ryeporta

What is "Data On Module"

Hi forumers ..

I've read a lot of request for tenders that they want a DVR that is "Data On Module"

Can someone cast some light on what this Jargon means?

Thanks

Not familiar with that term... it could refer to POS data capture, input- and/or output-relay support, something related to IP camera support...

Can you provide any more detail? Type of clients asking for this (retail, etc.)? They provide any examples of systems that have what they're looking for? Any of these tenders describe what they want to accomplish?

DOM is that OS and DVR Software is burned into a memory module instead of installed on a normal harddrive.

The DOM is usually plugged into a free memory slot beside the RAM.

Positiv: Less failure/more stable.

Negativ: More expensive to upgrade.

JD

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

I've seen newer PC-based systems using SSD drives, as well as those with the OS and software on a Compact Flash card booting via either an IDE-to-CF adapter, or just a card reader on an internal USB header. Either method achieves the same end: your system is on nearly-indestructible (compared to standard HDDs at least) flash memory.

It's actually something that could be done relatively easily with almost any PC-based system.

I've seen newer PC-based systems using SSD drives, as well as those with the OS and software on a Compact Flash card booting via either an IDE-to-CF adapter, or just a card reader on an internal USB header. Either method achieves the same end: your system is on nearly-indestructible (compared to standard HDDs at least) flash memory.

It's actually something that could be done relatively easily with almost any PC-based system.

I prefer SSD/USB in a lockable slot. If failure, just take a shadow copy and send to customer by mail with the following instruction:

1. Unplugg power cord!

2. open Slot for USB stick.

3. Take out the USB stick and put the new one in.

4 Close the slot.

5. Plug in the power

6. Start up DVR.

No need to send people put to fix it! Customer do themself!

JD

I prefer SSD/USB in a lockable slot. If failure, just take a shadow copy and send to customer by mail with the following instruction:

1. Unplugg power cord!

4 Close the slot.

5. Plug in the power

6. Start up DVR.

JD

Friend of mine just went through something similar, in fact. He deals with the new LED sign boards on city buses, which are computer-driven, booting off 8GB CF card. He had a corrupted image on one, so he had the company in Britain upload a new image to my ftp server, and I put it on a DVD for him from there - he took that home and re-imaged a new flash card from their disc.

1. Unplugg power cord!

4 Close the slot.

5. Plug in the power

6. Start up DVR.

JD

Friend of mine just went through something similar, in fact. He deals with the new LED sign boards on city buses, which are computer-driven, booting off 8GB CF card. He had a corrupted image on one, so he had the company in Britain upload a new image to my ftp server, and I put it on a DVD for him from there - he took that home and re-imaged a new flash card from their disc.

Yes, we make a shadow copy of all systems before they leave the house and then we have a configuration backup onsite and if customer online, also on ftp.

JD

I prefer SSD/USB in a lockable slot.

Hi JD .. will booting from USB / Compact Flash etc be slower?

I've thought of proposing SSD for my clients .. however .. it always seemed that budget is a concern .. how do you, or anyone you know, work around their their budget concerns?

I prefer SSD/USB in a lockable slot.

Hi JD .. will booting from USB / Compact Flash etc be slower?

I've thought of proposing SSD for my clients .. however .. it always seemed that budget is a concern .. how do you, or anyone you know, work around their their budget concerns?

Hi!

It is a bit slower, but not so much that anyone have commented it yet...

Also we are stripping the Win XP so it dosent start up all services after a reboot.

We also just make sure of that SSD is not used for anything else then the OS and the DVR software, for instance no video recordings on C:\ and also no backups on that drive.

When it comes to economy, the development got a fair amount of hours, but the difference between a standard HDD and a SSD is pretty small if you save yourself a few airtickets that you often need to buy close to departure.

Next month will start looking into Win 7 and boot from USB/SSD.

Also we can offer customers with this solution a lower service price due lower failrate and easier to exchange it. In fact this year, I am not sure how many DVR's we sold this year and before, but so far this year: The broken parts are:

1 DVR card

1 Motherboard

1 System HDD

3 HDD for video storage.

3 Windows XP SP2 (File system broken/damage files.)

We are talking about hundreds of system from the last 3 years so the error rate is low, but offcourse if the system is far away then the airline is getting your money!

Stay away from the people who dont want to use 200,- USD extra, usually you need to buy lowerr quality hardware and usually the cheap charlies are also the ones that complain most.

JD

Also we can offer customers with this solution a lower service price due lower failrate and easier to exchange it.

Hmmm .. that's a good idea .. will try to work that into the total package and try to get my clients to trade-in their 5-yrs old systems that are still running on Win2k .. ..