FINCH

Vehicle Camera Suggestion

Hello all. I have a question. I have a few years of CCTV experience when i was in Loss Prevention but have since moved on to a different career. I now drive a rig all over Canada and the USA. I am looking to put a dash cam in my rig, and have seen many systems, but i want to save money and build my own since i have quite a bit of experience. I am however lost when it comes to a camera that works best while moving and at night. Is there something special i should look for specifications wise when looking for a camera? If you have any experience with video recording while driving please post your suggestions. Thx!

I would suggest something along the line of a Avermedia 1304MOB DVR and a good quality, low light capable box style camera with a rubber or silicone mounting to quell vibration. Even a good quality bullet would work. I installed one in the tailgate of my truck (Ram 2500 diesel) a while back (wired directly to the monitor), and it sent a perfectly clear image regardless of how rough the roads were.

Edited by Guest

I would suggest something along the line of a Avermedia 1304MOB DVR and a good quality, low light capable box style camera with a rubber or silicone mounting to quell vibration. Even a good quality bullet would work. I installed one in the tailgate of my truck (Ram 2500 diesel) a while back (wired directly to the monitor), and it send a perfectly clear image regardless of how rough the roads are.

Hi Finch. like WRS-MARK i would also take a look at the avermedia. but ask your dealer to show you the new model 1304 mob/net/gsm/gps.

i have one as a demo at the moment. but seems very good (only had it testing the last 10 days)

Since you have plenty of room use a true day/night box camera with an IR corrected lens, perhaps a 10-50 vari-focal. The focal length needed depends what you are looking to catch. I've use a pair of 3.6mm lens/cameras to catch a 150 degree panorama but I couldn't read a license plate.

Having audio is handy in case you need to read off plates or record a conversation. Oh, and having a small monitor is essential for setup and playing back video.

I've used the Aver 1304 non mobile in my van from time to time to do some surveillance, it uses 12 volt too. The MOB has mounting brackets, and shock mounts for HD and the circuitt board. Check out the newest Aver's they have GPS input, and WiFi. Look forward to your update

I have no idea about CCTV but i would suggest something along the line of a Avermedia 1304MOB DVR and a good quality, low light capable box style camera with a rubber or silicone mounting to quell vibration.