3RDIGLBL

Why can't everything work on both PC and MAC! ARGH

You know it makes life that much more difficult when more and more people are getting mac's these days. Some customers have both a mac and a pc which makes it even harder when they ask will this system work on both my mac and the pc.

WHY can't companies make their systems compatible on both.

I got an acti camera streaming and the friends who have ie on there PC enjoy it and those on a mac I have to say sorry acti will not stream to your mac nor will it to your chrome browser nor will it to your firefox browser.

Microsoft monopolizes again! ARGH

Well, you could stick to cameras and DVRs that DO support Mac... don't give your business to the companies that don't support you.

Of course, some remote software will work in a Windows virtual machine on the Mac using something like Fusion or Parallels.

because they don't?

it really is because of the focus Apple has taken since day one......they targeted a "group" of potiential consumers and ran with it. And when you are specialized you seem to restrict yourself to the things you can do well.

Kinda like the auto industry......they became good at "it" but never really kept pace with the overall change in the economic world. The learning curve is expensive and hard if you missed da boat.......

tell them save their money and just get a Windows PC

Seriously though it is 2 totally different OS. The programming code is different and takes alot more time and work, never to be the same either. Tell MAC to get onboard and support what Windows supports, thats the solution right there.

Or they could just use Java or some other sort of plug-in that works cross-platform. The whole "ActiveX control only" thing drives me crazy as well.

Then again, I'm a *nix geek, so companies like Exacq that actually do a linux version get props from me. Dedicated Micros, for all their faults, actually does a cross-platform Java plug-in for their DS2 DVRs.

I'm with the OP... given the choice, why wouldn't you serve a broader market? It's not as if Java programmers are hard to find. I don't understand why they'd neglect Mac, *nix, Firefox, and other non-standard browsers, when those types of systems/browsers are often used by tech-savvy users who probably have more disposable income to spend on CCTV compared to your average Joe.

just thank bill gates and steve jobs for the incompatibilities.

they've made SURE there is frustration between the two platforms.

As my friend thewireguys stated, Exacq software works on MAC as well... and probably the only commercial one that does except...

The software that we have been building that will be available in the next few months has been tested in four different platforms - Linux, BSD, Windows and MAC and it works in its preliminary format.

As Sawbones suggest, it will only work if such software uses Java allowing cross platform functionality and our distro is built with Java plug-ins across all these platforms...

Yet another interesting angle why MAC is or is not acceptable or does not work with many of our favorite software - it is built using very specific BSD code allowing them to make it probably the best GUI based BSD distro around.

Our main tests for this type of application is run using VMWare that allows to run several operating systems side by side and run the same application in such environment simultaneously.. All I can tell you right now is that this free distribution of the IP software works on four very well known operating systems without any hitch... We are working on the GUI very aggressively and we should have it fully functional before December timeline... thereafter, just testing and testing...

May be we can give Exacq run for its money? thewireguys, do not take it a wrong way, as you are very strong proponent of Exacq and I told you before that I like Exacq product... but I never cared about their charging per IP cost program... and others as well...

You know it makes life that much more difficult when more and more people are getting mac's these days. Some customers have both a mac and a pc which makes it even harder when they ask will this system work on both my mac and the pc.

WHY can't companies make their systems compatible on both.

I got an acti camera streaming and the friends who have ie on there PC enjoy it and those on a mac I have to say sorry acti will not stream to your mac nor will it to your chrome browser nor will it to your firefox browser.

Microsoft monopolizes again! ARGH

YES MICROSOFT, PLEASE MONOPOLIZES!!! WE LOVE RUNNING A ANTI-VIRUS ONLY TO FIND THAT IT DIDN'T WORK AGAINST SPYWARE AND BAAAAAAM, BLUE SCREEN!!!!! With all love your really ignorant.

I have to use a Macbook for work and all I can say is thank goodness for VMWare Fusion. Even simple things like email are terrible on a mac as you can't get Outlook on Mac or any decent MS Exchange client.

Now that Mac's are Intel based, can't you just install Windows 7 right over OS X? Then you can still look cool with Macbook, but run all the software the world has to offer. Heck, I think there's more software that will run on my iPod touch than will run on OS X.

I think there's more software that will run on my iPod touch than will run on OS X.

The funny thing is that your iPod Touch operating system is OS X.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS

"iPhone OS, known as OS X or OS X iPhone in its early history, is the operating system developed by Apple for the iPhone and iPod touch."

The funny thing is that your iPod Touch operating system is OS X.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS

"iPhone OS, known as OS X or OS X iPhone in its early history, is the operating system developed by Apple for the iPhone and iPod touch."

Yep, 2 develop iphone apps one needs to do it on a Mac. That kills it for most Developers

I did a blank search on VersionTracker and there is 194,727 applications for Windows and 22,942 for OS X.

Thats a huge difference but in my experience the os x apps are of better quality and I am more likely to keep and use.

Not worrying about viruses, spyware, malware and junk or running a anti-spyware is deffently a good reason to use os x.

I found an article over at the washingtonpost.com (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/10/avoid_windows_malware_bank_on.html):

"Virtually all of the data-stealing malware in circulation today is built to attack Windows systems, and will simply fail to run on non-Windows computers

I recently went from XP to Ubuntu and then to the latest Mac and I find the Mac an extremely limited OS, hands down if I were ever to move away from Windows it would be to Ubuntu over Mac.

