ronhithcox

Wireless IP cameras???? any ideas?

anyone had any good exp with "wireless IP" cameras? need a direction to start looking and have not used "wireless IP" before.

thanks so much for any help

Ron

Why do you want to use wireless?

What are these cameras for?

If you are thinking about installing a couple if wireless cameras in a office building or a home your not gonna have a reliable system.

Remember even though the data maybe wireless you still have to power the camera so unless the camera is on the other side of a parking lot on a pole with power you should run a wire for data.

YOU MUST DO A SITE SURVEY BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.

no offense to blackhole37 but that stuff is junk

I don't recommend a IP camera with built in wireless. Pick the camera analog or IP then pick the wireless AP that will work in your environment.

Now if your just don't this for a hobble go a head a try the cheap stuff I may or may not work, it may work some time, or it way work for 3 months and then just stop.

If your serious about security hire a professional that has experience with WIFI and IP cameras

I have installed several systems and learnt through my errors that it is a case of choosing the right IP wireless products.

I know a few that do work and many that dont.

There is a post here I contributed to but i can't find it to link to.

my preferred product is WaveSight in a point to point configuration.

i have used avalan wireless point to point bridge 5.8ghz 1.5mb/s radios and they have worked well

i have also used microtek for analog wireless and they do work but you get interference with the picture

if i need wireless from now on i go with mobotix for the camera and avalan -- it was really easy i just plugged them in and they work, no need to address the radios they auto detect and you're good

i have used avalan wireless point to point bridge 5.8ghz 1.5mb/s radios and they have worked well

i have also used microtek for analog wireless and they do work but you get interference with the picture

if i need wireless from now on i go with mobotix for the camera and avalan -- it was really easy i just plugged them in and they work, no need to address the radios they auto detect and you're good

I have heard good reports on Avalan but not had first hand experience.

My only comment on the Mobotix is to get the full resolution you need 4Mbps or more. Im not sure if it records a separate stream to the live.

The IndigoVision I have used was set to stream live at 25ips CIF and record at 8ips 4CIF. It provided full PTZ control and only needed 512Mbps while the camera was not moving and 1.5Mbps while moving the PTZ.

I have heard good reports on Avalan but not had first hand experience.

My only comment on the Mobotix is to get the full resolution you need 4Mbps or more. Im not sure if it records a separate stream to the live.

The IndigoVision I have used was set to stream live at 25ips CIF and record at 8ips 4CIF. It provided full PTZ control and only needed 512Mbps while the camera was not moving and 1.5Mbps while moving the PTZ.

Yes Mobotix can record the full 3MP locally can you can view a different size image CIF, 4CIF, D1 whatever you want. Each user can also pull a different resolution.

Why not look into EnGenius or Ubiquiti Networks so much cheaper then everything else.

For large scale wireless IP video surveillance projects (i.e. more than a few outlying cameras) I recommend you check out Firetide wireless infrastructure mesh. I work for Firetide so obviously biased but you can PM me for more details.

For large scale wireless IP video surveillance projects (i.e. more than a few outlying cameras) I recommend you check out Firetide wireless infrastructure mesh.

What is you experience with multicasting in this product?

Multicast is essential for larger video systems with many operators.

I have found some products create a broadcast storm when you multicast

Yes, indeed multicast traffic can be a big problem for a wireless install.

You will see this requirement when the customer specifies separate streams for viewing vs storage, and in any deployments with multiple command centers that need access to the same stream in real-time -- such as for special events, where you may have a field command center and multiple remote operations centers. Additionally, if there are analog cameras on the wireless IP network (via encoders) many of these streams present themselves to the wireless side as multicast, regardless of the actual end-user requirement.

For b/g for example, this automatically brings down the data rate from 54 Mbps to 6 Mbps, because of the way 802.11 protocol is set up to deal with multicast traffic. That's why the ability to handle multicast traffic effectively is such a key requirement for wireless video. Firetide handles this via encapsulation schemes embedded into our routing protocol. This comes up in at least 50% of our deployments, maybe even at a higher rate; and this is where many of wireless providers hit a roadblock.

