thewireguys

SMTP server for Exacq

Need some help.... I would like to setup a SMTP server for my Exacq servers and IP camera but I have little knowledge about them. I have tried all of my SMTP email accounts and I can't get them to work. I think the problem lies with the fact Exacq does not support SSl or TLS connections and my email accounts do. I would like to set this up for are demo servers and have a solution for my customers.

Is there one email server that I could use for all my installs or is there a SMTP relay that I could install on each NVR. Looking for advice please.

Practically no commercial (ISP, corporate, etc.) SMTP servers will allow you to relay unauthenticated mail from an outside address; that's an open invitation to spammers.

What I've found works almost universally is to use the SMTP server for the ISP the connection is with. For example, with customers who use Shaw Cable out here, I set their camera/DVR/etc. SMTP server to smtp.shaw.ca - no encryption, no authentication necessary, because the mail is coming from within their network.

For the corporate sites that have their own mail servers, it generally works to use that SMTP - again, it typically works without issue, because like any other mail client in the place, it's all coming from within their network.

When our ISP's SMTP server goes down here, and it does, i either switch over to Google (gmail), or i use an SMTP VBscript i wrote. I had Gmail working with outlook express. they block 25 so I cant use my US based SMTP server which doesnt allow changing the port number.

Oh yeah, the VBScript (i did it in VBscript because at the time it was the quickest and I needed to send mail!) is setup as a server listening on port 25 on the users PC, it then grabs the email and sends it on to a webpage (therefor bypassing port 25) and that page checks the user info then if valid it sends it on using the hosting companies SMTP server. Also it can send just 1 attachment as I didnt complete it further.

if you created and publicly registered your own email server internally on your network that has public access then you should be fine.

the issues will arise by how many alerts you are emailing a day that eventually your ISP will start looking at you like a spammer and start blocking service.

and also depending on where you are sending the email alerts 'to' there may be extra hoops you have to jump through like sfp for ms accounts like hotmail.

of course you will need your mx records recorded with your ISP also.

Don't see why that wouldn't work... just as Twilo123 notes, if there's TOO much traffic going through your account, it may appear that you're a spammer, and they'll shut you down. If alerts are infrequent though, it shouldn't be a problem.