SecurityTech

Opinions on Worldeyecam and Intellipix 4 camera DVR system.

Hello to the CCTV Forum members. Long time reader, first time poster. I am in the Security industry and my company does sell, install, and maintain high end security, access, fire, and surveillance systems. The systems mentioned above are far to expensive for any residential appication, including my own, which is the reason for my post.

Wasn't looking for anything fancy, but needed at least 4 outdoor/IR cameras for good daytime, and acceptable night time imaging, including a DVR. Simple surveillance, that would be easy for my fiancee to navigate and use. My desire was to have motion activated recording as opposed to 24/7. Again, not a high security environment, don't even need sound.

With that said, purchased a Lorex (no applause/laughter please) DVR (4 channel) and 4 outdoor IR cameras. DVR interface was rather clunky/unprofessional, but worked ok. Outdoor IR cameras were 480 TVL and had surprisingly good daytime images, but night time in 0 lux left much to be desired. Due to (common with inexpensive cameras) extreme amounts of snow, graininess, and other artifacts during night time imaging, it constantly triggered the motion record feature on the DVR. No amount of adjustments (yes, tried the gain) on the cameras, nor masking/sensitivity adjustments via the DVR would resolve.

To be fair, I did not have very high expectations of a lower spec'd system, but had hoped for a quick easy install this would have worked good enough to prevent me from returning it. This was not the case.

I am again shopping around for a decent 4 IR camera/ DVR setup for my house, stumbled across the following site, and 4 camera DVR package and was looking for any thoughts, or feedback. Please remember this does NOT need to be state of the art, just good enough for basic monitoring/recording, with motion activated recording, DVR (with off site), and good on site viewing. I appreciate any responses given.

I cannot direct link or post images due to this forums 5 post rule. The system was viewed on World Eye Cam's site.

Intellipix G4-HD-E H.264 720p HD Output DVR 4 Channel DVR Kit (Includes 4 WAD-A2000VIR 540 TVL High Resolution Dome Cameras)

This 4 Channel Video Package Includes:

* (1) G4-HD-E H.264 720p HD Output DVR 4 Channel Stand-Alone Digital Video Recorder ( DVR )

* (4) WAD-A2000VIR Sony HQ1 540 TVL High Resolution AccuDome WAD-A2000VIR Outdoor Waterproof VandalProof Digital Dome Security Cameras

* (1) 4 to 9 Camera 12VDC Fully-Regulated, Distributed, Power Supply UL APPROVED

* (4) 100' Video/Power Cables & Cable Connectors

Camera:

Product Features:

* Sony Super HAD Technology

* 1/3 Inch Format CCD Sensor

* Digital Signal Processing

* 540 Max TV Lines Resolution

* 4mm - 9mm Varifocal Lens

* IP55 Weatherproof Rating

* UL Listed Vandal-proof

* 75 Feet Zero Lux Illumination

DVR:

Features

* Hi-Def 720p HDMI Output

* 1280 x 1024 VGA Output

* Simultaneous multiple hi- res monitor output

* Network Sub-stream Capable

* New Central Monitoring System

* H.264 WITH Multi-Channel Simultaneous Playback

* E-Map Function Support

* Pentaplex operation

* Real Time Recording/Playback

* USB DVD/CD and Flash Drive Backup

* Up to 2 Terabyte Internal Storage

* Mobile View (Supports Windows Mobile)

* Synced Audio Recording/Playback

* Intuitive GUI

looked at spec cif is not h264. take a look at either avermedia or the avtech both are very good and do what it says on the box. there are cheap systems and budget systems ..................never use a cheap system

looked at spec cif is not h264. take a look at either avermedia or the avtech both are very good and do what it says on the box. there are cheap systems and budget systems ..................never use a cheap system

Thanks for the feedback. I was less concerned with meeting the h264 spec, and more about a marked improvement from the now returned system. You mentioned the CIF, are you saying the resolution is going to be less than expected ?

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I can say without hesitation that the package you are looking at should not be considered cheap by any stetch of the imagination. I do not work for Worldeyecam but I am extremely familiar with that product. It is the only DVR we sell and install in our local market. The DVR is H.264 and yes the recording resolution is CIF but one channel can be configured to record in D1 at a full 30fps ( on the 4 and 8 channel and 2 on the 16 channel DVR ) not to mention Hi-definition output. That DVR package will most certainly meet your needs.

