recca232

Buy the Original Geovision Card

One customer came to our showroom and show us the Geovision card that he bought Online. The card packaging is not good and the accessories are lacking.

Photo of Duplicate Geovision

112770_1.jpg

112770_2.jpg

112770_3.jpg

Photo of Original Geovision

112770_4.jpg

112770_5.jpg

112770_6.jpg

Before buying online be sure to know the credibility of the website.

Well....

The card in the Geovision box is a PCI-Xpress card with D-sub

The other cards is a PCI card with DVI-sub. The pigtails look like the orginal ones. So would be better to have a high res picture of the cards itself.

It could be a replacement card after repair. Have had white boxes from Geovision on repaired cards before.

Also, could Geovision themseld sell copy cards to the market themself so that they can controll it better or have more sales?

JD

Hi,

It sounds pretty absurd for us to manufacture a counterfeit version of our own product for any of the above listed reasons when that time could be spent going after leads.

That being said, the packaging done at our warehouse is always done by the latter of the two packages' images. The cards that go through our RMA process are either placed back in the same packaging that they were sent back to us in OR placed in to our original packaging before being shipped back out.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions about our warehouse's procedures - thanks!

The fake boards and software do not have any support, which is really a large part of what you are buying with the Geovision product and the main reason why the real product is the only thing you should purchase.

If you are buying a security product, the last thing you need to be worrying about is reliability. If you purchase a system that is 'flakey' and you can't resolve the issues as there is no support system in place, then you just wasted your money.

I personally have received great support from Geovision, their staff from the on-line site are knowledgeable and curteous everytime.

I was tempted to buy a cheaper card from ebay, but only because I thought it was a genuine Geovision product. Since the price seemed too low, compared to dealers, I ended up getting a used card (still got a bit of a price break) after getting the barcode verified by Geovision.

Hope this helps ![/i]

Hi,

It sounds pretty absurd for us to manufacture a counterfeit version of our own product for any of the above listed reasons when that time could be spent going after leads.

That being said, the packaging done at our warehouse is always done by the latter of the two packages' images. The cards that go through our RMA process are either placed back in the same packaging that they were sent back to us in OR placed in to our original packaging before being shipped back out.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions about our warehouse's procedures - thanks!

Hi Shentim! Nice to "meet" you.

I am wondering, why dosent Geovision succed to stop piracy of both their hardware and their software?

There must be some things you can do better then today?

JD

Hi JoinDVR,

I'm sure any industry that suffers from counterfeit products (fake name brand bags, pirated DVDs, knock-off clothing, etc) would love to shut down the production plants making those products - it simply is not an easy task.

USAVisionSys, the US branch of GeoVision which I work at, handles the sales in the US. If you would like to learn more about how our legal department handles anti-piracy, please contact our headquarters in Taiwan at sales@geovision.com.tw. They file cease and desist letters and have successfully pursued legal action many times. Hope this helps!

Curious. Do these 'pirates' copy the electronic design by either, reverse engineering the pcb or just copying the individual layers of the pcb's?

Either way, that's got to be tough to do.

If Geovision boards have proprietory chips, then that would make it virtually impossible to duplicate.

Or are they designing from scratch, making the design 'appear' to resemble a Geovision board and selling it as a Geovision product?

It seems that it would be easier to just sell it as their own product.

Then there's the software side of things...

If these people are that smart, why go to extremes to make a copy?

I guess the brand "Geovision" makes it worthwhile.

Yeah,

I guess people sell the Brand "geovision"

and people who can not tell which one is original, will get the brand and cheap price without knowing it is not stable, no support etc

I think you guys are equating "fake" to a card that is simply purchased from an un-authorized distribution channel.

Counterfeit cards are missing many components on the board itself and also lack the barcode (white sticker starting with five zeros) - if your "fake" card has that barcode, we could easily track where it was originally purchased from and shipped to.

Purchasing through an un-authorized distribution channel voids the warranty to the end user through the manufacturer's side, so the end user needs to have faith that where he purchases the card from will be able to honor whatever warranty their distribution channel claims to provide. The card could still be authentic and work perfectly fine.

I think you guys are equating "fake" to a card that is simply purchased from an un-authorized distribution channel.

Counterfeit cards are missing many components on the board itself and also lack the barcode (white sticker starting with five zeros) - if your "fake" card has that barcode, we could easily track where it was originally purchased from and shipped to.

