todd2

Cheap mobile 4 channel DVR with network capability

I was strongly considering the EB1304MOB mobile DVR (4 channel @ D1), which I can get for

around [edit by mod-store link & dealer pricing removed]

but the one thing it's missing is network capability.

There seems to be huge price jump for anything else I can find that has network (ethernet)

capability--like to $1200 or something just for a 4 channel. There were a few leads for

a lower price mobile DVR, but they had only 2CIF and not D1 resolution.

I really don't want a PC based solution because that burns too much power. The

EB1304MOB does have a hard drive but I believe the unit uses about 2 amps @ 12V

(without the cameras). The system will be running with the vehicle OFF only, so

power consumption must be reasonable.

Any recommendations?

Seems to me that network will be somewhere further down the design priority list for a mobile unit, as very very few are going to be networked WHILE mobile...

Actually, there's a thread elsewhere in this forum where I asked about

how to remotely monitor a garage with mains power but nothing else,

and I found that a 3G router and aircard will get the job done. That made

me think that I'd like that capability for my car DVR as well.

It may not work well in a tunnel, but wherever a cell phone signal works,

I should be able to connect. The idea is that I can sit at my desk and

watch the cameras in my car so I know immediately if something happens

rather than later on when I review the security footage.

Hello todd2

Would you like to tell me exactly what you wish to do, I ask as I am working with a customer for an economic solution that sounds a bit like you are after.

We need to put together a system that can be used in a vehicle, to be parked and left over night perhaps to covertly keep an eye on a site and also a quick deploy, semi mobile unit. Both will usually need to use 3G modems (no network or Internet on site), we have a couple on trial at present, it also needs to be able to function on battery power alone. If this sounds like something you are after I can share what we have done so far.

I wonder if you have thought of an IP server with local recording as this is one route we are exploring.

All the best

Chris

SFP SECURITY

Actually, there's a thread elsewhere in this forum where I asked about

how to remotely monitor a garage with mains power but nothing else,

and I found that a 3G router and aircard will get the job done. That made

me think that I'd like that capability for my car DVR as well.

It may not work well in a tunnel, but wherever a cell phone signal works,

I should be able to connect. The idea is that I can sit at my desk and

watch the cameras in my car so I know immediately if something happens

rather than later on when I review the security footage.

Well, I didn't say it COULDN'T be done, or that there was no use for it... just that there wouldn't be a lot of call for a network port on a portable system, since in a situation where space, weight and power consumption are important design considerations, a network jack would be a lower priority

Use the AVTech AVC 760A with an inverter, and the air card router that you ask for.

The only reason I suggest the AVC 760A is that it can take a licking, and keep on ticking if the car suffers in the heat. I do not live in a cold weather climate so I cannot speak about winter use.

get the EB1304NET-SATA and replace the hard drive for a SSD.

the live and recorded quality is like 10 times better than the Avtech and most other 4 channel budget DVRs. As mentioned about other small 4 Channel DVRs, they can take the heat. I had one in a closet at the bottom of a stairway for the past year and a half, if you are in there for a couple minutes you poor with sweat, but that little bugger just keeps on going. Their boards are so small and there is not much else to them. Features suck compared to a 4channel PC DVR for about the same cost but the PC wont typically last due to the parts used. The Avtech and some others are going to be cheaper though, so if you are strapped for money that might be the one to get.

Actually, your post caused me to look at the averdigi website again and I noticed they

have announced a new product, the AverDigi EB-1304MOB NET, which seems to

be an improved version of the EB-1304MOB that has a LAN (RJ45) port and

a USB port that can accept a G3 dongle. Basically, exactly what I want.

Only problem is I don't see any for sale in the USA yet; just the announcement on the

international AverMedia website.

The other candidate I found is a Geovision Compact DVR. Are the Geovision and AverMedia

products of about the same quality level? They both also seem to make DVR cards.

The Geo is good, but I dont know anything about that particular DVR as I build them myself. Its going to be a Windows PC though, instead of a simple Embedded DVR, that means alot more heat. If you can live with the heat issue or get around it somehow, still need to look at some way to prevent hard drive failure (potholes and road conditions down here can wreck the toughest off road vehicles easily). Maybe look at the SSDs as mentioned before. Try to go with a completely fanless solution also, as they could go out of whack easily. In the end if you go PC based then you might be better off with a single IP Camera and then use a Mini PC with a 2.5" SSD. No PCI card needed and can mount it easier. (yes AK i did say that LOL)

The Geo is good, but I dont know anything about that particular DVR as I build them myself. Its going to be a Windows PC though, instead of a simple Embedded DVR, that means alot more heat)

The Geovision Compact DVR is not Windows based, it's Linux based. The case does

have a fan, but so does the AverDigi EB-1304MOB. I believe they're both spec'd to

require 5A @ 12V from the vehicle for the motherboard, cameras, & HDD.

Not sure why you think it will generate a lot more heat.

The Geovision Compact DVR is not Windows based, it's Linux based. The case does

have a fan, but so does the AverDigi EB-1304MOB. I believe they're both spec'd to

require 5A @ 12V from the vehicle for the motherboard, cameras, & HDD.

Not sure why you think it will generate a lot more heat.

Well if its Linux then its not the GeoVision we know so I generally wouldnt even bother with it. No idea about the 1304MOB but the 1304NET is just a tiny little board, nothing more, and its RTOS (Cant find specs on the Geo DVR's OS from the manufacturer site).

Cant speak for the Geo's but its much more expensive than the Avermedia and I can build a Windows based Geo system for alot less. There is alot of room in the 1304NET, i mean its literally wide open the board is that small, and the hard drive takes up very little space. The looks of the Geo it has a removable HDD bay and it looks pretty tight from the outside. Also its specified at max 122 degrees Fahrenheit. I know for a fact the 1304NET has gone higher than that, though cant say that the Geo model wont go higher also regardless of the spec. Cant speak for the MOB model. Well only way is to buy one and find out, im strapped for cash and thats a $1200 DVR time as it is landed here so wont catch me doing that any time soon

Hi. todd.

i have the new aver mobile. it is alot better than the old one. the 3g side also comes from avermedia so no need to have to set up remote view. also it is now linked to google maping. i am in the uk but i have a friend in america if you still have problems getting hold of one. what i would say is other mobile dvrs have a long way togo to catch up with the new avermedia.

i have dahua mobile dvr with 3g function,i want to set up 3g function for remote view over 3g,there are proxy server and another programs ,but i dont know how i must do,if someone can do that,please help me )))