bpzle

Enterprise level systems. What's your favorite?

Enterprise software solution?

Well, how about Intellevision! It has over 52 installed bases right now mainly in military and government locations with special requirements... pertinent to resolution requirements and more importantly video analytics using FLIR cameras...

This is the software that will be released on December to general public for use at no cost... with limitations up to 1028 cameras capable, native H.264 compression at the server side and more...

Dependent on application and besides Intellevision, the Genetec looks good and as well as Eyesoft, Exacq and even Milestone.. Some of the priopetary once are ok - Avigilon looks great and so does D-Link and others...

My one beef with all these various solutions is the cost... and of course that is a different thread all together...

Can you please explain what you mean "native H.264 compression at the server side"? this does not make any sense to me.

What cameras does this software curently support?

Guys, lets not change the topic of this thread... if you do not understand the comments, then we will address it in a different thread about it.

At the moment, it works with 33 different cameras (including IP PTZ domes) that we could get our hand on... and more should come soon... some manufacturers give them to us and some we buy...

So, what is your favorite and why...

Geez mate, I understand very well you you said, do you? Compression at the Server in H.264, REALLY? pass......

So no compression at the cameras or encoders eh? Stream staight to the server before compression eh? wow

Well it must not suck that bad

Guess I need to repeat myself:

Browser based apps suck.

Best to install a client.

If they want to use crappy software, thats their rights.

But ofcourse, everything posted on this forum is just a persons opinion.

How do you know their software sucks? Because that it is very bold statement if you never used it. It worked very well when I tested it for 2 months. The only reason I am not using it for our solution is I want one NVR software solution to support and their software doesn't make sense for smaller camera counts.

Keep in mind, this is the same guy who said "Slow Shutter speed is USELESS for CCTV." and was given at least one example where it wasn't...

Rory seems to deal in absolutes, and if something doesn't work or doesn't have a purpose in HIS world, then it's useless in everyone else's world as well.

Im really getting tired of how anal some of you guys are. Its like talking to 10 year olds sometimes. I dont have explain anything but I said BROWSER BASED APPS SUCK. Anything that has to run within a browser sucks. That is my opinion. I could explain it more in depth but I dont see any point as I dont care whether you or anyone else uses it or not. End of story.

Wow... anal, eh? Pot, meet kettle. For someone who "doesn't care" you sure spend a lot of time arguing about it.

What "sucks" is proprietary client apps that only run on a single platform and require installation anywhere you want to use it. I've seen plenty of client apps that suck on their own, because they were written by software engineers with no sense of aesthetics, who never actually use the stuff for its intended purpose so they have no idea HOW it should actually work. But does that mean ALL client apps suck? No. Does it mean I go around saying "ALL PC-BASED APPS SUCK"? No. That would be ridiculous.

And so is your statement.

Im really getting tired of how anal some of you guys are. Its like talking to 10 year olds sometimes. I dont have explain anything but I said BROWSER BASED APPS SUCK. Anything that has to run within a browser sucks. That is my opinion. I could explain it more in depth but I dont see any point as I dont care whether you or anyone else uses it or not. End of story.

Wooow what an answer

Have u ever bought ,install and use any IP mega pix cameras and software ?

I don't think so

u talk about low light

and all u talk is KT$C B/W bullets

with lousy CIF to D1 resolution

which u never post even one decent pic

I am not trying to get personal

but ...... your statement is too much for me

Edited by Guest

Rory seems to deal in absolutes, and if something doesn't work or doesn't have a purpose in HIS world, then it's useless in everyone else's world as well.

NO, what i dont deal in is explaining myself to people that are ANAL about everything, people That want to nit pick EVERYTHING that someone types on a forum just in some feeble attempt to make themselves look better to potential clients. Do as you please but if you are going to reply to me make sure it is worth it.

Wooow what an answer

Have u ever bought ,install and use any IP mega pix cameras and software ?

I don't think so

u talk about low light

and all u talk is KT$C B/W bullets

with lousy CIF to D1 resolution

which u never post even one decent pic

I am not trying to get personal

but ...... your statement is too much for me

So we get it, you like browser based apps and also have no clue about decent CCTV or securing your clients property, thats fine.

Personal? How could it be coming from an anonymous forum user that calls themselves ak357.

