todd2

Cheapest standalone Cellular motion detecting camera?

I have a location with mains power (110V), but nothing else. Assuming

cell coverage, I want to install a cheap device that will detect motion and

send some pictures to an email or ftp. The device itself could be stolen,

so I don't want to spend a lot or use something that won't transmit to an

offset location.

I saw something call the Nokia Remote Camera, but it's apparently only

available in Europe.

For saving money, I suggest you to choose a wireless pan tilt IP network surveillance security camera with motion detection alert via email or upload image to ftp.

Edited by Guest

For saving money, I suggest you to choose a wireless pan tilt IP network surveillance security camera with motion detection alert via email or upload image to ftp.

Wouldn't that require local Wifi access at the camera location? There isn't any Wifi.

you beat me to the punch wire guys.. i have seen them, videofied, at isc west for the past 3 or 4 years,, i don't remember the pricing being out of the park tho

I did a quick price check; I need a central panel and one of the motionviewer devices,

so we're talking about $1000. That's out of my range. I could go to maybe $200. I'd

hoped there was some cool hack for a camera cell phone to get the job done.

I have a location with mains power (110V), but nothing else. Assuming

cell coverage, I want to install a cheap device that will detect motion and

send some pictures to an email or ftp. The device itself could be stolen,

so I don't want to spend a lot or use something that won't transmit to an

offset location.(

U may want something like this

Clipboard01.jpg

Realistically to do what you want its gonna cost around $1000. You haven't mentioned if this is for indoors or outdoors and if you need the camera to see at night. Because that could drive the price up.

Linksys has a cheep router that you can put a Wireless cell card in. If you only need a camera for indoors with low lighting you can drop the price but your gonna have the monthly wifi fee also.

$300 IP camera + $150 Linksys + $100 Aircard + Cables

Keep in mind this setup will not be plug and play like Videofied there will be a good amount of programing to get this setup to do what you want.

Wouldn't that require local Wifi access at the camera location? There isn't any Wifi.

Just more useless info , sure it would. Check out this site http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2613/64/

All you would need would be one of those type routers (as long as it has a RJ45 jack) and a decent network camera (I believe AK357 on here carries an inexpensive one).

I have used the following made by TopGlobal MB5000k ($170) and the MB6800 (give you more ports but not much else) I like these routers because you are able to use lots of different 3G/4G Cellular PCMCIA cards so what ever coverage is in your area will most likely work in the router. I can even set one up for you with my Verizon card if you want to check it out. I dont know about the whole thing for under $200 but you could definitely put something like this together for 300-400, remember though you will need unlimited data plan for 24/7 surveillance so that runs about $50 a month here, maybe cheaper where you are.

I have used the following made by TopGlobal MB5000k ($170) and the MB6800 (give you more ports but not much else) I like these routers because you are able to use lots of different 3G/4G Cellular PCMCIA cards so what ever coverage is in your area will most likely work in the router. I can even set one up for you with my Verizon card if you want to check it out. I dont know about the whole thing for under $200 but you could definitely put something like this together for 300-400, remember though you will need unlimited data plan for 24/7 surveillance so that runs about $50 a month here, maybe cheaper where you are.

Ok, one point is confusing me. Assuming I can't sit viewing the camera 24/7, where is

data going? Does the IP camera send to an ftp server, or only a live viewer application

on a PC? FTP probably can't handle a live data stream and I'd hate to have to run

my home PC 24/7 for this.

If the IP camera had motion detection and only tried to communicate when it saw

motion, that would be perfect, but probably that would be a lot more money.

Remember cheaper doesn't = better.

Mobotix plus a cell card will do exactly what you want. They can be configured to send video or images only on motion to a NAS, FTP, EMAIL. or Windows share. They also have a built in DVR so you could store the video locally and only email or FTP a single image on motion. They also come with free NVR software if you want to use it or you can access the camera directly with a web browser. Mobotix is the Swiss Army Knife of IP cameras.

What are your trying to do with this camera? indoors/outdoors? do you need to be able to see at night?