magohn

POE - Will it work from a router?

Hello All,

My plan is to have 3 or 4 IP cameras hooked up to a router working as a wireless hub. Will POE work by just plugging in a camera to the router? Will an IP camera work like this or does it have to be wired to power in some way?

Thanks, Magohn

the router has to be a poe router which i'll say it isnt(usually you need to use a poe switch), so go find poe injectors(cat5e plugs into one end and then you plug it into an outlet and then you run cat5e to the router and power is injected through the cat5e to the camera)

Hmmm - interesting. I just did a quick scan on Amazon and could only find single port options - is there a 4-port option at a good price?

Thanks, Magohn

There are switches that do PoE... I've never seen a router that supported it though. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I have looked before and not found them.

There are switches that do PoE... I've never seen a router that supported it though. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I have looked before and not found them.

I think some of the Cisco routers do PoE... but that's waaaaay overkill for what you're trying to do.

I prefer to select a router based on other features such as firewall and VPN. To add POE, get a POE switch and add it to the LAN. They come in various sizes, including 4, 8, 16, and 24 ports.

Best,

Christopher

I prefer to select a router based on other features such as firewall and VPN. To add POE, get a POE switch and add it to the LAN. They come in various sizes, including 4, 8, 16, and 24 ports.

Best,

Christopher

Bingo. Sometimes you're better off just to split up the functions into their separate appropriate devices. Just as a suggestion, I've used the LinkSys SFE1000P switch on numerous sites now and found it to be an outstanding performer: eight 10/100 PoE ports, plus two gigabit ethernet/fiber ports... these work great for adding several IP cams and some NAS storage to a DVR.

Bingo. Sometimes you're better off just to split up the functions into their separate appropriate devices.

For that same reasoning, I also prefer to use wireless access points attached to the router rather than using a wireless router. In summary, I select the router based on VPN specs, add a large gigabit switch for LAN bandwidth, add a POE switch for POE, and add access points for wireless. It's an easy way to roll.

Best,

Christopher

If you are in a rack with an existing switch, and you need to power more than a few cameras, the Phihong midspans are a nice solution. They are not a switch, they just inject PoE onto 8, 16 or 24 individual isolated ports.

They make a good single port PoE injector, too.

The Cisco SRW208P 8-port 10/100 Ethernet Switch - WebView/PoE is a nice lower cost unit. AUD $280.

Very reliable and supports all the requirements of a IP-CCTV system

The Cisco SRW208P 8-port 10/100 Ethernet Switch - WebView/PoE is a nice lower cost unit. AUD $280.

NETGEAR FS726TP cheaper and more ports

Personally not a fan of Netgear products.

I have not had great reliability.

Funny I feel the same way about Linksys.... bad luck I guess. I have used and installed both POE products. My complaint with the linksys switch is the browser is very very slow.

Funny I feel the same way about Linksys.... bad luck I guess. I have used and installed both POE products. My complaint with the linksys switch is the browser is very very slow.

I notice you represent 4 products.

How do you determine which to use for each application?

What front end software do you use?

And last, what country are you in?

Thank you so much for this recommendation - I checked out the reviews on Amazon and all were positive - I purchased the switch for $295 incl tax and shipping - no onto finding a decent IP camera

Thank you so much for this recommendation - I checked out the reviews on Amazon and all were positive - I purchased the switch for $295 incl tax and shipping - no onto finding a decent IP camera

Look the price up on Newegg

Edited by Guest