WRS_Mark

Things you find.......

I could have used that snow, or least some cold, a few weeks ago when i had heat/sun stroke out in the field in 90 degree + heat .. the area where the camera was that I was working on, was like an oven ... we've had a long long long hot hot summer

I could have used that snow, or least some cold, a few weeks ago when i had heat/sun stroke out in the field in 90 degree + heat .. the area where the camera was that I was working on, was like an oven ... we've had a long long long hot hot summer

Nasty. I hate being on a steel building in hot weather. Helped a friend install a camera system at his acreage in late June when it was in the mid-30's Celsius. Had to wrap the cables around a communications line from the Quonset (Galvanized Steel building -might as well have been on top of an oven when I mounted the cameras) to the house while standing in the bucket of a tractor. I would post a picture of that but that might not be a good example of "Professional Installation Procedures".

We did a job this past summer, mounting cameras on the sides of a warehouse. I was working inside running wires and pushing them through the walls; my coworker was outside on the lift. Between the direct sun, and the sun reflecting off the white walls, he was pretty well cooked by the end of the day. And I don't think the air temp was even above 30 (humidity was nasty though).

Is there an easy way to convert from C to F in your head???

I always have to find a converter on the web.

Oh and sorry for shifting this thread away from the primary subject. Someone needs to post another wild install picture or story.

Yea Soundy... Had an exact type install here a few years ago. I was in a metal 2 story building, up in the eaves, running cable and once I was done I almost passed out and was soaked from head to toe. Temp was in the mid 90's but had to be 120+ where I was.

I know... I hate the cold and now I am complaining about the heat.

VERY rough: "double and add 30".

More accurate (actually, VERY accurate): multiply by 9, divide by five, add 32.

Going the other way: subtract 32, multiply by 5, divide by 9.

Or...

F=C*9/5+32

Oh and sorry for shifting this thread away from the primary subject. Someone needs to post another wild install picture or story.

Indeed. Certainly there must be some insane install photos out there. It could become a Sticky here. Even ones which turn out all professional looking and such but with a high degree of difficulty such as, well, mounting a camera in a waterfall to monitor fish impacts on the rocks below would be information worth spreading.

It is silver tape.

OK! I have to confess! It is actually my work. This is a business that is under construction, and the "job" required 16 cameras running 24/7 no ifs, no ands, no buts, and regardless of the contruction going on.

Originally the wires came out of the wall from the attic, and dangled to the cameras.

The night club built a parapet wall higher above the roof line for larger signage on three sides of the building. It was a nightmare with tear down, and build up, stucco, paint, and other work performed.

With new parapet walls I ran the wires inside of crawl space, and the wires came through the wall, and inside of the back of the SCC 931T Zoom cameras.

I would have to remove the cameras so they could install mesh, and then I had to "install" the camera, and then remove them before stucco application, and then I was ordered to attach the cameras to the wall without DRILLING any holes. The building is being reroofed and there was no way to mount them from the roof. Had to do the same during the primer, and painting.

You can see where they are mounting the architectual foam, and they have not been stuccoed.

The guys threw that stucco without care, and the owner would not allow the cameras to be removed leaving the system unoperable.

All of these cameras run to another building to a DVR, and back to this building to the managers office. This job pays better by the foot then by the hour!

Edited by Guest

Here is a view of one of the three new parapet walls.

114288_1.jpg

Here is the view inside the crawl space created by the wall support.

114288_2.jpg

The signage company hired me to crawl through here, and do a 90 degree turn (impossible without getting permantly stuck in there) for about 100 feet on my belly through here in late July to install wires through all of the signage channel lettering.

It was hot, muggy, and hateful!

I always have to find a converter on the web.

Yea Soundy... Had an exact type install here a few years ago. I was in a metal 2 story building, up in the eaves, running cable and once I was done I almost passed out and was soaked from head to toe. Temp was in the mid 90's but had to be 120+ where I was.

