thewireguys

LP capture design

Need some ideas for this install I am doing. I need to get plates off of cars when they stop to dump there yard wast. The cars pull of the side off the road and stop but besides putting a camera directly in front of that car as 3 feet high I am running out of ideas. I don't want to do that because it will be very easy for someone to pull the camera off or cover it up. I am thinking a speed bump camera but there is no traffic pattern and we have snow.

All cameras have to stay inside the red box and the blue box is where the cars park. The green Vs are the FOV of the cameras. I am thinking the speed bump cameras are the way to go. We are not using LPR software.

Ideas?

109265_1.jpg

I'm a noob,but what about putting up pole cameras and a ptz on that white building where the vans are parked with a 30x zoom?

hidden > board cameras with a 12mm or higher fixed lens (or auto iris micro varifocal board lens)

inside a weatherproof gang box mounted at a lower height?

You might be able to even fit one of those acti cameras in something silimar. Is this daytime only?

Not much that we can suggest.

Staying inside of the box, and getting plates appears to be doable from what you have outlined.

To keep people from feeling uncomfortable with the cameras then move them to the very edge of the red box, and use telephoto lens to get back up on the plates.

What are you doing for winter when it gets dark early, and you need to see the plates?

You LPR situation is not a problem. Your cars are not in motion. That solves 90% of the problems. Moving vehicles are harder compared to a static (not in motion) vehicle.

install a couple LPR cameras and then an overview camera to catch anyone messing with them ??

Not much that we can suggest.

Staying inside of the box, and getting plates appears to be doable from what you have outlined.

To keep people from feeling uncomfortable with the cameras then move them to the very edge of the red box, and use telephoto lens to get back up on the plates.

What are you doing for winter when it gets dark early, and you need to see the plates?

You LPR situation is not a problem. Your cars are not in motion. That solves 90% of the problems. Moving vehicles are harder compared to a static (not in motion) vehicle.

There is no need for LPR cameras but like I said unless I hide the cameras in a outdoor box (like rory said) it will be very easy for somebody to cover or remove the cameras. The cameras will be within 10 feet of the front and rear of the cars but the area is more then a width of a car so there is a possibility that they could park and not get the plates. I am meeting with the head maintenance guy tomorrow to see what we can come up with. Thinking maybe he can paint some lines to get people to park more consistently. I am also gonna show him the speed bump cameras and see what he thinks.

How many vehicles pull in at a time? Do they park parallel or perpendicular to the road? Does your state DOT require both front and rear license plates? Does the recording device need to be in close proximity? These questions are mostly rhetorical as I think you’re correct with getting a vehicle path established first. Control your physical environment as much as you can and then go at it with electronics. Create a choke-point. If there is concern about someone intentionally blocking or damaging the camera, you can put up a sacrificial hide-in-plain-sight “dummyâ€

Thanks for the ideas guys. We meet with the township and we can't go the speed bump route because there is no way to force people to go over them. Also I know what will happen all of the people that are obeying the law will drive over them and the people we need to catch will pull up on the grass next to the dumpster and we will be out of luck. There just isn't a way to control the traffic here.

So we are going with 2 Arecont AV1355DN to get plates and 1 AV8185 for overall coverage with added light for night time.