jimmyNJ

camera on stucco

I've pre-run rg59 siamese to 6 locations and drilled through wood. now the outside wall is covered in stucco, about 1/2 thick and the inside walls are sealed.

I was planning to go with bullet cameras but have no space to stow the connectors with the small hole in the wall.

Is is acceptable to mount a weatherproof single gang electrical box with a cover to stow the connectors and then just attach my cameras to the cover?

is there a better way?

I love this kind of setup!

During the rough in I would make the hole in the wood large enough to take the power cable, and the BNC connector, and allow it to travel back, and forth through. I would check when they put up the mesh.

I cut the mesh back away from the wiring. I explain to the stucco people what I am trying to accomplish. When the stucco is dry I then chip back the stucco to make the whole big enough. If it is going to be some time before I mount the cameras then I cover the hole with silicone sealant, other wise I put the connector on the RG59, and crimp on a power lead. I mount the camera mount right over the hole, and seal the hole with silicone.

This might be one style of camera that I use.

http://www.avssys.net/?s=product&sub=camera&cat=outdoor&p=vnd49ir

Do not forget to take pictures of your camera locations during the rough in.

What do you think?

all good ideas I suppose! I did not make the hole big enough, and if I drill a bigger hole i risk damaging the cable. i guess i am going to go with the electrical box.

You might not be happy with the look of a grey weatherproof box mounted on top of your brand new stucco.Get with your mason,or buy yourself a masonry router bit and rout out the stucco where the camera mount needs to go.That way you don't have to worry about damaging the wire.Here's an example

http://www.toolbank.com/p/C3289/FAIMMR10

You might not be happy with the look of a grey weatherproof box mounted on top of your brand new stucco.Get with your mason,or buy yourself a masonry router bit and rout out the stucco where the camera mount needs to go.That way you don't have to worry about damaging the wire.Here's an example

http://www.toolbank.com/p/C3289/FAIMMR10

If you careful you could also use a hole saw..... Push the wire in... drill the hole... then hook the wire back out

I've used boxes made by Killark. The have nice rubber cover seals and thick cast blank covers to drill through for mounting and to support the weight.