I know... I hate the cold and now I am complaining about the heat.

welcome to just about every day in the tropics

The signage company hired me to crawl through here, and do a 90 degree turn (impossible without getting permantly stuck in there) for about 100 feet on my belly through here in late July to install wires through all of the signage channel lettering.

something like that at the night club here but its a little more space, also when you get by the DJ booth area of it, there were piles of used condoms!!!!

something like that at the night club here but its a little more space, also when you get by the DJ booth area of it, there were piles of used condoms!!!!

Nice! So you get to wear a HAZMAT suit AND deal with the excessive heat, eh?

Awww yeah!

Nice! So you get to wear a HAZMAT suit AND deal with the excessive heat, eh?

ha ha .. I paid someone else to crawl up in there

yea there was another opening into that crawl space at the DJ booth for some reason .. handy for them I guess. I dont know if anything actually took place in the crawl space or they just used that opening as a place to throw their used condoms

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the first one for now.

I find it's also handy to have a conversion calculator on my phone - good for lengths, areas, volumes, speeds, etc.

Back to the subject: I don't have any pics of it, but I recently upgraded a site, replacing an old B&W National dome with a WDR color CNB for watching the front door of an apartment building, and the old Sanyo VCR with a cheap four-channel DVR. However, the site was happy with the existing wiring, so they didn't want the quote to include re-running it: a single piece of station wire, running inside the hard ceiling from the camera, but poking out just by the back wall of the lobby... then through the wall and out into the stairwell... then running along the walls of the stairwell, down to the basement... through the wall into the hallway, then down the hallway to the electrical room where the equipment was located.

I've definitely seen worse... thin white wire along white walls isn't TOO ugly (just a little ugly).

Silly thing is, the building super had spent plenty of time insisting, when I first visited the site, that they were fine with the old wire... but when it came time to install, he tried insisting that the generic line "wiring and connectors" on the quote meant it SHOULD be rewired, and that I'd told him on the previous visit that we would rewire it, and that he'd had quotes from other companies that included rewiring (yeah, one other, who wanted to sell them a complete over-the-top multi-cam system for about five times the price). The boss declared that, no, we would NOT be rewiring... buddy tossed a couple of "blah blah shoddy treatment yada yada" out, but ultimately I convinced him that his wiring would be fine, and he agreed that I should continue, and if the results weren't acceptable, THEN we'd have a problem...

Well, I found the installer had used a balun at the camera... but not at the VCR. Wow, no wonder the picture was shyte. Put baluns at both ends, slapped in the new camera... and man, was he impressed. (Actually, probably would have been happy with the old camera once it was connected properly, but no point in going there )

yea there was another opening into that crawl space at the DJ booth for some reason .. handy for them I guess. I dont know if anything actually took place in the crawl space or they just used that opening as a place to throw their used condoms

I think I will just take my chances with electrocution instead. At least if someone finds me unconscious, I won't be lying on a bed of pre owned French Safes.

Well, I found the installer had used a balun at the camera... but not at the VCR. Wow, no wonder the picture was shyte. Put baluns at both ends, slapped in the new camera... and man, was he impressed. (Actually, probably would have been happy with the old camera once it was connected properly, but no point in going there )

Always being honest does not mean having to divulge ALL the unnecessary details.

I think I will just take my chances with electrocution instead. At least if someone finds me unconscious, I won't be lying on a bed of pre owned French Safes.

Well down here, crawling around attics will give one plenty chances to get electrocuted since we have no enforced codes (or laws) here. Ive been hit so many times I lost count.

Well down here, crawling around attics will give one plenty chances to get electrocuted since we have no enforced codes (or laws) here. Ive been hit so many times I lost count.

Yikes...

Taking the Libertarian approach to life are we?

That can sometimes work against you I suppose.....

The first pic with the 'half Bushnell' had me rolling in laughter! That's brilliant!

The DVR from the barn is just scary.

Well I went back a few weeks ago and found where exactly those live wires terminated:

124605_1.jpg

Yep. -That is an indoor surge protector.

Then last week I went back and replaced all but one of the old cameras in -20c weather. Came upon this gem:

124605_2.jpg

124605_3.jpg

124605_4.jpg

I accidentally broke the lens. Combined with the "Half Bushnell", I will be building a glass case to house both cameras for future generations to marvel at.