You will not be disappointed in either the DVR or cameras.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply Shoreviewsecurity. I'm across the water from you in DE, so nice to have a local perspective. I think that when tomcctv mentioned "cheap", I think he was referring to my previous purchase (now returned), not the latter.

I cannot say that I delve too deeply in the specs or recording/viewing resolution in my day to day, so to that effect, I'm picking up information as I go along. I do appreciate your post, and the fact that you do have first hand experience with the unit(s), which helps as well. If my budget were much higher I would have chosen one of my own companies solutions, but sadly my budget does not allow for that level of install.

To be fair, the Lorex system was fairly low priced, and my expectations were not set overly high, and just needed some simple, basic coverage with off site capability, nothing more. I will say this, having spent a great deal of time working with cameras and systems costing 10X+ more, with the exception of the almost unusable night time (recorded) images, it really wasn't that bad of a setup, for the money.

Thanks again SVS for the welcome, the first hand information, and again to tomcctv for his feedback. I run/manage a large forum myself, and know all full and well the value of a good forum, with good base of users willing to help. Perhaps if I relocate to the East, I will send a resume your direction.

I stand corrected with TOMCCTV's comment as I thought he was referring to the Intellicam DVR. Sorry TOMCCTV.

I am very quick to defend that product. Have been using Intellicam's products for many years, solid performance, Have never let me down. There are many many DVR"S on the market most of which are an excellent product as well. We have chosen to stick with a DVR that is flexiable to meet our Local customer's demands. Also, by only offering a single platform, we know the product inside and out.

We look forward to your participation on this forum. Once again, welcome.

Thanks

Mike

:oops:

I stand corrected with TOMCCTV's comment as I thought he was referring to the Intellicam DVR. Sorry TOMCCTV.

mike no problem mate. my fault for not making my self clear.

I can say without hesitation that the package you are looking at should not be considered cheap by any stetch of the imagination. I do not work for Worldeyecam but I am extremely familiar with that product. It is the only DVR we sell and install in our local market. The DVR is H.264 and yes the recording resolution is CIF but one channel can be configured to record in D1 at a full 30fps ( on the 4 and 8 channel and 2 on the 16 channel DVR ) not to mention Hi-definition output. That DVR package will most certainly meet your needs.

You will not be disappointed in either the DVR or cameras.

Good luck with your search.

Im trying to figure this out, why would they have a HDMI output, but have such low quality recording? CIF is useless for evidence sharing and lets be honest, that is what a CCTV system is for. Or am I missing something? 1 channel in D1 and the rest in CIF is still not good enough IMO. As mentioned, though as many of these budget 4 channel DVRs the avermedia has its own issues, but it does record in D1 on every channel.

Camera:

Product Features:

* Sony Super HAD Technology

* 1/3 Inch Format CCD Sensor

* Digital Signal Processing

* 540 Max TV Lines Resolution

* 4mm - 9mm Varifocal Lens

* IP55 Weatherproof Rating

* UL Listed Vandal-proof

* 75 Feet Zero Lux Illumination

It mentions IR but no ICR, might want to look into that.

ICR is an Infrared Cut Filter, without it daytime images typically look bad due to washed out colors and additional Infrared glare from the Sun. If its just a very budget job then you probably arent worried about it though. But sometimes for just $20-$40 more you can get the same model in True Day/Night with the IR Cut filter.

Im trying to figure this out, why would they have a HDMI output, but have such low quality recording? CIF is useless for evidence sharing and lets be honest, that is what a CCTV system is for. Or am I missing something? 1 channel in D1 and the rest in CIF is still not good enough IMO. As mentioned, though as many of these budget 4 channel DVRs the avermedia has its own issues, but it does record in D1 on every channel.

I have to admitted Rory this time you ask very good question

recording in CIF and have HDMI output that funny

Edited by Guest

I have to admitted Rory this time you ask very good question

recording in CIF and have HDMI output that funny

Yeah this is like in another tread someone asking for 64 bit software for some Hikvision HSI based cards that is max 100 frames CIF so it is like shooting a sparrow with a cannon.

Maybe HDMI is now cheaper in production then tradional?