I would guesstimate that apps for Windows would run more in the billions or trillions, not 194,727. I mean my apps alone you probably wont even find on that tracker.

The reason there are no malware made for mac, is mostly because the malware developers (probably mostly kids LOL) are not going to make the move to learn Objective C, and buy the Mac. And as for stability, with Wine and testing other Non mac apps, I had the latest and greatest leopard crashing non stop, so it does have vulnerabilities

Basically Windows (at least XP, Im no Vista or 7 fan) gives you ultimate control for an OS with the most applications to run on it, and hardware to support it. I must say Ubuntu gives you even somewhat more control over the OS but it has more issues with Drivers and Installing your favorite software. Im sorry to say but using the Mac OS was like using Pocket PC from 10 years ago.

to each their own though .. i have a friend that wont use anything but a Mac, he also bought into the hype about Windows being unsecure - though by default it can be which is why it requires some minimal tweaks, and also loaded down with junk from Dell and HP would turn most users away from it.

Mac has potential but it has quite a way to go yet IMO. I want to see it go somewhere though, they need to give us more control. I dont want it to look how the guys at apple want it to look - I cant stand that silly dock for one thing. give me the taskbar at the bottom, how bout that? I mean there are a ton of things but thats just a couple that teed me off. Maybe Im missing something but i spent days searching for Mac admin stuff ... not much out there, and according to the mac admins, not much can be changed. Im looking to learn a new language, but you know, I will learn one that works on Linux AND Windows before I learn one that works on Mac, just makes more sense, more users and it is free. Objective C and all the Mac programming languages require you to actually have Mac installed - give us Virtual Mac for developers to run inside Windows then ... then perhaps.

That said, Windows Vista and now Windows 7, put me off Windows for future applications. As long as XP works I will use it ... its a great OS, I mean I have it on the 673Mhz clocked netbook booting to the desktop in 10 seconds and running my remote video apps and every other app I throw at it.

I guess it really comes down to each their own preference or what they are used to using.

I like the dock probably cause I am a neat freak and I hate having stuff cluttered about or a bunch of desktop icons and clicking start>all programs and searching for what i want so the dock is perfect for me. My friend loves all his shortcuts on the desktop and the different menu bar for each running application and he loves his start button. I like having only one menu bar for everything and i don't like the start button. I don't care about where the task bar is, top or bottom I just want it clean with out all the symbols for different apps that are running in the background.

I hate auto start up applications and it seems like every application you install on windows wants to automatically start up. even the apple software for windows starts up automatically with silly iTunes helper or mobile helper and junk. I don't have this with mac or ubuntu and they are easy to turn off for the ones that do happen.

I did have my share of kernel panics on leopard and tiger but snow has been, fingers crossed, kernel panic free. I hate that when you click the red "x" to close a window on mac, that it only closed the window but leaves the application running. Another: after downloading an application you need to drag it to the applications folder to install it. WTF? You can open it, run it, use it but it will not get installed to the applications folder.

I manage a network of 2 macs, 1 Ubuntu, 4 pc xp, 1 pc vista. I don't do anything major, I just keep them updated and networked.

The Mac is the one I enjoy using over all. I think maybe because I am a clicker when I am trying to get something to work or when I am searching for software and downloading torrents and stuff this gets me into trouble. And i guess because of the control thing or lack of control on mac i don't have those problems. I also like the modern design and intuitiveness of the how the os works aside from a few flaws.

I like the dock probably cause I am a neat freak and I hate having stuff cluttered about or a bunch of desktop icons and clicking start>all programs and searching for what i want so the dock is perfect for me. My friend loves all his shortcuts on the desktop and the different menu bar for each running application and he loves his start button. I like having only one menu bar for everything and i don't like the start button. I don't care about where the task bar is, top or bottom I just want it clean with out all the symbols for different apps that are running in the background.

Im a neat freak also, I use the quick launch more then anything. Im a speed freak more then anything, that is where XP shines.

I hate auto start up applications and it seems like every application you install on windows wants to automatically start up. even the apple software for windows starts up automatically with silly iTunes helper or mobile helper and junk. I don't have this with mac or ubuntu and they are easy to turn off for the ones that do happen.

Yes alot of apps do like to do that on Windows .. its the darn programmers though .. shoot them in the leg with a BB bullet please .. I also hate apps placed on start up, unless I select them to be. Actually on Ubuntu there are alot of things on Startup .. just not as easy to see. I went through all that and stripped that bugger right down. I think with Mac, they are also there, you just dont see it. If a program opens really fast when you click on it .. it might already be open! Oh yeah .. in Windows just use Msconfig to turn off, if its a service then use the admin tools in the control panel and services, and if device use hardware devices and view hidden ... last resort is the registry .. im a king in there But yes it is very simple to remove them from startup in Windows .. remember Windows is the OS of ease .. least XP anyway!

Oh yeah, rest assured Apple's software is already running in the background on the Mac

BTW, Im running Ubuntu on the netbook now just because I love the desktop Cube and wiggly windows so much .. for show if anything .. yes I am amazed they actually run on this 673mhz CPU computer with no noticeable lag!!