thewireguys

Cisco Certs

Thinking about getting Cisco Cert

which one do you start off with?

CCNA

CCDA

CCENT

How does the process work? Do i go get the books, study and then take the test? Or are there classes you take?

Also should I pic up a firewall/router and/or a switch to play with? If so which ones?

Edited by Guest

I know of CCNA and CCDA but what's a CCET? Or do you mean CCENT? I would aim for the CCNA. That should give you the core skills to program and manage pretty much any Cisco switch.

There are many ways to get the required knowledge: local classes, online courses, books, cram courses; name your poison! (whatever works best for you). Once you are ready, you just have to take the required tests for your certification.

Here is Cisco's list of certifications and their requirements:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

Here is Wikipedia's entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_Career_Certifications

You can get a used 8-port managed Cisco switch pretty cheap (less than $200) if you know where to look. 2950's seem to be readily available in a number of configurations. That would be a good start to play with programming. Of course, there would be a premium for a Layer 3 or Gigabit switch.

CCNA is the go,

ICND1 part one and ICND2 part 2 make up the CCNA.

you can do just the first one and get a basic cert or both separate or one big exam.

Z

many years ago i did the ccna, ccda, ccnp, ccdp in 3 months. i bought a couple of 2501, 4000 series switch, and a 2509 for remote terminal access. at the time BnN still had a 30 day return policy on books so i used them like a library. between those and a routersim it was pretty easy. of course things have changed. the newer tests require much more in-depth knowledge. in fact the routersims today are much more complicated than when i was doing it (just used for basic commands back in the day not full interoperable networks like now).

in the end the ccna is the way to go.

i still have the equipment i believe if you want some cheap ones. i am sure the o/s would need some serious updates though.

routersims are a good start though without having to get the hardware. eventually though you will want some real world experience with real routers/switches.

also i don't know if this applies to low end cisco products but most enterprise stuff is done via ciscoworks these days which is all GUI based anyways.

the problem now is the CCNA is made so the exams are difficult quirky and tricky.

Experienced network guys have trouble passing it. Only newbies with just Cisco textbook rubbish can pass it.

They did this here to stop the gigantic influx of foreign students just learning the answers.

But unfortunately employers want certs not experience -it bites them later tho.

I'm interested too... what's the best way to start for someone who only has a little above average network experience? A local community college maybe?

I picked it a Cisco ASA firewall and this going to be a challenge I have been looking for a "Cisco for dummys" book but I haven't been able to find anything that I liked yet. I was over a B&N the other day and picked up a Haking9 mag and it is just what I am looking for. Very basic "tell me what it is and tell me why I need to use it".