To clarify, mesh is not a Wi-Fi access point based -- i.e. there's no client access over Wi-Fi provided. Only other mesh nodes can see the mesh nodes. Cameras plug into an Ethernet port on a mesh node, so you do need to provide power to the mesh node, which in turn can provide PoE to the camera. To provide client access (if desired) you can plug in an access point into a mesh node.

Back to multicast traffic, it's not an issue on a Firetide mesh.

Yes, indeed multicast traffic can be a big problem for a wireless install.

You will see this requirement when the customer specifies separate streams for viewing vs storage, and in any deployments with multiple command centers that need access to the same stream in real-time -- such as for special events, where you may have a field command center and multiple remote operations centers. Additionally, if there are analog cameras on the wireless IP network (via encoders) many of these streams present themselves to the wireless side as multicast, regardless of the actual end-user requirement.

For b/g for example, this automatically brings down the data rate from 54 Mbps to 6 Mbps, because of the way 802.11 protocol is set up to deal with multicast traffic. That's why the ability to handle multicast traffic effectively is such a key requirement for wireless video. Firetide handles this via encapsulation schemes embedded into our routing protocol. This comes up in at least 50% of our deployments, maybe even at a higher rate; and this is where many of wireless providers hit a roadblock.

To clarify, mesh is not a Wi-Fi access point based -- i.e. there's no client access over Wi-Fi provided. Only other mesh nodes can see the mesh nodes. Cameras plug into an Ethernet port on a mesh node, so you do need to provide power to the mesh node, which in turn can provide PoE to the camera. To provide client access (if desired) you can plug in an access point into a mesh node.

Back to multicast traffic, it's not an issue on a Firetide mesh.

welcome keep the knowledge coming

All my stuff is wireless. But that between infrustructure not directly to the camera. I use Cisco 1410. 5.8GHz 54mb/s bridges between trailers that hold my cameras. I can mount up to 20 cameras on a trailer (Power capacity limit). On the trailer I run Cisco IE 3000 (Industrial Ethernet switch) The link and switch support all the Vlan, STP, Multicating IGMP and QoS protoclols. As its all the same gear you have some guarentee that the protocols are compatible.

I also run a Tropos mesh 2.4GHz + 5.4GHz which doesn't support Multicasting. this is for my high availability gear like slope radars. So design the network to pass data via either wireless system apart from my cameras which I VLan though the 1410's only. Tropos are close to supporting multicast over mesh so I expect to be testing that in the near future. I also run ELPro 2.4GHz for IP, Serial, Modbus and Digital IP as clients to Tropos. They are nice low powered devices and could support cameras once Tropos can multicast. I then run another separate 2.4 GHz mesh for my heavy vehicals. Every thing runns through the IE 3000's and connected to the 1410 backbone via vlans and trunking.

All in all I have about 500Mb/s wireless data coming in and its pretty bullet proof. Ihave about 300 IP addresses on wireless.

All in all I have about 500Mb/s wireless data coming in and its pretty bullet proof. Ihave about 300 IP addresses on wireless.

hey woody, you arent worried about the radiation?

hey woody, you arent worried about the radiation?

The third arm comes in quite handy really.

Axis 207W Wireless Network Camera, they are latest and good ones.

U will face less problems if u really gng for wireless, other wise use cat6 IP cameras, they r more reliable.

If u just wanna scare people use wireless, if u really wanna monitor use wired ones.

The AXIS 207W comes with both wireless IEEE802.11g and Ethernet network interface for flexible installation. It supports the WPA-PSK

and it supports MPEG-4 too.

I have had massive success with IndigoVision over wireless. Even the HD cameras work well.

I can rattle of several sites where they are installed and several others where we retro fitted them in place of other products that used too much bandwidth.

Ofcourse,We are selling IP based cameras stand alone cameras,we have more experience than others please contact us for more details.

Regards

Bilal Khan