Michelangelo

Best switches for IP cameras

Hi guys. I would like your opinion on the best switches for IP cams. Which are your favourites? Which ones keep on running with excellent performance and which ones have failed you or made you unhappy.

Depends somewhat on the number and type of camera (specifically, how much data the switch will be required to handle). One site, I have seven 3MP Areconts channeling nicely through a D-Link DGS-1008D 8-port gigabit switch (a budget model, retails about CDN$55) There are also seven ACTi domes routing through another DGS-1008D, that are having what appear to be traffic-related issues, but those are MPEG-4 vs. the Areconts' H.264, and they're in high-traffic areas, meaning they're streaming a LOT more data through.

For smaller installs, I've used a number of D-Link DSS-5+ and DSS-8+ 10/100 switches without problems; some have been running for several years now.

I've also used the LinkSys SFE-1000P on a number of sites - it's got eight 10/100 PoE ports as well as two GbE/fiber ports, and works GREAT for running PoE cameras, along with a DVR and NAS plugged into the GbE ports. It's also a bit pricier, I think retails about CDN$300, but they've proven to be a very solid performer.

for under 8 the linsys/cisco 8ch poe switch has been solid for my larger installs i have been using adtran 24port poe switches with 4 port gig uplinks for the storage servers and they have done well

for the large managed switches it goes adtran, hp, cisco in order of cost and some would say performance but ive been happy with the adtrans - they run about a grand

Hi guys. I would like your opinion on the best switches for IP cams. Which are your favourites? Which ones keep on running with excellent performance and which ones have failed you or made you unhappy.

From my experience we have used HP (PWR models), Cisco, D-Link and Planet. We installed at the last site 2610-24/12PWR. Switch works with 14 Avigilon cameras from 1 to 5 megapixel and 2 x encoders ENC-4PORT as well. There aren't any failures or data losts. At the other site we installed 2 x 2610-24PWR that give power and transmit data from 42 Arecont Vision cameras from 1.3 to 3 mpixel. Cisco work without failures as well, but i don't have enough information about this system. Extreme Networks have good edge and core swithces as well. But they are some more expensive then HP. At the other hand budget models like products from D-Link and Planet can work with small quantity of cameras. But in some cases they fail and lost data. For example 8-port D-Link switch with 4 PoE ports works with 5 Mobotix cameras with resolution 3 mpixel (5 camera connected through PoE injector). Sometimes we should go to the site due to switch failures (it losts 1-2 cameras periodically).

If you would use PoE please look at the PoE Class. Some switch vendors (like Zyxel) provide an information about PoE in their switches for example 200 Watts for 24 ports. Then you should look at power consumption of your cameras that count total power consumption and understand how many ports with PoE you could use.

HP promise that their 2610 family with PoE support will work with any PoE device (except some Cisco and Avaya IP phones). Some vendors specify supported PoE Class and overall consumption.

big jobs cisco 3750ps bigger 6500 series

Small TP-link TL-SF-1008p 8*ports total [4port POE]

Some switches seem to crash after a while and need resetting so far these two have been fine [1 year and counting....]

I've used Trendnet, Netgear, and Linksys/Cisco.

It's all about how much wattage your installation needs, and how much wattage per-port your switch can deliver.

SMC switches have worked nicely in big installs where you need more then 8 ports.

If you are going for 8 or less ports stick with linksys by Cisco business series. They work prety well.

Small Jobs (upt0 20 cams) --> Linksys/Netgear/Dlink 10/100 switches

Mid size jobs (20-60 cams)--> 3com/HP/CISCO 100 switches

Big jobs ---> 3com/HP/CISCO 1000 switches

3com 2600 / 2900 series / HP 2500 series are best good for CCTV.

Layer 3 switches have hardly any advantage in the solution

Pls. avoid using unmanaged switches

HI Guys,

Would like to get your expert opinion regarding above subject.

Got some 20-30 IP cams for a mid-size jobs and I’m thinking of a Cisco 3750 24 ports POE switch to cater the 23 ports and use the remaining port to cascade it to another Cisco (model?)12 port POE switch to cater the rest of the cams.

This is a mix of 1.3 & 2 MP cams and I’m looking on Geovision or HikVision. So, my question is, is it the 3750 is enough or over the requirements for these cams? Yes, I will be using a NVR but I don’t want to overload it with some connections.

Looking forward to hear from you guys..

Thanks a lot, in advance..

Bimz

I've been using the Netgear GS110T for a few years now with no issues. I currently have 6 IP cameras on it. A mix of 3mp and 5mp Axis cameras. Happy with this POE switch!

On big networks we use the Pro Curve

HP 6600-24XG Switch on our fiber aggregation points.

2620-24-PoE+ Switch (J9625A)

2620-48-PoE+ Switch (J9627A)

2615-8-PoE Switch (J9565A) for small camera counts.

Thanks Dirk_D for your response. I'll take note on this switch. well try it too.

regards..

no problem - I just put in another one today (24 port)

HI Guys,

Would like to get your expert opinion regarding above subject.

Got some 20-30 IP cams for a mid-size jobs and I’m thinking of a Cisco 3750 24 ports POE switch to cater the 23 ports and use the remaining port to cascade it to another Cisco (model?)12 port POE switch to cater the rest of the cams.

This is a mix of 1.3 & 2 MP cams and I’m looking on Geovision or HikVision. So, my question is, is it the 3750 is enough or over the requirements for these cams? Yes, I will be using a NVR but I don’t want to overload it with some connections.

Looking forward to hear from you guys..

Thanks a lot, in advance..

Bimz

I've been using those switches on some rly big systems, 24 PoE and fiber uplinks, no problems at all.

We choose those because of the support - onsite, 24x7x4

A bargain in switches is the Netgear ProSAFE Gigabit Switch with PoE (JGS516PE for 16 ports, JGS524PE for 24 ports, 1/2 are PoE). It's managed, it's quiet, it uses a standard power cord (no power brick or wall wort), it's cheap for a gigabit switch let alone one that is managed and can be rack mounted or desktop.