venture

pin hole camera battery doesn't last long

How long should a 9 volt battery last with a pin hole camera?

I get just a few hours before the battery dies. If I then disconnect the battery, and leave it for a few minutes, then reconnect, the camera will work OK for a further 5 minutes. I have checked the voltage when the camera is connected, and there is a bit of a voltage drop - drops to about 3 - 5 volts.

Do I have a problem with the camera, or is this the way they are?

Thanks

What kind of batteries are you using? Cameras draw a relatively high continuous current so at the very least you should use high-quality Alkaline batteries. If they don't last, try Lithium batteries; they are designed for power hungry devices.

106515_1.jpg

no but i ran by it in person at ESX in Baltimore this year. walked right past it and never noticed it until they pointed it out to me on the monitor. nice little setup. picture quality was decent with indoor lighting.

With the current consumption of most cameras and the capacity of the small type of 9v batteries, then I would say your experience is to be expected.

If it has any LEDs (IR, or one acting as a 'power light') then you could disconnect them to prolong the life.

In the analog wireless cameras I see the 9 volts lasting about 4 - 6 hours, and the lithium batteries (expensive) will last almost 24 hours.

Battery power is only good for short time recording such as during "nanny" recording.