G22

Panasonic WJ-HD500B

Anyone have any info on the Panasonic WJ-HD500B's Digital Recorders? Are they decent, too expsensive for what you get, etc.?

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/Broadcast/security/recorders/digital/wjhd500b.asp

The WJ-HD316 below looks pretty as well. I seen one in action, was impressive the short time I was checking it out.

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/Broadcast/security/recorders/digital/wjhd316.asp

Well I haven't worked on one in over a year, however, the picture quality is unbelievable on the HD316 and the real-time (30ips/camera even when in mux display) Live video is a nice feature.

As for the rest, yes they have all the features but, I'm just not a fan of programming any Panasonic device. Whether it be a DVR or a Matrix. Very time consuming!!!!!

The WJ-HD316 is one of the best DVR's out there. It is a little time consuming to set up (I charge for my time). Best thing about it, after the client screws around with all the settings ("something is wrong with the unit"). I can hook up my laptop to it and restore to my initial settings. I do most programming with x-over cable from unit to Lappy. On the network, I can do all without leaving the console. I have sites with 15 plus of these installed and are virtually trouble free. Just my 2 pennies.

I agree, the Bosch does the same, you can do all the configs throught the network and firmware and settings can be uploaded, this is a godsend, lets face it you dont want ur tech sitting there puching buttons when you can be doing it allover DSL remotely, and I also like the way Bosch lets you save the config file for each product, so if a DVR and cam were stolen and you had made settings like, frame rates or motion areas on the DVr and backlight on a cam, all you tech has to do is install it for you and then through the network you can simply upload the old settings....quite unique and quite handy... surely the first company to make a bidirectionsl link to systems especially cams that can also backfocus and focus the cams, what a time saver.. your monkey does the install, takes 5 mins and then you do the rest!!

I like the Pana gear not bad at all, cant wait to see the sd3 when it comes out, heard a rumour it might even do what i mentioned above, but me doubts it!!

Shame they are not represented well in this country because they really have some good product and a great name!!

Geez, we have no representatives for this country! LOL

Yeah the Kalatel has done that Network Programming feature on the all-in-ones since I started using them, and lets you save the bin file .. I think alot of these big players are doing that, or have been for a while. The price we pay for them, they should cook us a meal and wash our car also!!

anyway, i PMed you before, if you know the rep for my area for Bosch can you have them contact me please dude ..thanks. Im looking around for a replacement for the Kalatels as GE support sucks big time, Kalatel was good when it was Kalatel, now its all GE ..Grossly Enormous .. they dont seem to check for the little man anymore, and want you to spend forever on the phone ...i need email support ..

Rory