bpzle

NV6480e Jitters

I ran into quite a few of supposedly rare problems setting up a 6480 system for a client the other day. I thought maybe some one out there could benefit from what I found.

The first problem was that XP would not recognize the PCIe NV6480e card simultaneously with the graphics video card. Good bios settings, clearing off Norton Anti Virus, disabling the firewall, installing/ uninstalling the software, upgrading to newer versions, even loading a fresh new copy of XP did not remedy the situation. Turns out the brand spankin' new Vostro I purchased directly from Dell shipped with an outdated version of bios. The issue was addressed with a newer version of bios off Dell's website.Voila! XP recognizes and it installed successfully!

The next issue was real strange. After installing and configuring the system with version 7.5, channel 2 and 7 would STOP recording at exactly 7pm every night and begin recording again at about 8am the following morning. Aver's tech support logged in and checked it out. I thought maybe there was some funky settings I missed, but it was configured properly. They recommended upgrading to version 7.7 and sure enough this fixed the issue. I searched for people with similar issues with 7.5, but never found any. Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling 7.5 would have worked?

Like I said, supposedly all these problems are rare. But my experience has taught me PC based equipment is hardly ever as plug and play as manufacturers claim.

So, after spending many hours figuring out all of those problems, the system is running like a champ and the client is happy. I hope this entry helps someone out there. I had been searching and searching for someone that at ran into similar issues.

For those interested in hardware specs, here they are.

Order Details

Vostro 420 Tower 2

317-0191

Core2 Duo E7500/2.93GHz,3M 1066FSB,Vostro

317-1881

3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel DT Vostro

330-1725

Dell USB,ENG,Black,Vostro

330-0077

DELL OPTICAL USB MOUSE VOSTRO

320-8255

Dell 20 Inch Flat Panel Display,E2010HT Black Vostro

320-8284

512 ATI Radeon HD 4350 Vostro

341-7792

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, Vostro

341-7810

No Floppy Drive or Media Reader

420-7658

Dell Support Center 2.0 for Dell Vostro

467-7024

WINDOWS XP PRO SP3 with Windows Vista Business LicenseEnglish,Desktop,Vostro

I thought 7.5 did not support NV6480 by their limitation in the release notes...

"Limitation]

1. First 10 seconds of each hour would be recorded under motion recording status

2. H264 compression needs more CPU resource and will reduce the FPS per channel

3. OSD control is not supported under dual monitor environment

4. IP camera installation is limited up to 8 channels for NV5000 system

5. NV6000 series is not supported in this version

6. Up to total 42 mega pixel resolution for all IP camera channels could be installed in one

system

AVerMedia INFORMATION, Inc."

Just for the record, when looking for a ready built system for a PC DVR, may want to check out the Systemax Models from tigerdirect, they use complete motherboards, like the same stuff we would use if we build it ourselfs, while others like Dell and HP typically have limited models.

I thought 7.5 did not support NV6480 by their limitation in the release notes...

"Limitation]

1. First 10 seconds of each hour would be recorded under motion recording status

2. H264 compression needs more CPU resource and will reduce the FPS per channel

3. OSD control is not supported under dual monitor environment

4. IP camera installation is limited up to 8 channels for NV5000 system

5. NV6000 series is not supported in this version

6. Up to total 42 mega pixel resolution for all IP camera channels could be installed in one

system

AVerMedia INFORMATION, Inc."

That's what it shipped with from a authorized Aver distributor... Valid CD Key too.

i'm sorry, not sure about how did you finally solve the problem... i ask this because at the present time i have a dvr (2 nv6480e cards) with similar problem, channels 10 to 16 just stop recording after 6 ~ 24 hrs, i already changed motherboard, video card, psu, OS from windows 7 starter to xp professioinal sp3, win7 ultimate, dvr sorftwaare 7.7.0.55, and the problem's still present. any help will be appreciated.

what should i fix/change?

actual hardware configuration is:

Intel Core 2 Quad

2GB DDR3 1066 Mhz

Mb Gigabyet GA-EP43t-USB3

2 HD SATA disk 01 1TB 2 partitions, one for system, disk 02 2TB

Video card ECS chipset NVIDIA 8400GS

2 NV6480E for 32 channels

OS Windows 7 Ultimate

24 analog cameras CNB G1315NF

1 PTZ analog camera CNB 270x protocol Pelco-D

1 protocol converter usb to RS485 from geovision

cameras and DVR are properly grounded

What make/ model HDDs are you using? Are you storing video on the same partition or disk as your OS?

What size PSU do you have, and is it brand new?

