Hev7970

Camera not working at night

Just purchased a security camera (color with 25 feet IR night vision). Got it all hooked up and it worked great during daylight. However, at night, just get a blank screen. The store has said to bring it back and they will check it out but, thought I would make sure I have it hooked up OK. Should I see any of the red glow from the IR LEDs during daylight or do they only come on in darkness?? The power adaptor is working (green light is on) but could there be an issue with this? Trying to save a hours drive back to the store if it is somothing I have done or not done! Thanks

Just purchased a security camera (color with 25 feet IR night vision). Got it all hooked up and it worked great during daylight. However, at night, just get a blank screen. The store has said to bring it back and they will check it out but, thought I would make sure I have it hooked up OK. Should I see any of the red glow from the IR LEDs during daylight or do they only come on in darkness?? The power adaptor is working (green light is on) but could there be an issue with this? Trying to save a hours drive back to the store if it is somothing I have done or not done! Thanks

Best thing you could do is check your BNC connection or if it's RCA check it. The best way to test if the camera is getting power is cup your hands over the cover or bring the camera into a dark room, do you see the IR's light up? If yes then the camera is getting power if not then it isn't getting power and will need to be checked.

Thanks and good luck!

John

BNC and RCA are two common type of video connectors.

BNC are a twist-on locking connector usually used for professional equipment:

107241_1.jpg107241_2.jpg

RCA is a friction-fit, push-on connector used for audio and video in consumer equipment:

107241_3.jpg107241_4.jpg

The two are wiring compatible - there are adapters to mate both ways:

107241_5.jpg107241_6.jpg

The obvious thing that springs to mind is that the PSU may be inadequate, check that it can supply enough current at the specified voltage.

When the IR LEDs switch on they'll increase the current drain, which, with an inadequate PSU, may drop the voltage to the point whereby the camera fails to function properly.

Hi,

As far as I know they are the same quality, but RCA are found to be more popular connection on equipment these days. You can get BNC cables that also convert to RCA by screwing RCA tips into the BNC plugs. That way you can have the best of both worlds and probably would be a cheaper way to compare.

Hi,

As far as I know they are the same quality, but RCA are found to be more popular connection on equipment these days.

Not on any PROFESSIONAL equipment I've seen. RCA has a distinct disadvantage in that the connectors don't lock together.

There maybe a shortage of power supply......