TJCCTV

URGENT - Flooded CCTV Cam

Question is about damage control and best drying method.

I always test cameras prior to installing and all cameras tested perfectly.

I had mounted an OUTDOOR 520TVL camera on the outside of a

warehouse. Trusted that the seal around the wiring at the back of the

camera would keep out moisture.

It was not yet wired or turned on, just mounted on the wall outside.

Really bad rainstorm came through. As I was completing the wiring (still

not turned on) I noticed it had about a quarter inch of water INSIDE

the camera !

After the storm passed, I took off the rain shield, and unscrewed the front

half of the camera to let the water out. Thoroughly cleaned the inside of

the front half. Then I let it air-dry for a while. Re-installed the front

housing and the rain-shield. Siliconed around the wiring at back entrance

of camera.

Tomorrow is supposed to be dry weather. I'm planning to open it back up

and let it air dry completely.

Then go ahead and power it up.

I realize this involves a bit of guessing, and what I am looking for is

anyone who has ideas of what else I should do to increase the odds that

the expensive camera isn't totally ruined.

Not just "bet it's fried, dude" but actually experienced technical advice

of how to give it the best chance of working before I power it up.

Thanks!

TJ

Man tough break.

I have not had water in a camera like that but I have had water in other devices. What I've found is if water did get into the housing of the unit water tends to not evaporate to easily even when left out to dry. I find that you have to take the housing apart because water gets in under the surface mount parts. Humidity may eat away at critical parts if it's not completely dry.

I've used a heat gun or hair drier on low heat to really dry all the parts off, reassemble it and it should work just fine. By doing this you will be certain that you got all water out out of there.

Keep in mind you might void a MFG warranty by taking the camera apart.

Others may have other ideas but without disassembly I'm not sure how you can be certain that it completely dried out.

If it hasnt been sitting for long then it should be fine. Ive had working cameras that happened to and dried them out and they worked fine. In fact, one BW bullet and one color bullet outside my apprtment, I gave up trying to stop the condensation (they are really old, second hand from other jobs), I just took the front cover off all together, knowing they should die (actually I was going to put them back on when they dried out but for a while there it rained everyday!), but its been working for the entire summer through all the thunderstorms we had as it was our rainy season .. they still work LOL. It would be blind for a day until it dried up ofcourse

I dont know what kind of heat you have there, normally one day here will suffice, its an oven after 10 minutes outside. Also maybe try some silica packets to help prevent condensation.

Others may have other ideas

Cover the components in a bowl of uncooked rice. Rice is an excellent method for drying wet electronic devices.

Best,

Christopher

If it didn't submerge the circuit board it should be fine. I did an expansion on an existing system this spring where I needed to purchase and extra capture card (Tekeyes) from a supplier I hadn't dealt with before so I figured I might as well try out their line of Discovery cameras. One of the weatherproof domes turned out to be not so weatherproof and I caught it when I went back a couple of weeks later just to see if there were any problems. Cleaned the water out of the housing (1/2" at the bottom plus condensation-dome was mounted to a wall), sealed it properly and the thing has been operating perfectly for the last 6 months.

As already mentioned, I recommend taking it apart and drying with a hair dryer on low heat, then leave it in an airing cupboard (not one with lots of wet clothes in at the same time...) for 24 hours. Add a silica gel sachet inside and reassemble, then cross fingers

Take it apart as much as you can then let a fan blow on it for a few days. This worked on a cell phone that was washed in the washing machine.

Man tough break.

I have not had water in a camera like that but I have had water in other devices. What I've found is if water did get into the housing of the unit water tends to not evaporate to easily even when left out to dry. I find that you have to take the housing apart because water gets in under the surface mount parts. Humidity may eat away at critical parts if it's not completely dry.

I've used a heat gun or hair drier on low heat to really dry all the parts off, reassemble it and it should work just fine. By doing this you will be certain that you got all water out out of there.

Keep in mind you might void a MFG warranty by taking the camera apart.

Others may have other ideas but without disassembly I'm not sure how you can be certain that it completely dried out.

That did the trick! Thanks for the assist. TJ

Hi TJ,

Something you should keep in mind for the future -- if a supplier sells you an outdoor weatherproof camera, and somehow it gets water in it, that is definitely a warranty issue.

Up until you pull the camera apart and start playing with it.

I work for RhinoCo in Australia, and I have had several situations with one of our cameras that were remarkably similar to yours - all of which were swapped over straight away. But once you pull the camera apart and re-do the seals, you void the warranty.

I mean, heck we void the warranty if you cut the DC plugs off!

It's just how most of us suppliers operate - once you've started fiddling with the camera there is no way to realistically determine whether it was a problem with the camera, or whether it was someone's toying with the internal components that caused the problem in the first place. (As you should know, LOTS of installers out there who haven't even the foggiest idea of what they're doing!!)

Cheers,

Raymond Morgan

Sales Consultant - RhinoCo Technology

http://www.rhinoco.com.au

water itself won't kill it. what normally kills electronics is the corrosion.

simply take it home and put it in the hot water cupboard for a few days (or anywhere warm and dry).

check for any corrosion and if none then it will be fine.

Water runnoff can often have salts or acids in them. Believe it or not, you can often save electronics by flushing it with distilled water ASAP.

For general electronics

Rule #1 is to remove all power, and batteries. Don't forget the memory batteries. Sometimes you can pull the jumper off of soldered in batteries.

(optional)

If it is salt water, or it is dirty water flush with distilled water.

Don't get water into anything like speakers or optics if you can help it. Shake out all the water you can.

Spray all the electronics with a can of contact cleaner. It will displace the water then evaporate. Pay special attention to switches, connectors, and under components. Do not invert the can, or spray it on clear plastic or glass. It gets cold!

Next allow to dry somewhere warm. I would give it at least 24 hours before applying power so any water in crevices has a chance to dry. The longer the better.