SouthernComfort

Installers prices?

Hey guys,

What is the norm for cctv installers when it comes to marking up the price on gear they install?

I received a quote from an installer, that lists prices for each item significantly higher than I can find online.

For example, a camera that I have seen online for $360 is being quoted to me at $840

Hey guys,

What is the norm for cctv installers when it comes to marking up the price on gear they install?

I received a quote from an installer, that lists prices for each item significantly higher than I can find online.

For example, a camera that I have seen online for $360 is being quoted to me at $840

Hi!

I guess this variates a bit, do you have the camera brand and model in your example?

JD

Well, I'm just the tech, I don't deal with the financials or anything, but from what I've seen, 50%-75% markup is not uncommon on most gear. I have seen 100% markup, or more, on some items, usually specialty stuff.

Keep in mind that this markup takes into account various other things, like the cost of return visits if the unit should fail under warranty (yes, it will get replaced for me for free, but I still have to cover the service call)... the shipping for me to get it in, or if I pick it up from a local supplier, the cost to go get it...

I also have to recover what I can, where I can, to look after the overhead of running my business... a lot of things can't really be built into the labor costs. There's the time I spend on the phone with you, helping you decide what you want/need... the time I spend writing up a quote... I need to cover the rent and power and heat for my office... pay for the computers in it.

Sometimes I have to cover the cost of gear that I've paid to bring in, that the client then doesn't want... so I either have to sit on that cost until I can re-sell the gear, or I have to pay to send it back, and then some suppliers want a re-stocking fee...

All reasons why you'll see equipment marked up.

That said, 150% is a little much... but keep in mind, the guy you're getting it from is probably NOT buying from an online store, but from a local wholesaler, who have to add their own markup to cover THEIR overhead costs... so HE'S not getting it as cheaply as you can online.

But what he's paying extra for there, is the backing the warehouse will give him. If the camera is bad, or fails within the warranty, he doesn't have to ship it back (probably at his cost) and sit and wait for a replacement - he can take it to the warehouse, swap it for a replacement, and reinstall the same day.

He can also be sure of what he's getting. Buying online, you don't always know the condition of what you're buying... the legitimacy of the seller... the backing they'll provide. There are horror stories all over the 'net of people buying from online stores and having damaged, broken, or just plain incorrect equipment shipped to them... then having long, drawn-out, usually losing battles with the seller (who's often on the other side of the country, if not in a different country altogether). Go to Google Groups, go into rec.photo.digital, and search the subjects for "beware of", and just look at the number of shady online dealers that have come and gone over the years.

If you have any technical know how,you can buy your own complete system from one of the reputable suppliers on here and install it yourself.

How much does it cost to have your oil changed?

How much does it cost to go to an automotive store, buy the oil, and filter, and do it yourself?

He may be buying the same camera that you bought. He is allowed to make a profit, and there fore explains the cost difference.

I had a guy do it to me on a camera install. I got even! He did not like my prices moaned, and groaned. I got a call later because he had a problem with the kit that he bought. I went over there explained the manual to him, and showed him how to set up groups, and users so that he could use his DVR.

I went back to his restaurant with my family on the weekend. I handed him a carton of eggs, a package of bacon, sliced bread, and a can of cornedbeef.

He got my hint loud, and clear! He got a big chuckle, and gave my family the best meal we ever had! He did not use the stuff I brought, and he did not charge me for it!

We get a good laugh every time we bump in to each other!

He sends people my way now!

I had a guy do it to me on a camera install. I got even! He did not like my prices moaned, and groaned. I got a call later because he had a problem with the kit that he bought. I went over there explained the manual to him, and showed him how to set up groups, and users so that he could use his DVR.

I went back to his restaurant with my family on the weekend. I handed him a carton of eggs, a package of bacon, sliced bread, and a can of cornedbeef.

He got my hint loud, and clear! He got a big chuckle, and gave my family the best meal we ever had! He did not use the stuff I brought, and he did not charge me for it!

We get a good laugh every time we bump in to each other!

Hahahaha, that's awesome.

We had something similar a few years back, didn't end quite as nicely. Got a call to put a system and some cameras in a gas station. The four cameras were to go at the pumps, but they were to be mounted to sign boards that weren't installed yet. We finished the rest of the job and left the wiring in place for the cameras and told them to call us when the signs were ready.