Is this a clean install Windows?

Is antivirus disabled?

Do you have all the latest drivers for each of your PC componets?

if you are missing segments in your back-up screen (white and not blue squares) then first check your H/Drives make sure there are staying cool (add more fans) and dont use green H/D or AV drives.

and with a 32 cam system you will also need to turn down your frame rate on some cameras (if you are running full frame rate on every camera this will also give you problems ....... put 5 or 6 channals down to 7 fps.

if on H264.

What make/ model HDDs are you using? Are you storing video on the same partition or disk as your OS?

Two HD's

01 Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device (931 GB, IDE)

02 WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 ATA Device (1863 GB, IDE)

Partitions:

HD01 C: (NTFS) 102399 MB (93208 MB free) Operative System is here

HD01 E: (NTFS) 851362 MB (16383 MB free) for video recording

HD02 F: (NTFS) 1783849 MB (26381 MB free) for video recording

HD02 Z: (NTFS) 123876 MB (109091 MB free) backup, disk image for system partition

What size PSU do you have, and is it brand new?

yes, brand new 800W

Is this a clean install Windows?

sure, clean install with the 3 OS's i've tried.

Is antivirus disabled?

Actually, i have no antivirus installed.

Do you have all the latest drivers for each of your PC componets?

that's right, Service packs for OS, drivers for hardware.

if you are missing segments in your back-up screen (white and not blue squares) then first check your H/Drives make sure there are staying cool (add more fans) and dont use green H/D or AV drives.

i already put a 4"x4" fan just for the HD's, i'm not sure what do you mean by green or AV, but the WD is a Caviar Green or something. About this point i have to say that this is the 2nd dvr i built with same characteristics, 2 HD caviar green 1TB each. Everything was fine with that 1st DVR until it got burned by 13000VAC (not my fault ) the main differences between 1st and 2nd dvr are:

proc 1: core 2 duo

mb 1: ga-g31-s3g

ram1: ddr2

proc 2: core 2 quad

mb 2: ga-ep45-udr3, ga-ep45t-usb3

ram2: ddr3

and with a 32 cam system you will also need to turn down your frame rate on some cameras (if you are running full frame rate on every camera this will also give you problems ....... put 5 or 6 channals down to 7 fps.

if on H264.

I use MPEG4 compression, smaller resolution, about fps i used full framerate as on the 1st dvr.

I want to thank you both for your replies, at this time i've sent the cards to the wholesale distributor, but if i got no solution from him i'll be back to try your suggestions and hopefully we can find a solution to share.

avermedias will not run WD Caviar Green so you will need to swap them. use WD standard also when you do your partition only partition 1 drive for op/system and back-up dont partition your second drive (video data drive.)

thanks for your reply tomcctv, as i said before, i've used 2 caviar green in the 1st dvr, so i know for sure that caviar green hd's work fine, about partitions i'll try what you say, because it seems my provider has no idea what's going on with this issue. i'll let you know the results.

What I found with the greens was jittery video on at least the Geovision PC DVR, even switching to a 5400rpm USB drive the issue was fixed. I was forced however to purchase a 2TB Green drive for a current job (all I could get locally) using a different DVR, a stand alone from Dahua - will see how this one goes, may have been a Geovision issue with it or even that it was an AV drive or just something else wrong with the drive that was not being reported with SMART or even on all the scans I did. Will report back even though its not the same DVR.

thanks for your reply tomcctv, as i said before, i've used 2 caviar green in the 1st dvr, so i know for sure that caviar green hd's work fine, about partitions i'll try what you say, because it seems my provider has no idea what's going on with this issue. i'll let you know the results.

Green drives do NOT work fine. I know from personal experience and so does Tom. I've tried them in cheap 4 channel standalones and pc based Aver units... Took me a couple times to learn the hard way.

The drives may not be the only problem, but that is where you need to start. That's the advice you're getting from more than 1 person that does this for a living...but do what you want.

Hi Guys,

I have also had the problem of non recorded video, Video records all the time with blue indicated in the timeline but it shows intermittent white blocks on the same two cameras, sometimes a third. The system was one server of 15 installed, the others do not have this issue. All the systems used 8x 1TB Seagate SV3.5, raided in mirrored pairs which are optimized for constant write (digital recording). The cases(thermaltake armour) have 5 large fans for cooling, so there shouldn't be heat issues. I have tried different revisions of software with same results. No luck with Aver tech support as well. I will see if i can narrow it down to which set of drives this happens on, but I don't think that this it as the drives are mirrored. Anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks....Mark