JD

Maybe HDMI is now cheaper in production then tradional?

JD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I kinda understand logic with one of the IP Cam sample I have

It is 1.3MP and have HDMI output

that make sense

I understand what you mean as fas as HDMI output but only recording in CIF. I'm afraid this will open a can of worms but the HDMI output is very benificial when viewing the system in Real Time. We all know the larger the monitor the worse the image. I also think it "improves" image quality when playing back archived video via the HDMI output. Yes, the DVR only records in CIF all channels and 1 in D1 on the 4 and 8 channel and 2 in D1 on the 16 channel. D1 recording on those channels can be at a full 30fps.

The feedback we have received has been very positive. We have a customer viewing the live output on a 50" monitor and he loves it. The DVR is also capable of 1280x1024 VGA output as well. It also allows VGA/BNC/HDMI Simultaneous Video Outputs.

Hey, It's just our opinion but we think it's a great DVR. It has worked for our local customers who demand quality video on their large flat screens. I even uttered the word "WOW" when I first saw it and I'm pretty hard to impress.

How is the recorded quality though?

Plenty people say they love Avtech DVRs but the quality is awful IMO.

Most other 4 channels with CIF only quality, you cant even make out a face close up to the camera .. thats how bad they are. How is this in comparison? Also, does the price range compare to the AvTech or the Avermedia?

Again, our opinion but even recording in CIF the image quality is great. You know as well as I do it really depends on cameras. The DVR only records what it "sees".

Image quality is so hard to pin down. This series of DVR has provided identifiable images recording in CIF. Now the suspects were in close proximity of the camera but facial recognition was achieved.

Thanks for the reply Shoreviewsecurity. I'm across the water from you in DE, so nice to have a local perspective...

I do appreciate your post, and the fact that you do have first hand experience with the unit(s), which helps as well.

I have placed many orders with Mike at shoreviewsecurity.com over the last 12 months. I think maybe 3-4 different orders since last October. I bought a G4 DVR, cameras, some wiring, and a power supply from him.

Not only do I *HIGHLY* recommend using Mike, but I also highly recommend the G4 DVR's that he sells. I am very happy with mine

I thought the novelty would wear off after a year, but I am still tinkering with my cctv system all the time. I just installed another camera today!

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18575

I understand what you mean as fas as HDMI output but only recording in CIF. I'm afraid this will open a can of worms but the HDMI output is very benificial when viewing the system in Real Time. We all know the larger the monitor the worse the image. I also think it "improves" image quality when playing back archived video via the HDMI output. Yes, the DVR only records in CIF all channels and 1 in D1 on the 4 and 8 channel and 2 in D1 on the 16 channel. D1 recording on those channels can be at a full 30fps.

The feedback we have received has been very positive. We have a customer viewing the live output on a 50" monitor and he loves it. The DVR is also capable of 1280x1024 VGA output as well. It also allows VGA/BNC/HDMI Simultaneous Video Outputs.

Hey, It's just our opinion but we think it's a great DVR. It has worked for our local customers who demand quality video on their large flat screens. I even uttered the word "WOW" when I first saw it and I'm pretty hard to impress.

May I ask ?

is it build by HIK ?

Not bad .. it is definitely a higher price range though from the avermedia etc. I'll take a closer look at it later on.

Thanks for the reply Shoreviewsecurity. I'm across the water from you in DE, so nice to have a local perspective...

I do appreciate your post, and the fact that you do have first hand experience with the unit(s), which helps as well.

I have placed many orders with Mike at shoreviewsecurity.com over the last 12 months. I think maybe 3-4 different orders since last October. I bought a G4 DVR, cameras, some wiring, and a power supply from him.

Not only do I *HIGHLY* recommend using Mike, but I also highly recommend the G4 DVR's that he sells. I am very happy with mine

I thought the novelty would wear off after a year, but I am still tinkering with my cctv system all the time. I just installed another camera today!

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18575

I agree!!! Mike is truly da man! I've learned more about camera and dvr selection from him than i've read in months.With Mike it's truly a,"This is what i know works in this type of environment" conversation..

I agree!!! Mike is truly da man! I've learned more about camera and dvr selection from him than i've read in months.With Mike it's truly a,"This is what i know works in this type of environment" conversation..

Exactly the same impression I got.