Well, they didn't want to pay for the job, because it "wasn't done". No fault of ours, of course.... the boss had a big argument with them on the phone and they finally agreed to pay everything except the cost of the cameras and that portion of the install, and I took the cameras away (not gonna leave'em there if they're not paid for!).

Afterwards I told the boss, I was gonna go back into the store, take a stick of pepperoni, eat 3/4 of it, then put the rest back in the display and tell them I'd come back later to eat the rest, and pay for all of it then. He laughed his head off at that... said he'd come down to the site and we'd BOTH do it! (We never did, of course... but it's been a running gag ever since!)

We were back to that site several times for their DVR dying. First time was within about two months, because the kid had decided to use it for his DVD editing/authoring since it was a more powerful PC than the family desktop. That was an expensive lesson for them to learn. "Isn't it under warranty??" Uh... no. Next time was a virus they got from someone surfing on it.

Eventually they called up saying the DVR wasn't working... I took it out, brought it home, bench-tested it for a week... ran every conceivable diagnostic... found nothing at all wrong... took it back. They wanted to know what had gone wrong and what I'd fixed - of course, I had to tell them, I couldn't find anything wrong. So they refused to pay, since I "didn't actually have to do anything."

We comped them that one, and told them if they needed any more help, to call someone else. Some people just aren't worth the headache.

ok, why are we (owners & installers) responding to such a lame question? If "we" want to help this guy we should be telling him to get more bids and then make a decision. This guy is looking for a way to melt the bid.

seen this many times..client wants it all but does not want to pay for it.

Bottom line; install pricing & support is dependant on area serviced. ie. Tampa is going to cost more as compared to nowhere Indian.

sorry if I come off a bit angry but if you want a cheap install go get a Sams special and plug it in. If you want a quality install, do your homework. get several bids to compare and then ask for references. Trust me when I say, a good installer with good support is worth every penny spent.....unless you want to do it yourself.

not rock science unless your looking to dump some numbers on a guy who is making a living installing CCTV.

I tell any prospective clients my bottom line."This is what it's gonna cost,and this is what you get.If you can try and beat it and get another high quality install then congrads."If they wanna try and cry and moan i tell em have a good day.I do not have a problem walking away from a possible job when the owner wants to piss and moan.One of my buddy's did the Lorex special,now he's crying about how not good the system is .

Edited by Guest

ok, why are we (owners & installers) responding to such a lame question? If "we" want to help this guy we should be telling him to get more bids and then make a decision. This guy is looking for a way to melt the bid.

seen this many times..client wants it all but does not want to pay for it.

Bottom line; install pricing & support is dependant on area serviced. ie. Tampa is going to cost more as compared to nowhere Indian.

sorry if I come off a bit angry but if you want a cheap install go get a Sams special and plug it in. If you want a quality install, do your homework. get several bids to compare and then ask for references. Trust me when I say, a good installer with good support is worth every penny spent.....unless you want to do it yourself.

not rock science unless your looking to dump some numbers on a guy who is making a living installing CCTV.

I agree 100%

Actually I was genuinely curious. This is my third bid (first two had very limited equipment and couldn't meet my needs). I also don't have many choices for installers where I live. When I went online to check out the camera specs I found some prices and wondered why they were so low compared to the same thing on the bid.

I have no problem paying for quality service and products. I just wanted to make sure that this is normal before I make a decision.

Again, thanks for the help.

What you're paying for, ultimately, is reliability... not just of the equipment, but of the service, and of the sale itself. When you're buying online, unless it's from a know reputable source, you can never quite be sure of what you'll get until you open the box. Sometimes you can score a good deal (someone else here recently got a great price on some very good Panasonic domes) but you never know if you're getting factory seconds, open-box items, scratch-and-dent returns, something non-functioning, or the wrong thing altogether (see the PSP picture above!)

Online stores can provide low prices because they have minimal overhead, but that can also mean they have limited stock on-hand to deal with replacements. And if you do need replacements, you can't just walk in and do it - you have to deal with shipping both ways, and watch out for having to pay your own return shipping costs.

Also keep in mind some company's like Arecont are going to start cracking down on unauthorized internet sales and they say they are not going to honor the warranty of cameras perchused from unauthorized dealers.

Also you paying for the experience, training, and tools that we have worked for over many years. (not speaking for the quotes you got don't know anything about the company's) I can along speak for myself, other professionals I work with and the very intelligent guys that help out on this forum.

I spend ALOT of money and time on all the training I have in my signature.