BabiesNBellies

DVR Card vs. Standalone DVR for budget home system

Hello All,

Well my wife and I had a little baby girl at the end of Aug. and instead of buying 2 new baby monitors that would run me $400 decided to look into some different CCTV options and see if we could watch the girls in the backyard as well.

First I tried some wireless IP cameras but the ones that were in my budget worked great during the day but without IR just went black at night which didn't work so well as a baby monitor.

After my defeat with the wireless cameras I found a 8 channel DVR card and 2 outdoor and 2 indoor cameras with all the wiring for just under $300. Thought I scored and the wife would be happy but after getting everything and trying several times to get the DVR card working found out that it does not support AMD computers.

I think the cameras I got are going to do the job so I am trying not to return those but instead just find a a new solution for the DVR part. Granted my wife and I really don't care about recording but we do want to hook it up to our computer monitor and be able to view remotely. I found a DVR at CCTVHOTDEALS DOT COM for $190 without HD but it will run with out it and then my wife and I can always add a HD if needed. My question is am I better off going with the Standalone DVR or is there a DVR Card that will work with an AMD computer that is cheaper than $190?

Any input would be greatful.

Thanks,

Jeff

Here are the specs for the DVR, it's a Zmodo, same with the cameras:

The ZMD-H9004UV-NHD is a 4 channel, fully integrated, real time, hardware based standalone digital video recorder. This standalone DVR is based on embedded Linux operating system and includes a remote control for easy setup and operation. With alarm input/output, Pan/Tilt/Zoom (PTZ) camera control, network access and USB2.0 backup, this DVR is perfect for the home or small business.

The DVR uses the latest in compression technology, H.264, to be able to record amazing quality video without using up a large amount of storage space. The H.264 compression allows crisper, cleaner images to be recorded and still be capable of weeks of recording on motion detection mode. A variety of recording modes are supported by this DVR. These include scheduling, motion detected recording, continuous recording or a combination of any modes. In addition, this DVR support the remote preview live! display via smartphone and 3G mobile technology!

Features

•Embedded Linux OS

•H.264 Hardware Compression

•Support SATA HD up to 1TB

•Video Input / Output: BNC 4/BNC 2

•Video Output: VGA

•Audio Input / Output: RCA 4/RCA 2

•Signal System: NTSC / PAL

•Display: 120 fps

•Record: 120 fps

•Recording Mode: Continuous/Scheduled/Motion/Sensor

•Display Mode: Each/All/Auto Switch/Hidden

•Playback Search: Time & Date, Event List

•Network: RJ45 TCP/IP or DDNS

•Remote Access: LAN or IE Browser

•IR Remote Control

•Support Live! Preview via 3G Mobile

•PTZ via RS-485 Port

•Sensor/Alarm: 4 CH/1CH

•Plug-n-Play

•Hard Drive is not including

Package Includes

•(1) ZMD-H9004UV-NHD DVR System

•(1) IR Remote Control

•(1) User's Manual

Warranty

•One Year Warranty

How about your budget? As the brand ZMD-H9004UV-NHD you listed, sounds good from the specs. I have once got one kit from this company, the result is not bad.

If you really want to buy the right one, you may contact with their sales or customer service, and ask for more information...

Good luck!

Maybe you can go on Geovision Cards

Must use Intel chip set motherboards on ALL models. The motherboard can be Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte. The CPU can be AMD or Intel. Celeron should NOT be used.

Hi, Jeff, If the budget counts most, a DVR Card may be a better choice!

Some are lower than $190 and also compatible to some AMD Processors. Just for your reference, Hope it helps!

Geovision is a good card, but you really pay for the brand. And, in my opinion, the software is pretty bloated.

You could get a 4 camera realtime card for less than $140

After many years installing these things, from my experience although the geovision cards are good, standalone DVR's not only offer lower cost of ownership but tend to be easier to maintain & more reliable than PC systems, especially if the PC you are installing the card on is not new.

So if all you need is a budget system with minimum of fuss, standalone is the way to go. If you need a few more features than what a standalone can offer, then the GeoVision card would do fine.

After many years installing these things, from my experience although the geovision cards are good, standalone DVR's not only offer lower cost of ownership but tend to be easier to maintain & more reliable than PC systems, especially if the PC you are installing the card on is not new.

So if all you need is a budget system with minimum of fuss, standalone is the way to go. If you need a few more features than what a standalone can offer, then the GeoVision card would do fine.

Whichever way you go, the same rule always applies: you get what you pay for. We've put in a number of cheap (and I do mean CHEAP) standalone DVRs because the client wanted to spend very little money, and had hideous failure rates. We've also put in good units like Digital Watchdog that run flawlessly for years... but cost as much as a low-end DIY PC system.

If it's something you're experimenting with or is being used in a non-critical environment, you can go standalone OR PC and cheap out and probably be fine... if security is important, spend the money for something good. Don't let cost be your determining factor; there are lots of other criteria to base a buying decision on: ease of use, space available for installation, features, expandability, upgradeability, etc.

I kind of agree with Securicorp ..

Things to consider when using a DVR Card ..

1) The card may be cheap .. but u gotta factor in the cost of setting up a PC system .. with the CPU/Mobo/RAM .. casing .. fans etc .. so unless u have a PC that is lying around and still meet the required specs .. it may likely cost quite a bit .. esp if u are building a 4-Ch PC Based ..

2) PC knowledge .. it is 1 thing to plug the DVR into a PC .. and it is totally a different game if you are building a system that is running 24/7 .. the PSU .. the fans .. the mainboard ..

U gotta ensure sufficient cooling and yet for the system to be quiet enough not to disturb the serenity of your home

3) The hassle .. the problem with PC is that there are many points of failure .. I m new in this line but the amount of troubleshooting I've already done on those PC based DVRs is killing me..

I personally favour PC-Based a great deal due to it robustness and customisability .. but .. unless u r relatively experienced in building PCs and extremely adventurous .. a stand-alone will save u a lot of panadols