Jonno

DDNS on Avtech DVR

Hello friends,

I confess to being a network numpty and been trying to solve this problem for a while now. (have posted on DVR section). I've installed the Avtech h264 4 ch DVR to a friends place. Their IP is changing daily and I've set up an account with Dyndns.com with the update client to deal with this. But I don't think it's working properly. Do I need to tell the router or DVR to do something to inform Dyndns.com when it changes. It's a Huawei echolife 520b router if that's any help.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers

John.

Hi John, I'm not familiar with your DVR, but I've recently set up remote viewing. You will need to enable DDNS on your router. Not all have this facility. Mine is a netgear which is fairly straight forward. You will then need to use port forwarding to get through your firewall.

If you search this forum you will find excellent advise from the pro's to guide you.

Hi John, I'm not familiar with your DVR, but I've recently set up remote viewing. You will need to enable DDNS on your router. Not all have this facility. Mine is a netgear which is fairly straight forward. You will then need to use port forwarding to get through your firewall.

If you search this forum you will find excellent advise from the pro's to guide you.

Hi Oldjoe,

Thanks for your reply. I have set up the portforwarding and that works ok. When I have been told the current IP I can log on fine. The problem is when the IP address is changed and the domain name does not log on. So I recon it must be something to do with the setting up of the DDNS on either the DVR/router or on the Dyndns.com account. I have read many of the posts here and they're very informative but just can't pin down the DDNS bit

The router is a TalkTalk one. My own is a Linksys which does seem much better I have to say.

Can anyone advise to try the DNS setting on the Avtech H264 DVR or not touch this and use the router instead? or do I need to set up DDNS in both?

Cheers guys

John.

John,

On my router these are the instructions I followed.

To set up for DDNS:

If you have registered with a DDNS service provider, select the Use A Dynamic DNS Service check box.

Select the name of your dynamic DNS Service Provider.

Type the Host Name that your dynamic DNS service provider gave you.

The DDNS service provider may call this the domain name.

Type the User Name for your DDNS account.

Type the Password (or key) for your DDNS account.

Click Apply to have the DDNS service used.

If you check your router logs it will report DDNS updates.

eg.Sun, 2009-10-18 16:20:03 - Update OK: good

Your DVR requires a fixed IP address, which you can set up in your router for the dvr.

Hope that helps.

John,

You seem to be still struggling to resolve the problem. If you think the problem lies with registering the account, the steps are straightforward.

1 Go to the dyndns website

2. Click add on the home page for free dynamic dns

3. I'd suggest the host name extension 'dvrdns(dot)org'

4. Enter a unique host name

5. Service type - Host with IP address

6. Click add to cart

7. Enter, user name, password, email address, security code. & tick to accept t&c.

8. create account.

9. reply to email within 48hrs.

You will probably say I did exactly that, but there it is just in case.

Oldjoe,

Pretty sure that's how I set it up, but I will delete the host name and start again just in case.

Thanks again.

John.

There is a piece of client software available free of charge from the dynDNS website that sits in the taksbar that will automatically update your dyndns account when your IP changes.

Regards

Nelix

After you set up the DDNS hostname/password on the router you should see the IP get updated on the DynDns site. And again if you reboot the router. There are no other changes to make regarding DDNS other than these two items.

When your IP changes, don't expect the hostname to work for as long as a half hour after the change - depending on the client's service provider. The new IP has to propagate through the DNS system.

I do also face difficulties to access my dvr via internet,

But when I connect to my wifi-router, I can access my camera without any problems

Is there any solution for my problem?

I do also face difficulties to access my dvr via internet,

But when I connect to my wifi-router, I can access my camera without any problems

Is there any solution for my problem?

Khakha - When you connect to the wifi-router you are likely inside your network I am guessing. Do you go to a internal address like 192.168.***.***?

If so - then you are already on your network. (An easy way to find your Public IP is go to www.whatismyip.com)

Connecting from the internet - you connect to your public IP address and need to have port forwarding setup on the router so it knows which device inside the network to send you too.

You may know this already - but from your post it seems this could be your issue.

Thank you for your reply,

I managed to enter the port number in my wrt310N,

I input 80 in the start and 80 in the end both in single forwarding and port range forwarding and include the local ip 192.168.xxx.xxx to my ethernet-connected AVtech DVR.

I tried to access via internet and I always received connection timed out.

I'm really confused in this problem and I earnestly request your insight