sat_mad

Avermedia EB1304NET SATA DVR fan noise

Hi folks,

I recently installed a CCTV system in my home based around the Avermedia EB1304NET SATA DVR.

Now it's up and running, I'm noticing the fan in the unit is very noisy, and wondered if this was a common issue, or just my DVR.

The DVR is situated in the loft, with the fan set to the middle speed, and it can be heard through the ceiling!

As it is winter, I can turn the fan down, but I'm thinking I'm going to have the fan at set at full in summer.

If this is the norm, could anyone please recommend any viable ways of reducing the noise?

Many thanks.

I am not familiar with this DVR, but I find it surprising that you can hear the fan through the ceiling.

Fans are noisey, and I do not install DVRs in masterbedrooms because of the noise.

Is it a whiring noise, or does it sound like bad bearings?

In the case of the sound traveling through the ceiling, then I wonder if it is more sound vibrations that are "creating" the sound, and if you could put the DVR on a pad, or towel to isolate the vibrations to prevent sound from traveling through the structure of the house.

Noisy fans are unfortunately a problem with many 1304NET SATA DVR's. I usually just replace them with another fan of the same size when they begin acting up.

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.

The noise is kind of whirry! I've found an old mouse pad which I'll pop under the device to see if that reduces the noise a bit.

From the sound of it, I suppose it could be the bearings in the fan, so that might be the best solution long term. I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of noise when it's brand new out of the box, but if this is common then I guess it's just one of those things!

Thanks again...

If it sounds like whirring noises then this is good!

Video is graphic intensive, and without the fan, the chipsets would burn up. OK! Maybe not right away, but it puts the nails in the coffin a little sooner then it should.

Try the mouse pad, and let us know.

hey, it's a budget DVR, not the space shuttles video link.....

I can sell you a "whirrless" DVR for 3k....ok?

Just a quick update... the mouse pad certainly seems to have lessened the whir.

Coupled with a reduced fan speed, the DVR is no more than a slight murmur!

Thanks again for the advice - I'll just go now and buy another seven mouse pads!