bantham1

Hello

Thanks for your quick assistance Rob. You truly have excellent customer service unlike cp cam. I am still trying to figure out how to get around the smtp port 25 for email notifications. My ISP blocks this port and will not unblock it.

Thanks for your quick assistance Rob. You truly have excellent customer service unlike cp cam. I am still trying to figure out how to get around the smtp port 25 for email notifications. My ISP blocks this port and will not unblock it.

use your ISP's SMTP and that should be port 25 by default. They normally just block it so you cant use an external SMTP with port 25.

another option is gmail. Ive used their SMTP before when my ISPs SMTP was down. Ive used it with Outlook express though. Can they not use their ISP SMTP with an email client like Outlook Express or other? If so then should work the same with the DVR or other apps.

The problem is that I cannot change the port on the dvr to any other port than 25. With outlook you can change the port setting.

oh ... yeah thats a problem then. If you had another PC on the local network you could leave on, you could run a relay script or app on that which relays it to another port, or uploads it to an online server. I actually wrote a standalone VBscript that does just that, when i was in between using gmail - its very basic though and only sends 1 attachment, i never went further with it. it just waits for the email then sends it onto a webpage on my site which then uses my hosting company's smtp mail server to send it out.

Though you could probably just run a free SMTP server or something and change the port is all. Not sure as I never tested any real programs out.

I do have a desktop computer that I could leave on but it is a mac. A simple firmware update could probably fix the problem, but CP does not have such an option available. Practically every large ISP in the US blocks port 25...It just doesn't make sense that this cannot be changed on the dvr.

wow that is a tough situation if you can't change the port.

http://techblissonline.com/yahoo-pop3-and-smtp-settings/ looks like ssl smtp + auth so your pretty much screwed on the yahoo side.

most ISP allow for smtp on 25 or ssl like yahoo is doing if it is from internal network like Rory is saying. otherwise how would you send email from the account? it's just remote smtp they don't like for relaying/spam reasons mostly; especially on the less secure 25.

possible options

http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

Yes, I am stuck now with a product that I cannot use all of the options due to a poor user interface. I am going to see if I can return it to the seller.

Any recommendations on a 4 channel unit for around 400 with a good UI?

Any members have experiance with this unit: JS-RT4 Economy Business Class Digital Video Recorder w/250Gb Hard Drive? Looks like better quality recording than my CIF setting.

For more features? Yep, PC based, if a PC can work in the location.

Look up a GV-600-4 or the GV-650-4 ... then just need an Intel PC .. can build them for next to nothing these days .. would be within that budget you mentioned.

Otherwise check the Avermedia DVRs .. http://www.avermedia-usa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=18 Ive used the older model to this, not sure if it does the SMTP thing though as never needed it.

Thank you for the insight. My dvr has recording specs:

Frame: 720 × 480 pixels with 30 IPS < NTSC > / 720 × 576 pixels with 25 IPS < PAL >

CIF: 352 × 240 pixels with 120 IPS < NTSC > / 352 × 288 pixels with 100 IPS < PAL >

Would it be better to use frame or cif on 4 channels? The avermedia looks to be a big step up in recording quality.

Go with the higher resolution. You don't need "realtime" framerates on security video - we're not making movies or TV shows here.

That would not be that big of a step up from my CPCAM to the Avermedia with d1:up to 720x480 @ 60fps? The only thing better would be the frame rate?

Having used CPCam or better known as Avtech, having one right here on my desk, and also having used the Avermedia, I would say Avermedia blows it away no matter what quality setting it is on. Frame rates are about the same.

Avermedia EB1304 is not without its own issues though, but video quality is not one of them.

Edited by Guest

Three things to remember:

1. The listed framerate is divided amongst all inputs. Sometimes the max is fixed (60fps/8 inputs = 7.5fps, for example); sometimes the max available per channel depends on the number of inputs used.

2. NTSC video is 30fps, period; PAL is 25fps... so even on a 480fps system, you still won't go over 30fps per channel.

3. The higher the framerate, the more storage you use. 15fps is virtually indistinguishable from 30fps by most people, but will use half the storage (approximately). 7.5fps will still look reasonably smooth, but will use about 1/4 the storage of 30fps... or looking at it another way, you'll get four times longer retention at 7.5fps than at 30 - a month rather than a week, for example.

Summary: high framerates are *yok yok* overrated. Worry about image quality - resolution, compression, etc. Don't get hung up on massive framerates.

Rory, I noticed in your review you said the Avermedia lacks outdoor use. My cameras are going to be all outdoors. Would this be a deciding factor?

Well hard drives are considerably cheaper now, so it wont matter as much. As mentioned it ate up a 160GB very quick due to over motion detection. But you can put a 1TB in there now and its alot cheaper than they use to be, so would get alot more time.

I took your advice and got rid of the CPCAM and got an avermedia 1304. What is the default username/password for remote viewing?