scoutfu

Do any DVR Cards support 64bit Operating Systems?

Hi,

I need to get a CCTV card for a building with use of around 8 cameras. I was recommended the AverMedia NV5000 Hybrid PCI Card.

The PC we were going to use has Windows 7 x64 on it, so i contacted AverMedia to ask if they had 64bit drivers and they said that they had no plans in releasing any 64bit software.

Does anyone know whether there are any good CCTV Card's which support 64bit operating systems or am i going to have to downgrade to a 32bit OS?

Cheers

Hi,

I need to get a CCTV card for a building with use of around 8 cameras. I was recommended the AverMedia NV5000 Hybrid PCI Card.

The PC we were going to use has Windows 7 x64 on it, so i contacted AverMedia to ask if they had 64bit drivers and they said that they had no plans in releasing any 64bit software.

Does anyone know whether there are any good CCTV Card's which support 64bit operating systems or am i going to have to downgrade to a 32bit OS?

Cheers

There are very few, the reason is that the SDK that most softwares are built on are 32 bits, I see that TI now have more and more 64 bits chips so there are then something happening, but this will take time!

JD

Is there any particular reason you NEED to use a 64-bit OS? The only real benefit I could see to it, without the software being optimized for it, would be the ability to use more then 3.5GB of installed RAM... but I have yet to come across a DVR that will even come close to using all of that.

Is there any particular reason you NEED to use a 64-bit OS? The only real benefit I could see to it, without the software being optimized for it, would be the ability to use more then 3.5GB of installed RAM... but I have yet to come across a DVR that will even come close to using all of that.

There are a number of dvr cards out there that specify the minimum system requirements should be 2GB of RAM. And this is for a 16-channel or 32-channel system. What happens in the case of a 64-channel system?

For your typical software compression DVR cards, how much memory should one expect to need for each channel, assuming D1 compression?

And what about in the case of more "intelligent" dvr software that do a lot of post video processing and analysis (e.g. face recognition, crowd detection etc?). Would they not need a lot of data to work with (hence, a higher RAM requirement)?

Depends on how they use the RAM I suppose. I'm mostly just familiar with the Vigil systems, and I know the main requirement for them is that they have enough RAM to fully load their MSSQL database. The settings for the database allow you to allocate a portion of the RAM to database use, and requirements are generally that you have at least 256MB unallocated. So with 1GB RAM, you leave 256MB free, and allocate the the remaining 768MB to database use. That then allows up to a 768MB database to be loaded without slowdown.

Probably the "busiest" system I have in use is a 32-channel system with 23 analog (D1) cameras and five 1.3MP IP cameras, all averaging about 4fps, with 9.5TB of total storage for around 90 days' retention. In that case, the database is currently a little under 640MB. Framerate and resolution don't have a direct effect - the database tracks video files, so the more files you have, the larger the database.

One trick we've used when the database outgrows the free RAM, if upgrading the RAM isn't an immediate option, is to increase the framerate and/or resolution on a couple cameras, so that the video takes more space, thus reducing the number of video clips, and thereby reducing the database size.

Since MSSQL is limited to 2GB for a single database, anything more than 2GB RAM available to the database would be pointless on these systems, so 3GB RAM on these systems is more than enough.

Now all that said, again, the need for more RAM is really dependent on how the particular system uses the RAM. In normal PCs, large amounts of RAM are mostly good for loading large files, like super-large photos in Photoshop, or large video clips (or giant maps and textures in games, if that's your thing). If your DVR limits the individual file sizes, that shouldn't be an issue.

I tend to take "system requirements" with a grain of salt.... most cases, they're somewhat exaggerated because people would complain about the performance they'd get from "bare minimum requirements".

Can you run geovision on a 64 bit server using VMware (or something similar) in 32bit mode?

I am using windows server 2008 R2 & I would love to keep everything on one server.

A DVR is something you really want to have a dedicated machine for - they tend to be very processor- and I/O-intensive, much moreso than RAM-intensive. I'd be worried about other processes affecting DVR operations, moreso than the DVR processing slowing down other processes.

In most cases, I think the hardware drivers (for the capture card) supporting the 64-bit OS would be more of a problem than simply running the software on a 64-bit OS.

