hoper

Trying to id cam pin out

I have several VK-S 234 box cameras, not familiar with CCTV and terminology used . I need any help with finding the schematic of the pin out on the 9 lead ribbon , or ID the volt in, video out, and lens and iris control. Is this camera IP capable? Would like to get the video to my DVR. Then the small flat screen TV,or any suggestions on hooking through a computer. If I can get the video out, it will be stationary mounted .Cant find much on this cam. Any help would be appreciated Thanks 73's Ed.

Can you provide pictures of this cam?

Edit: okay, the info I found on it says it's made by Hitachi and is used as the "guts" for several different manufacturers' PTZ cameras.

It's POSSIBLE that the 9-pin ribbon to it can be hooked up directly to power, video and serial control, but there's also a chance that it needs an outboard voltage regulator/power supply, video processing, and/or buffer interface for the RS-232.

Best bet might be to contact Hitachi directly for the technical info.

Hi,

If your still looking for info on the Hitachi VK series camera I have all you want to know. I have the pin-out as well as the serial communication code. I also have the code to control the Zoom, Iris & Focus. It is written in Bascom basic for an Atmel AVR micro-controller. All this I will freely give if someone requests it. Just let me know.

Regards,

Dennis L.

Soundy,

The camera is NOT IP compatible. I tried to attach the pin-out but it didn't go. So I will explain it. Holding the camera so the lens is facing the same direcion as your looking. The 9 pin connector on the upper right corner. Pin 1 is on the left as marked.

Pin 1 = Serial RX.

Pin 2 = Serial TX.

Pin 3 = Serial Ground

Pin 4 = 9 - 12 volt +

Pin 5 = Power ground

Pin 6 = Video composit

Pin 7 = Video Ground

Pin 8 = EX.FV (I don't know what is it)

Pin 9 = Ground

Power for the camera is 9vdc - 12vdc. I have plenty more info for you than this if you need it. If you can make your own circuit boards and have a way to print Autocad 2000 I have a board layout I made that has connectors for Video, Power & Serial. Oh BTW holding the camera as stated above the camera is upside down. 9 pin connector is actually on the bottom. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dennis L.

Soundy,

The camera is NOT IP compatible.

Didn't figure it was. Looks like the innards of a half-dozen mid-grade PTZs I've opened up.

I tried to attach the pin-out but it didn't go.

No, attachments have been broken for a long time. You need to host the image somewhere (tinypic, imageshack, photobucket, etc.) and link to that.

Good info, though!

I am using a Futurlec ATmega8535 controller board for the serial communication. It is all done with software. I freely share the software. As of right now it will control the Zoom, Iris & Focus. I plan on adding a function to turn the IR cut filter on & Off for use with the Hitachi VK-S454R. I made a Interface board that mounts on the back of the camera. It has 4 connectors. Video, Power, Serial & a 9 pin flat cable connector. I also have a half bridge rectifier so power can't be hooked up wrong. I don't think it uses TTL level shifting but I don't know much about that. You can see the photos at Photobucket.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx37/Neptune769

I am using a Futurlec ATmega8535 controller board for the serial communication. It is all done with software. I freely share the software. As of right now it will control the Zoom, Iris & Focus. I plan on adding a function to turn the IR cut filter on & Off for use with the Hitachi VK-S454R. I made a Interface board that mounts on the back of the camera. It has 4 connectors. Video, Power, Serial & a 9 pin flat cable connector. I also have a half bridge rectifier so power can't be hooked up wrong. I don't think it uses TTL level shifting but I don't know much about that. You can see the photos at Photobucket.

I think Soundy and I figured you were going to be using a standard PC com port, RS232 data lines are a much higher voltage than the TTL lines inside a device like a PTZ unit typically are.

In looking at the Atmega kit you are using, it has a MAX232 chip that creates standard RS232 voltages from the data lines on the Atmega chip... Of course, if it's working fine that way, we might be wrong... But you might want to check specs, and maybe use data from the lines before the MAX232.... Or maybe, the connector block in your pictures does level converting..

BTW, the bridge for preventing reverse voltage is a good idea, but did you take the 1.2 volt drop into account?

Yeah, a half-bridge won't do the trick, you need a full bridge, which means however you hook it up, you'll have two diodes in line - that's AT LEAST a 1.2V drop (probably closer to 1.4V).

That board doesn't have the rectifier. http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx37/Neptune769/IMG_3472small.jpg try this one. The picture you posted is has a DC -DC converter 12vdc in 5vdc 5amp out and 9vdc 2amp out. It also has a serial connector (2 pin) and a 6 pin for two servos for Pan/Tilt. The small brown cable just below the flat cable is video out. The Atmel chip is a micro-controller that processes commands from the main Atmel micro at the control box.

Regards,

Dennis

Thanks everybody for chiming in maybe I can fool around with this thing and get video out of it.Thanks again Ed.

Ok I'm going to try to post a photo again. It is a photo of how I originally interfaced to the camera.

113792_1.jpg

I removed the surface mounted flat cable connector. I soldered 5 wires directly to the pads on the board where the connector used to be. the other end of the wires go the the DB-9. I cut a hole in the metal case and mounted the DB-9. The mating DB-9 has a RCA jack for video, a power connector and a connector for serial.

Dennis

I think Soundy and I figured you were going to be using a standard PC com port, RS232 data lines are a much higher voltage than the TTL lines inside a device like a PTZ unit typically are.

In looking at the Atmega kit you are using, it has a MAX232 chip that creates standard RS232 voltages from the data lines on the Atmega chip... Of course, if it's working fine that way, we might be wrong... But you might want to check specs, and maybe use data from the lines before the MAX232.... Or maybe, the connector block in your pictures does level converting..

BTW, the bridge for preventing reverse voltage is a good idea, but did you take the 1.2 volt drop into account?

Hi Hardwired,

I'm sorry I missed this post. Anyway, Your right about the RS232 chip. However I am not connected to it. It is connected to one of the other I/O ports of the Micro. The RS232 port is being saved to communicate to an identical board for future use. I am in the middle of creating a web site that will try to explain how I made it all work.

I have found that the cameras work on 9-12v but I have had 13.5v at one point without problems. That was an accident by the way. I don't recommend going over 12vdc. At 12v the 1.2v drop is not an issue.

Regards,

Dennis