mag78

Acti or Vivotek?

Hi everyone!

I'm having som problems choosing a camera. I'm thinking about the Acti ACM-1231 or the Vivotek IP7142..

Have any of you tried these?

I appreciate all answers a lot!

Mag

depends on where the install location is and the enviornment effects. ie. lighting day & night. indoor outdoor. target area. expected target results via video.what are you trying to record?

I can use a 40 dollar camer inplace of many 500 dollar ip cams as long as the target area is low on my scale for video recording......and the target area is smalll and close, well lit, ect.

cameras are like tools. you need to know what the job is BEFORE you you grab one.

depends on where the install location is and the enviornment effects. ie. lighting day & night. indoor outdoor. target area. expected target results via video.what are you trying to record?

I can use a 40 dollar camer inplace of many 500 dollar ip cams as long as the target area is low on my scale for video recording......and the target area is smalll and close, well lit, ect.

cameras are like tools. you need to know what the job is BEFORE you you grab one.

Couldn't of said it better myself!

I'm planning to monitor my driveway.. It will be used as a outdoor cam day and night. I'm not sure what more to add..

Mag

I'm planning to monitor my driveway.. It will be used as a outdoor cam day and night. I'm not sure what more to add..

Mag

You could add the important part, like is the area well-lit at night time?

I think VST's point was that if the area is always very well-lit, it doesn't matter much what camera you use, because any camera can handle that task.

I don't know what other people's experiences have been, but I've had significantly more reliability problems with Vivotek(several failures) than with Acti (actually, almost no problems with Acti, and I've installed far more Acti)

the vivotek has a very important feature called WDR (Wide Dynamic range) This means it deals with low light and high light in the same picture much better than a normal cam. This comes into affect when you have vehicles driving in at night time. The headlights will have a LESS blinding affect to the cam than normal.

IMO the Acti does not perform well at all in megapixel res so dont let this unfluence you decisison (vivotek 640x480). When under high res the shutter speed seems slow so objects blur. Like it doesnt have progressive scan. This gets way worse when you work with lower frame rate.

One of ACTi 3401 at my customer's store keeps on going offline (once or twice in 2 month) for some reason. It comes right back when power cycled, though.

Ya ATCI for sure im not a huge fan of vivotek.

But from what ive seen ATCI is a great camera one of the first one we added to our NVR.