Hi,

Has anyone set up a vsi pro text inserter from till to a pelco pc based dvr, i just wanted to know about the rs232 port and can i use standard rs232 with an adaptor to make a rs232 triport cable as manual states.

The DVR doesn't matter so much, as the register type does. What register type are you interfacing with? Usually you just have to tap into the TXD line and ground from the register (usually pins 3 and 5 on the male register side) and that goes to pins 2 and 5 on the inserter (RXD and ground)

The DVR shouldn't matter anyway, as the text inserter is just overlaying the text on the video before it gets to the DVR.

Really, all that matters is that your POS has serial output, and that your TVS can understand its data. Usually that means the POS is configured to spit out data in a generic delimited ASCII format.

I don't know about the Casio box, but the Honeywell one I've used includes an assortment of cables and adapters for the RS-232 interface.

We run tons of VSI Pro units. Great units, the only problem I have is when there is an extended cable run, the Pro Overlay box just has a pass through, it does NOT amplify the signal.

At any rate, call AVE or check their website for the correct cable. Be sure to get the part number as your distributor probably has their own part number that they will need to cross reference.

Chris Moya at AVE is the know all if you need technical help.

We run tons of VSI Pro units. Great units, the only problem I have is when there is an extended cable run, the Pro Overlay box just has a pass through, it does NOT amplify the signal.

At any rate, call AVE or check their website for the correct cable. Be sure to get the part number as your distributor probably has their own part number that they will need to cross reference.

Chris Moya at AVE is the know all if you need technical help.

Thanks

Has anyone implemented a text inserter using a standard Dell/HP PC based register with a RS-232 port? Any tips on the configuration?

Not specifically; the function would be dependent on the particular software used, which I would guess has nothing to do with the PC manufacturer anyway. Generically, you'd probably configure the software for a "Polewatcher" type of device - you know, the simple little LED displays you see on a lot of paypoints that display the prices to the customer as they're being rung through. It's a plain ASCII output that pretty much all TVS boxes should be able to understand.