alpine0000

PICTURES: Installing Panasonic dome outside under eave

I bought a couple of Panasonic 484 domes last week and installed one of them under the eave of my roof today. Here are some images from the install:

Getting the camera ready for the install

110592_1.jpg

Here are what the eaves look like.

110592_2.jpg

It was tough because there is a 1.25" gap between the soffit panels and the wood eave behind them.

110592_3.jpg

110592_4.jpg

So I had to put plywood spacers between the eave and soffit panels. I used two pieces of different thickness plywood. One piece was 3/4" and one piece was 1/2". This worked out perfectly to fill the 1.25" gap.

110592_5.jpg

110592_6.jpg

I screwed the pieces of plywood to the eave with 2" wood screws, and then put the soffit panels back on

110592_7.jpg

Then I screwed the base of the camera to the plywood spacers

110592_8.jpg

Then I drilled a hole through the soffit panel, spacers, and wooden eave and ran the wire through the hole

110592_9.jpg

Put on the BNC connector, made my low voltage connections, and mounted the camera

110592_10.jpg

Adjusted the image and put the dome cover on

133459_4.jpg

Here are some screenshots:

Day time:

110592_11.jpg

Night time with patio light on:

110592_12.jpg

Night time with patio light turned off. Moonlight only:

110592_13.jpg

That type of camera is mostly for applications with strong backlighting and glare, not necessarily low light apps, Eg; Car lights, Door entry ways, etc, with backlighting issues. You can get that same image there out of a Sanyo or most other True Day Night cameras for a much lower cost. But if one shines a light at it, thats where it will beat the rest

Its 10pm here in the Metropolitan DC area, and I decided to go out and walk around to get some more night shots on the deck. I'm not saying it's the best camera ever, but this is *more* than good enough for my application. I am happy with it.

Enjoy

110652_1.jpg

Edited by Guest

LOL yeah thats nowhere close to the regular price .. its double that normally for a dealer let alone a retail user. So good buy

I just wish they didnt make that dome mount so huge.

You probably already know this... but for those who dont, its because of the dehumidification motor on the backside. Considering everything that you get with this camera, I dont think its that big

I just wish they didnt make that dome mount so huge.

You can always use a hole saw to make (if memory serves) a 3.5" hole behind it, and do away with the back-box. The mounting plate is designed to attach to a dual-gang box.

In alpine's case, he probably would have needed to core out his two plywood shims, but not the eaves behind. Use some 2.5-3" deck screws through the mounting plate, through both shims and right into the eaves.

Were you able to access the cam setup menu using that DVR? 'up-the-coax'?

i was not aware that you could do that, nor do i know how. I just take my laptop out to the camera, login to the dvr using internet explorer on my laptop, and manually press the menu buttons on the camera while i look at my laptop. its not high-tech, but it works

Yep, that works... directly at the cam.

It can also be done remotely from the DVR/PC (which is very convenient), but you usually need a Panasonic DVR, or a Panasonic Data MUX (MP204C) inline using the PS-DATA protocol.

Got another camera installed at the front entryway tonight. The install was done the exact same way as the one I have pictures of in the first post of this thread, using the same model camera.

I guess the screenshot is somewhat useful for identifying people (camera mounted kind of high for facial identification, but still not too bad), but mainly I would use the camera to see if I have packages sitting on my doorstep when I am away

I receive packages a few times a week from UPS/FedEx, and I travel a lot.

I will try to post a night shot later.

Screenshot:

133459_3.jpg

If you went lower you would then be able to get some more of the driveway in there also ..

I guess the screenshot is somewhat useful for identifying people (camera mounted kind of high for facial identification, but still not too bad), but mainly I would use the camera to see if I have packages sitting on my doorstep when I am away

I receive packages a few times a week from UPS/FedEx, and I travel a lot.

Just gotta add some analytics in there to email/SMS you if there's a package left behind

Edited by Guest

If you went lower you would then be able to get some more of the driveway in there also ..

Yea, i know... but the dome is mounted to the eave. Theres nothing else really logical that I could do here to get it lower except for buy a box cam and enclosure, or mount the dome on the wall of the house, which i didnt want to do

I am going to install another dome on the end of the house that will cover the driveway/mailbox area

Edited by Guest

I just realized I took that screenshot before my landscape lights turned on.

Here is another screenshot with my front lit up properly, how it is each night. Other than the lighting on my home, it is pitch black outside. The sun is completely gone:

110789_1.jpg

I dont think I need any IR here

That type of camera is mostly for applications with strong backlighting and glare, not necessarily low light apps, Eg; Car lights, Door entry ways, etc, with backlighting issues. You can get that same image there out of a Sanyo or most other True Day Night cameras for a much lower cost. But if one shines a light at it, thats where it will beat the rest

It looks like my deck does have some very bright spots and some shady spots at the same time. I think a different camera would not deal with this lighting on the deck as well as the panasonic. I also know what i need to adjust on the camera when i get home for a better daytime picture

110975_1.jpg

It looks like my deck does have some very bright spots and some shady spots at the same time. I think a different camera would not deal with this lighting on the deck as well as the panasonic. I also know what i need to adjust on the camera when i get home for a better daytime picture

110975_1.jpg

Bedroom camera????