR's?

In re: the motion detection: so I can set the cams to only record on motion even if the NVR doesn't support it?

I'm sorry for asking such entry-level questions....

Have you ever used a IP camera? They are little Linux boxes so they are alot more then a camera. Cheep IP cameras like ACTI will stream video and have on board motion detection, AXIS adds event logic so say on motion even email images or upload to FTP server. Mobotix can do all of this plus they have a built in NVR so you don't have to have a NVR. Why do you what to use IP cameras?

"Have you ever used a IP camera?"

Nope...that's why I'm asking so many questions in this thread. I have a couple of NFR's on the way but they shipped out yesterday and with the holiday weekend it will probably be mid-next-week before I get my hands on one.

"Cheep IP cameras like ACTI will stream video and have on board motion detection, AXIS adds event logic so say on motion even email images or upload to FTP server. Mobotix can do all of this plus they have a built in NVR so you don't have to have a NVR."

Correct, I guess I was speaking more about the NVR side. I apologize.

"Why do you what to use IP cameras?"

Because my main business is network engineering and IT consulting. Those are my strengths. And IMHO I think the TCO and ROI for my clients are superior with IP-based systems (speaking of client's that have no pre-existing surveillance system), especially mp.

I understand that in some situations (night) analog is still the one to beat but I think in the near future that will be changing so why not plan for it now?

I understand that in some situations (night) analog is still the one to beat but I think in the near future that will be changing so why not plan for it now?

Well the beauty for you is, you can get single- and multi-channel video encoders that will let you attach any analog camera to an IP network, so even in the instances that an analog camera might provide better performance, you can still use your existing infrastructure, or deploy the network infrastructure for future camera upgrades. This gives you the additional benefit of not needing analog capture hardware at the head end.

In instances where an all-analog chain IS necessary, you can wire with Cat5e or Cat6 and use video baluns to send the analog signal over that... when the time comes to upgrade, simply take off the baluns and re-terminate for network.

No H.264

TWG-

TWG-

May I trouble you to tell me where the motion det settings are on the 1231? I'm looking at web configurator and don't see it anywhere. Thanks so much for your help!!!

No H.264

TWG-

TWG-

May I trouble you to tell me where the motion det settings are on the 1231? I'm looking at web configurator and don't see it anywhere. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Video Adjust

This should go in the classifieds, but since the model is being talked about here I will just post it I have a 1231 thats practically brand new in the box, I mounted it and dont care for the view and pictures that i get from the stock lens. I think I will use a 5611 and my own lens in a enclosure instead. So if anyone is interested in trading a like new 1231 for a 5611 shoot me a pm. Thanks

Ini,

I have used both the Nuuo NVRmini and the VioStor VS 2008. The VioStor seems to be built with a lot better. The Nuuo is plastic and feels fragile. The VioStor has a lot more features and even has SMS support for cell phones. I think the Nuuo software is more easy to use and the set up is much faster. I did have an issue with the VS 2008 not working with ACTi 1231 and 1431 cameras. I have been working with Qnap's tec people to get this issue worked out. You can always send an FTP file with ACTi's cameras to get the jpeg images to your cell phone if needed. Port forwarding is a small pain with the VioStor but that shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Ini,

I have used both the Nuuo NVRmini and the VioStor VS 2008. The VioStor seems to be built with a lot better. The Nuuo is plastic and feels fragile. The VioStor has a lot more features and even has SMS support for cell phones. I think the Nuuo software is more easy to use and the set up is much faster. I did have an issue with the VS 2008 not working with ACTi 1231 and 1431 cameras. I have been working with Qnap's tec people to get this issue worked out. You can always send an FTP file with ACTi's cameras to get the jpeg images to your cell phone if needed. Port forwarding is a small pain with the VioStor but that shouldn't be a big deal at all.

thanks EricPaul- I greatly appreciate the info....