thewireguys

atom vs via c7

I am tring to build a mini NVR to run and am trying to pick a Mini ITX motherboard with atom vs via c7 but I don't know which processor is better. Anyone have any experience with Jetway? Do they stand behind there stuff?

Edited by Guest

Take a look at www.mini-box.com ,they have a lot to choose from, and I've ordered from them quite a few times. I think you could get your $400 mark between them and Newegg, depending on how much HDD you need.

You should be able to save on the Exacq for the OS cost (Free!)

As far as Jetway, haven't tried them.

I did build a hybrid system with a 4 channel capture card recently with the Intel brand dual-core Atom (Intel D945GCLF2D), and it ran a lot better than one I built a while back with the C7, haven't tried Exacq on it yet, though.

The Atom is what Exacq is using in their EL series, along with the Linux OS on A SSD.

Take a look at www.mini-box.com ,they have a lot to choose from, and I've ordered from them quite a few times. I think you could get your $400 mark between them and Newegg, depending on how much HDD you need.

You should be able to save on the for the OS cost (Free!)

As far as Jetway, haven't tried them.

I did build a hybrid system with a 4 channel capture card recently with the Intel brand dual-core Atom (Intel D945GCLF2D), and it ran a lot better than one I built a while back with the C7, haven't tried on it yet, though.

The Atom is what is using in their series, along with the Linux OS on A SSD.

Yea I would like to us XP but I might try linux.

Edited by Guest

I would go Atom but then I dont know much about Via. Only thing I know is the Netbooks that had the Via CPU typically got hotter then the Atom based ones.

I am tring to build a mini NVR to run Exacq software and am trying to pick a Mini ITX motherboard with atom vs via c7 but I don't know which processor is better. Anyone have any experience with Jetway? Do they stand behind there stuff?

I have a budget of less then $400 for Case, HDs, power supply, DVD, memory, and OS.

Have look at EeeBox by ASUS (Atom based)

they have few diff models

complete unit with or without win

u can get them way under $400

for example check

EB1012 packs an Atom N330 processor, (should be avail soon)

250GB hard disk,

2GB RAM,

Gigabit Ethernet,

and 802.11n Wi-Fi.

Nvidia MCP7A Ion graphics

and HDMI output will allow full 1080p playback

Also useful: a 5.1 S/PDIF audio connection,

built-in multi-card reader (including SDHC),

plus 4 USB slots,

and one single eSATA port to connect your external hard drive.

p.s.

Diplomat style brief case +EeeBox+mini 4 port router+15' monitor

plus few other parts

good looking portable demo system

1 gig of ram

640GB WD HD

Sony slimline DVD-r

XP PRO

For 450$

Guess I need to learn Linux

how about these guys?

They've been around for years, were expensive though maybe the price has dropped.

http://www.cappuccinopc.com

problem with any of these small type of computers is the heat. The hard drives will be adding to that alot also. Even the Eee with Solid State drives get very hot.

A couple months ago they had the Eee PC 901 for under $200, now its discontinued, but still a good laptop, 8 hour battery ... could have just tried one of those The video can lag with high quality though, i think thats where you might have a problem.

Thinking I might go with this.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

1 gig of ram

640GB WD HD

Sony slimline DVD-r

XP PRO

For 450$

Guess I need to learn Linux

how about these guys?

They've been around for years, were expensive though maybe the price has dropped.

http://www.cappuccinopc.com

problem with any of these small type of computers is the heat. The hard drives will be adding to that alot also. Even the Eee with Solid State drives get very hot.

A couple months ago they had the Eee PC 901 for under $200, now its discontinued, but still a good laptop, 8 hour battery ... could have just tried one of those The video can lag with high quality though, i think thats where you might have a problem.

well that will depends if I would install the client software on it..... If I set it up as a server it should be fine...... The can support 24 megapixel IP cameras with the Atom processor. So this will be interesting.

Edited by Guest

well that will depends if I would install the client software on it..... If I set it up as a server it should be fine...... The Exacq EL can support 24 megapixel IP cameras with the Atom processor. So this will be interesting.

True. I was talking with a company out of Taiwan that specializes in mini PCs etc, at one time, they were very inexpensive and custom build anything you want. Cant remember the name as that was a few years back, but could look at something like that for more long term maybe?

well that will depends if I would install the client software on it..... If I set it up as a server it should be fine...... The Exacq EL can support 24 megapixel IP cameras with the Atom processor. So this will be interesting.

True. I was talking with a company out of Taiwan that specializes in mini PCs etc, at one time, they were very inexpensive and custom build anything you want. Cant remember the name as that was a few years back, but could look at something like that for more long term maybe?

Ideally I would like someone else to build and warranty the box because that is not my gig.

Thanks man

Alright XP pro install and updated. This thing is surprisingly zippy for a 1.6 dual core.

I have had the machine running for about 10 hours and everything is looking good.

With the client closed CPU drops to 1 to 2%.

Now this is what I am looking for

Gonna let it run and record over night and see what happens.

Edited by Guest

If you didnt update XP Pro it would be even faster, SP2 is all you need.

It came with sp3 installed. But you have way more knowalge then I do with windows so any pointers you might have I would like to take a look at them.

Do you know of any free programs that I can run to torch-er test the box?

If you didnt update XP Pro it would be even faster, SP2 is all you need.

It came with sp3 installed. But you have way more knowalge then I do with windows so any pointers you might have I would like to take a look at them.

Do you know of any free programs that I can run to torch-er test the box?

There is plenty of that type of software out there. Here is a good one with a free 30 day eval http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm