rory

Any MAC IP Server Software?

One thing is you can go with a camera that requires no software, all you need is built in, like Mobotix. Then you only need the Mac to view the camera and events through a browser. I think Mobitix even has a Mac version of it's software.

Also, have you considered VMWare Fusion. I run it on my Macbook with a couple of operating systems depending on what I'm doing. For example, I run Vista, SUSE Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux so I can run the apps that I need to run. It works surpisingly well.

One example is that you can run a Windows program by just clicking an icon for it and it will boot up Windows XP, start that program and all inside of a window. At the same time, you can run all your favorite OS X software. You'll probably need more memory but that's cheap these days.

One thing is you can go with a camera that requires no software, all you need is built in, like Mobotix. Then you only need the Mac to view the camera and events through a browser. I think Mobitix even has a Mac version of it's software.

Also, have you considered VMWare Fusion. I run it on my Macbook with a couple of operating systems depending on what I'm doing. For example, I run Vista, SUSE Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux so I can run the apps that I need to run. It works surpisingly well.

One example is that you can run a Windows program by just clicking an icon for it and it will boot up Windows XP, start that program and all inside of a window. At the same time, you can run all your favorite OS X software. You'll probably need more memory but that's cheap these days.

Yeah I use virtual PCs religiously.

But . the person wants a MAC server for multiple cameras, view them all on one screen etc. all recording as a regular DVR/NVR server app does. Also, the idea is to use a new dedicated Mac, if they wanted to use Windows they would buy a new dedicated Windows PC

Just client but the server will run on linux

Thanks, mentioned it to them, they seem stuck on mac though but even that looks like it might not happen. How about Exacq on a 1.6 Atom Laptop with stripped down XP, that way can just stick it on a shelf and forget about it, plus it has the LCD monitor built in :)

Just client but the server will run on linux

Thanks, mentioned it to them, they seem stuck on mac though but even that looks like it might not happen. How about Exacq on a 1.6 Atom Laptop with stripped down XP, that way can just stick it on a shelf and forget about it, plus it has the LCD monitor built in

Starting to warm up to Exacq, Rory?

not really, well never say never .. havent touched it since then but im looking for something i can run on a mini laptop and stick in the garage and forget about it ...BUT with Windows features not the limited stand alone DVRs ... DVR cards too big so the PC has to be big for them.

not really, well never say never .. havent touched it since then but im looking for something i can run on a mini laptop and stick in the garage and forget about it ...BUT with Windows features not the limited stand alone DVRs ... DVR cards too big so the PC has to be big for them.

You ever play around with anything in the PC104 form factor, like these? http://www.ampltd.com/pc104/video/vsp2000.html

http://mangodsp.com/default.asp?id=49&productId=34

Has anyone tried Security Spy from Ben software? It is Mac based and can be expanded to handle a lot of cameras depending on the level of mac computer you are using.

I've used Security Spy on a small install (six cameras) and been pleased with it, but more importantly, you can download and try it for free, so you can decide for yourself whether it does what you need... (images will be watermarked with something that indicates that you've not yet bought a license).

2nd security spy. we just integrated it into our mobile phone apps. the mjpg fps is decent.

i haven't really found any major nvr for mac yet though.

You can try http://www.vitamindinc.com/ ... It is Mac native, and looks pretty interesting.

Price and features appear great, CPU overhead is not so great. Depends on how many cameras you have, but I believe they require 1 core per 1 to 2 cameras. But I would imagine that the more optimistic number is lower resolution, but you can download it and test it, they do have an OSX version.