How do you know their software sucks? Because that it is very bold statement if you never used it. It worked very well when I tested it for 2 months. The only reason I am not using it for our solution is I want one NVR software solution to support and their software doesn't make sense for smaller camera counts.

So you expect a bunch of very intelligent cctv and IT guys not to be anal? Come on Rory, I was just curious to know your experience with this software to know that it sucks.

So you expect a bunch of very intelligent cctv and IT guys not to be anal? Come on Rory, I was just curious to know your experience with this software to know that it sucks.

Firstly, i typed BROWSER BASED APPS suck, if you want to take that as this software that is entirely up to you, but it is not what i typed. Secondly if you want to know why I think browser based apps suck, please use the search as it is well documented on this forum already.

So I am wondering what is making a system/software an enterprise system or not?

JD

First up. What do most here define as "Enterprise Class"?

This will limit the field a bit.

For example I dont see sticking capture cards and a peice of software into a domestic or commercial grade PC as an Enterprise Class solution. Nor DVR's networked together.

To me an Enterprise Class solution is NVR Server Based (rated as an Enterprise class server by the manufacturer), End to End engineered from cameras to client software. Support for its own cameras, analog, and third party IP cameras, such as those as members of ONVIF, (MPEG4, MJPEG, H.264, JPEG2000 compression support), HLI integration to Access Control and Alarm Systems, IP Intercoms, BMS and Fire Systems, a .NET SDK or similar to provide this type of integration at a high level. Can handle 1 to 100;s to 1000's of cameras connected via Lan and Wan, Has mirror redundant and fail over recording capabilities. Can be run up in a VM enviro as well as dedicated server. Graphic mapping interfaces. etc etc..

And most of all, run day in day out without the need for high maintenance.

What are your thoughts?

Great questions

Geez mate, I understand very well you you said, do you? Compression at the Server in H.264, REALLY? pass......

So no compression at the cameras or encoders eh? Stream staight to the server before compression eh? wow

Without going with too much of details, if YOUR camera streams H.264, it takes it and stores as such and if you stream any other format, then actual conversion takes place at the server side... Any other questions mate?

Hey guys!! What I have loved about this forum is the friendly and helpful attitude towards eachother. What happened? Can we just quit this BS and get back on track?

My opinion is that web based clients are great but not for 24/7 usage. A system can have both an installable client and a web based client since they complement eachother. Thats my opinion, different opinions are welcome..

Hey guys!! What I have loved about this forum is the friendly and helpful attitude towards eachother. What happened? Can we just quit this BS and get back on track?

My opinion is that web based clients are great but not for 24/7 usage. A system can have both an installable client and a web based client since they complement eachother. Thats my opinion, different opinions are welcome..

AMEN BROTHER!

Without going with too much of details, if YOUR camera streams H.264, it takes it and stores as such and if you stream any other format, then actual conversion takes place at the server side... Any other questions mate?

Thanks for the response, and yes your response has raised many questions. Are you re-encoding prior to committing to disk or post? Have you considered latency with such a task? also processing requirements? questions just to start with....

No need to answer these questions here as I dont want to hyjack this thread, maybe if you could start a new thread with your proposed system, features and benifits. Thanks.

Thanks for the response, and yes your response has raised many questions. Are you re-encoding prior to committing to disk or post? Have you considered latency with such a task? also processing requirements? questions just to start with....

No need to answer these questions here as I dont want to hyjack this thread, maybe if you could start a new thread with your proposed system, features and benifits. Thanks.

I concur - this discussion for this software is not part of this thread... There is a different thread already in place, but did not go through this much details... yet at least... but to keep the answers short for now, the answers are Yes (certain models and more considerations daily for other modesl), Yes and Yes..

Agreed on both counts. There is no one perfect camera, DVR, or software style for every application - that's WHY so many different variations exist!

Agreed on both counts. There is no one perfect camera, DVR, or software style for every application - that's WHY so many different variations exist!

Agreed.... I would be nice for everyone to list there favorite NVR software solution and list the advantages and disadvantages if each. This could be very helpful for everyone.

Agreed.... I would be nice for everyone to list there favorite NVR software solution and list the advantages and disadvantages if each. This could be very helpful for everyone.

Does this forum site support spreadsheet?

JD