si_kungs

cctv for monitoring volcanic activity

what cctv can be used for monitoring volcanic activity? my idea was to use a ptz camera with high x zoom. what camera can you recommend?

what cctv can be used for monitoring volcanic activity? my idea was to use a ptz camera with high x zoom. what camera can you recommend?

Wow, that's a pretty esoteric purpose! Sounds cool, though (pun not intended)! I guess the first question is, what do you want to monitor exactly? Do you need close-up, high-detail video of things like crater activity and ground movements, or wide views of general activity, or...?

I'd think something if you wanted something for long-term reliability, you'd want something fairly far away with a high resolution, so it's not damaged by the heat and corrosive gasses that are common to volcanoes. You'd certainly want a high-quality weather-sealed enclosure to protect the camera.

At the high end of the scale, there's another thread here where a 16MP Avigilon camera with an effective 1200mm focal length that's used to view activities several miles away in pretty good detail... but you're looking at something in the range of tens of thousands of dollars.

you need optics as the action could be KM`s away -a good IP DN camera with zoom lens in a explosion proof PTZ housing. [AXIS Q1755 comes to mind]

There are some integrated units like the metal mickys from extreme/bosch

that will work out of the box. ...ehh... dont know about lava tho....

I would throw in a thermal camera there then you can really see the action !

CBC ganz has a dual thermal/IR/color zoom unit

z

you need optics as the action could be KM`s away -a good IP DN camera with zoom lens in a explosion proof PTZ housing. [AXIS Q1755 comes to mind]

Yeah, if you're placing your camera a long way from the site, quality of optics will be critical - the lens alone mounted to that 16MP Avigilon listed above lists at $10,000.

There are some integrated units like the metal mickys from extreme/bosch

that will work out of the box. ...ehh... dont know about lava tho....

Yeah, really depends on your needs - again, whether it needs to be close to the site or not. Something closer, the housing and protection is going to be a LOT more critical.

I would throw in a thermal camera there then you can really see the action !

CBC ganz has a dual thermal/IR/color zoom unit

z

Oh yeah, I was gonna mention that too, thermal would be kick-ass for this purpose. FLIR is one of the big names in that area - www.flir.com

thanks for the input. will check out the avigilon 16MP

Check out the thread here: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11322&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=83

wow. nice setup. need a large housing to house this one. i have check avigilon's website they dont have ptz camera. the one used in the link was a professional HD series.

Yeah, the range something like that would operate at, PTZ probably wouldn't be a huge benefit - you'd be placing it probably 10+km from the mountain and wouldn't be moving it more than a couple degrees anyway.

yeah. will thermal imaging placed at this distance be effective?

Oh sure. Thermal imaging looks very different from visible light imaging - generally the cooler something is, the darker it is in the picture. The image is unaffected by ambient light - images look pretty much the same day or night.

Here are some examples, with a series of thermal cameras on top of a 50' tower, accompanied with a day/night Pelco Esprit PTZ:

This is a FLIR SR-19 from just a few moments ago - contrast is low because heavy rain cools down everything:

113815_1.jpg

This is a visible-light image from approximately the same position, at the same time:

113815_2.jpg

From the same tower, in a different direction:

113815_3.jpg

And visible light:

113815_4.jpg

And for comparison, the same shot from the FLIR in the day:

113815_5.jpg

I don't know if they make a PTZ. You could mount something like these SR-19s on a PTZ platform and get at least the pan-tilt function. On this particular site, we used two of these, and a WideEye model, which provides a full 180-degree view, essentially using two cameras in one box:

118596_1.jpg118596_2.jpg

Yes, there are full PTZ FLIR cameras, used in high level security installations like prisons...and in chemical industry for monitoring some hazardous processes. But the price... One that I've seen, was a military 'toy' used for back-up targeting for RBS-15B anti ship missile

Yeah, that's the one problem, the thermal stuff is NOT cheap. If memory serves, the FLIR WideEye runs in the $25k range... the SR-19s around $15k.

On the other hand, if this setup is going to be used just for hobby purposes-FLIR is out of question in any form. And I think lens assembly for few km long coverage-also.

As I know, FLIR cameras aren't designed for continuous use because they are highly dependant on their coolant for proper operation. Usually, such devices for science and geological survey are triggered by seismograph or LIDAR devices. At the end, such cameras are custom built for specific purpose.

most models will run 24x7 , that's there job. coolant ? only when Elvis was around !

They run sterling engines etc...

Now we have hi-res un-cooled ones

The Bosch/Extreme MIC is already at volcano sites today. working.

Msg me if you want more info.

what is the model? how far are the cameras positioned from the crater?

most models will run 24x7 , that's there job. coolant ? only when Elvis was around !

They run sterling engines etc...

Now we have hi-res un-cooled ones

Hello,

I have "some" experience with Flir cameras, what I know cooled cameras are still in use.

Flir (like few other thermal camera producers) have cooled and uncooled cameras,

all cameras can work 24/7 - but cooled models have special cooling module which should be exchanged after some time (depending on producer, normal after 5.000 hrs), this cost money so cooled cameras are not using 24/7; uncooled cameras can work constantly - thermal detector life time is ~4,5 years (I know systems with cameras working ~10 years).

Cooled models are much more precise so "guys with guns" use it very often...

Cooled models are only one which can find car size obiect from few tens of kilometers (more then 20...)

Slawek

If you want to keep the camera safely out of harm's way, it's possible to get phenomenal distance without spending $10,000.

I have a small telescope (Celestron Nexstar 5). It's a 5" Schmidt-Cassegrain unit with an effective focal length of 1347mm. I bought an adapter which fits onto a $99 Logitech webcam and lets it slip into the telescope's visual back. The setup is intended for astrophotography, but I have used it quite successfully for terrestrial viewing; I have made videos of activity 20+ miles away using this setup. The telescope cost me about $1000, the camera was < $100, and the adapter was maybe $20. The downside is it's not PTZ.

I have a small telescope (Celestron Nexstar 5). It's a 5" Schmidt-Cassegrain unit with an effective focal length of 1347mm.

I bought an adapter which fits onto a $99 Logitech webcam and lets it slip into the telescope's visual back.

Which adapter did u get?

link plz

Thx