Purchasing through an un-authorized distribution channel voids the warranty to the end user through the manufacturer's side, so the end user needs to have faith that where he purchases the card from will be able to honor whatever warranty their distribution channel claims to provide. The card could still be authentic and work perfectly fine.

Hi Shentim.

I would like to know where we can buy a card that works with 8.12? Seems the new cards only work with 8.3? 8.3 is very slow and requires much faster and more expensive PC hardware, and even then does not come close to the speed of 8.12, it also installs .NET which I would rather not have on a DVR. Can Geovision perhaps release a "lite" version of their software and which does not have all that extra heavy IP Camera support? Most people just dont need that.

I applaud Geovision for fixing the bug where with activeX prior to 8.3 would not work with 8.3+ webcam, now it does at least work with 8.32. Reason I am glad of this, is because the 8.3 activeX controls are very heavy, compared to the good old 7.0 activeX, which is much lighter and just, works. Also, somewhere around 8.31 and above the activeX no longer allows one to set the backcolor or border color, and enable direct draw is no longer functional (without using the classic gui which then gives you an unwanted right click menu with no Hdc), it seems they removed alot to allow room for alot of IP and video server code. Anyway, as mentioned I am happy 7.0 activeX works once again, with 8.32. I am also aware there may be some codec issues later on down the road at some point, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks,

Rory

Hi Rory,

Since GeoVision is phasing out the older versions of the DVR cards to pave way for the A type cards, they have stopped manufacturing the older boards.

I can tell you that the older PCI and PCI-E versions of the DVR cards (non-A type) are becoming much rarer each day and the only stock we have left is what we have in our warehouse (many of which are out of stock already). I'm not sure what the situation is like for other branches outside of the US.

Hi Shentim.

I would like to know where we can buy a card that works with 8.12? Seems the new cards only work with 8.3? 8.3 is very slow and requires much faster and more expensive PC hardware, and even then does not come close to the speed of 8.12, it also installs .NET which I would rather not have on a DVR. Can Geovision perhaps release a "lite" version of their software and which does not have all that extra heavy IP Camera support? Most people just dont need that.

I applaud Geovision for fixing the bug where with activeX prior to 8.3 would not work with 8.3+ webcam, now it does at least work with 8.32. Reason I am glad of this, is because the 8.3 activeX controls are very heavy, compared to the good old 7.0 activeX, which is much lighter and just, works. Also, somewhere around 8.31 and above the activeX no longer allows one to set the backcolor or border color, and enable direct draw is no longer functional (without using the classic gui which then gives you an unwanted right click menu with no Hdc), it seems they removed alot to allow room for alot of IP and video server code. Anyway, as mentioned I am happy 7.0 activeX works once again, with 8.32. I am also aware there may be some codec issues later on down the road at some point, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks,

Rory

I have a Geovision V4.1 here Rory, it is fast as hell on the new PC's but I only have a few cards left that will run it, the resolution and frame rate is belove average, but the software is quick!

I agree with you Rory that after 7.0 the Geovision software has become very demanding on the CPU/MEMORY/PAGEFILE area, without that the video quality itself has seen much improvement.

Seems like even features you need dongle to use is eating CPU power even if not activated!

JD

I have a Geovision V4.1 here Rory, it is fast as hell on the new PC's but I only have a few cards left that will run it, the resolution and frame rate is belove average, but the software is quick!

I agree with you Rory that after 7.0 the Geovision software has become very demanding on the CPU/MEMORY/PAGEFILE area, without that the video quality itself has seen much improvement.

Seems like even features you need dongle to use is eating CPU power even if not activated!

JD

LOL. thats a bit too old .. 8.12 works great, super fast even on a celeron.

Point being, would be nice to build a small PC and keep it inexpensive, but to do so would tend to require something like a celeron and less memory than 8.3 likes.

Also, I see no improvement in the video quality, if anything it has worsened, perhaps due to more compression.

Not really thread related, but....

How can I get a hold of 8.12?

I have a legitimate card that came with 8.2.

I would prefer less demanding s/w. Also, how do you know if 'better' versions are avail.? There is no 'check for updates' feature that you see in other programs.

I am currently using 8.31, but still get the odd reboot, probably due to memory leaks, since it's a dedicated machine.