lcerbone

best day night camera

Ok so I have a customer who wants the absolute BEST night camera he can get. Bullet dtyle is preferred but he is open for whatever. I have been using speco intensifiers on other jobs and I like the product. Also we are installing in his eves which is at least 20ft up from the ground. Any suggestions on camera brand and or model numbers?

I've seen an IQEye IQ753 in use on one site, it works great in night mode. 3MP, too. I think they sell for around $1500... not the BEST, I'm sure, but right up there...

Avoid the Intensifiers for low-light; you'll be disappointed. They're great for daytime, but they slow the shutter speed so much in low-lux conditions as to make anything moving absolutely unidentifiable.

Fine for static scenes... but that's not why you're putting up the camera, right?

Avoid the Intensifiers for low-light; you'll be disappointed. They're great for daytime, but they slow the shutter speed so much in low-lux conditions as to make anything moving absolutely unidentifiable.

Fine for static scenes... but that's not why you're putting up the camera, right?

I second that. Have installed a few intensifiers and although you see the area well in low light forget about identifying anything moving faster than snail pace.

Totally agree! In fact, avoid Speco altogether. I've been having great luck with Bosch cams. True day/night when using the 495 series. For domes VDN-495 and LTC0495 for box. Great sensitivity in low light and IR corrected lenses when the need for a separate IR illuminator arises. Worth the few extra bucks you pay. Plus three year no fuss warranty.

I agree on the Speco problems. I've had great luck with the Panasonic WV-CW484S, and I'm just trying out the new WV-CW504S, and it looks even better, comes with a clear dome, too, with a snap-off liner over the lens assembly.

CNB has some nice True Day Night bullets.

Just make sure it has an ICR and does not use DSS or Sens UP, and you should be okay.

Stay away from MP cameras as it seems they still suck at low light video.

Another vote for Bosch 495 models.

Closely followed by Samsung SSNR.

New Sony IP cameras using their latest EXMOR sensors should perform very well in low-light when they become available ...

I've seen an IQEye IQ753 in use on one site, it works great in night mode. 3MP, too. I think they sell for around $1500... not the BEST, I'm sure, but right up there...

Agreed. The 855 series is pretty sweet as well.

The SSNR's are probably better in my humble opinion though.

Another vote for Bosch 495 models.

Closely followed by Samsung SSNR.

New Sony IP cameras using their latest EXMOR sensors should perform very well in low-light when they become available ...

Im running 495's and a 620. They are both excellent, but the 620 is a tad better at night (1/2" CCD).

Its hard to beat the 495's for around $300 new.

Hi Rory, i've used the CNB V2815NVR IR in some applications with good results at night. Is there a CNB bullet model you would recommend. Thanks

Edited by Guest

Sorry double post.

I've also used Extreme CCTV with good results with minimal lighting. I've used the WZ20 camera. Its a bit to mount but its a pretty good camera.

Edited by Guest

I agree with hardwired, the panasonic range takes some beating. I have a WV-CW484F keeping watch over my car. Very suitable for mounting under the eaves. It does require a few lux to get the best out of it. I find that nearby street lighting is adequate for my purposes, but with a little extra lighting it is extremely good for the price.

Analog >

sony super HAD and Ex-waves [if you use infrared illumination also]

followed by sanyo digital DN IR cut filter versions. I test these with a 5-50mm Bosch lens and a raymax model 50 sorts em out !

Im sure there are lots more, but its a fine line to get good illumination and frame rate with no blur. in the 250 to 1000 shutter range

If you want no mucking around the extreme CCTV "bosch" cameras are excellent like the EX26 etc

IP>

Arecont DN & IR lenses

IQeye

my 2c [and hours of testing at night]

Ok so I have a customer who wants the absolute BEST night camera he can get. Bullet dtyle is preferred but he is open for whatever. I have been using speco intensifiers on other jobs and I like the product. Also we are installing in his eves which is at least 20ft up from the ground. Any suggestions on camera brand and or model numbers?

Goodrich ISR Sysetms (Sensors Unlimited) do an interesting range of SWIR cameras that are supposed to be the bees knees for day/night/limited visibility operations. The videos and captures on their web site are pretty impressive. I've not had a chance to play with them personally as I don't think they have a distributor in Oz but it is something I'm following up.

interesting video with some side by side comparisons anybody have any experience with the samsung techwin soc-4160?

Were any model numbers posted with the video? I did not see any.

Best,

Christopher

Goodrich ISR Sysetms (Sensors Unlimited) do an interesting range of SWIR cameras that are supposed to be the bees knees for day/night/limited visibility operations.

If money is not an issue, the multi-thousand dollar thermal-based cameras will beat the sub-thousand dollar CMOS/CCD video cameras. The newly released Samsung STC-14 looks sweet. MSRP is probably in the range of $15,000.

Best,

Christopher

EMCCD Peltier cooled CCD cams will give you color at 0.008 lux, no frame integration...

Samsung SHC-750 is one, Toshiba IK-1000 is another.. At least $8K retail or so....

EMCCD Peltier cooled CCD cams will give you color at 0.008 lux, no frame integration...

Samsung SHC-750 is one, Toshiba IK-1000 is another.. At least $8K retail or so....

Yes, the EMCCD provides exceptional low light performance, but the thermal cameras can see you it total darkness.

Best,

Christopher

Unfortunately those cameras cost too much for anyone with any experience to actually test them, to make sure they are not just BSing us, like most manufacturers do with everything else.

Unfortunately those cameras cost too much for anyone with any experience to actually test them, to make sure they are not just BSing us, like most manufacturers do with everything else.

Yes, and it's unfortunate these cameras use low-volume relatively exotic technologies that are unlikely to come down in price any time soon.

Best,

Christopher