A DVR is something you really want to have a dedicated machine for - they tend to be very processor- and I/O-intensive, much moreso than RAM-intensive. I'd be worried about other processes affecting DVR operations, moreso than the DVR processing slowing down other processes.

In most cases, I think the hardware drivers (for the capture card) supporting the 64-bit OS would be more of a problem than simply running the software on a 64-bit OS.

The real bottleneck today is the motherboards and the channels you put the data thru, with Hardware compression cards no problem using 8 cards each with 16 channels 4CIF @ 25FPS, so far no problem, but the problem is when you want all the data from 128 cameras into your harddrives! The motherbords will not manage all this data and the computer will stop working! CPU can handle it and so can the Memory, the direct overlap/DSP will aslo have no problem showing 128 channels, but to transport all this data to 1 or several harddisks is ****ty!

So less your need is to use it for more then a DVR machine I think that 32bit is still ok for you, but with more PCI-Xpress cards and bigger bandwith it can be useful in the future!

JD

JD

This is disappointing. The avermedia site does not even mention the lack of 64-bit support anywhere that I found (though I notice some of the resellers mention it isn't supported... guess they got tired of returns). The drivers don't even check the version and just install anyway on a 64-bit machine... they just don't work. Hopefully they will come to their senses and figure out 64-bit drivers. It is just going to become more and more of an issue as time goes on.

sorry to bump this thread, but its very educatiing, and its the problem im facing.. I have swapped to a 64 bit system here are my details..

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T,  2.94 GHz, 512 KB

Video: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1280x1024x32bpp 60Hz)

Sound: Realtek Digital Output(Optical)

Memory: Used: 7585/8190MB

Uptime: 3h 58m 55s

HD Space: Free: 279.17 GB/447.02 GB

Well, im also adding a separate 1tb internal HDD to this.. maybe 2

and basically i cant run my cameras on here. I built this system, so i wouldnt have to run 2 different computer/wanna be servers in the office 1 for cameras, 1 for software.My softwareis fine, but im guess the driver for my card is incompatible. with 64bit os. And 32bit wont read 8gigs of ram. I had it on win xp pro, with an interl celeron 2.4ghz with 768mb ram. And it was slow.. OMG it kinda sucked.. trying to playback and all that.. slow!!

So question.. I know there has to be a PCI card somewhere.. U cant tell me there isnt a PCI or PCIe card out there, because they didnt see money in it..

Just out a week or two ago.

Divis allows 64Bit Win7 on their DVR.

http://www.divisdvr.com/divis/default_read.asp?id=2

I havent used the 64bit version, but I can vouch for their cards and software. Simple - Intuitive - reliable.

I have one of them running in the field - I noticed no difference between it & the 32 bit version, but I haven't had much time to play with it - if it speeds up smart search (filters on the fly) I just may switch.. Time to test the next one.

Apparently the 64 bit support came just in time, I bought 2 system builder copies of Win7 64 by mistake. This co is actually fairly responsive, they added a time stamp on playback @ my request 3-4 months ago.

Just out a week or two ago.

Divis allows 64Bit Win7 on their DVR.

http://www.divisdvr.com/divis/default_read.asp?id=2

I havent used the 64bit version, but I can vouch for their cards and software. Simple - Intuitive - reliable.

i got happy for a while, but now the rep tells me it might not be compatible, because i dont have pentiu,. What in the heck!!??

Why should i have to use Intel. Well, anyone let me knowif they have tried it on an AM3 board. As i am running AMD phenom X6 with 8 gigs ram. and a 512 or 1 gig vid card in case anyone wants to know. link of pdf below.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gccxs9

i got happy for a while, but now the rep tells me it might not be compatible, because i dont have pentiu,. What in the heck!!??

Why should i have to use Intel. Well, anyone let me knowif they have tried it on an AM3 board. As i am running AMD phenom X6 with 8 gigs ram. and a 512 or 1 gig vid card in case anyone wants to know. link of pdf below.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gccxs9

Most DVR cards only support Intel, SIS, or Nvidia .. just not AMD or Via.

Some will still work though.