WRS_Mark

Housing for Box Style Cameras In Corrosive Environment

I going to install some ACTi 5611's in standard weatherproof housings next month at a potash mine. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a housing which will stand up better to salt water, salt spray and just a lot of salt? I was considering spraying the housing with a coat of silicone just to help protect the finish but figured there might be something out there that you folks who live near the ocean or have done installs in similar conditions could recommend.

Thanks a lot.

the Extreme CCTV EX82 housings hold up real well :D

Actually if you can find some damaged ones you could just gut them and place your camera inside that. I just saw someone with 6 bad ones here that got hit by lightning .. would have been perfect but they still want to hold onto them for some reason. I have them 10 years now right on the beach through all the hurricanes and all. I just gutted another one also but left the IR to use that, works well with a rather cheap IR bullet instead of the client buying a new EX82 (cameras were bad).

I guess other than that the big brands should have something.

I don't know about ocean air specifically, but we've been using Pelco EH3512-series housings in car washes for many years - the exteriors get pretty nasty with the soap buildup and corrosion and the paint coming off, but the cameras stay clean and pristine inside.

Thanks for the ideas. The Pelcos are very similar to what I am going to try first, with an application of silicone spray on the top, back, and sides just for good measure. They will get sprayed with a pressure washer from time to time as well (IP66 rated). The stainless steel housings definitely look like the way to go for the next phase. Especially the units with the washer/wiper combination. Appreciate the suggestions.

The 3512's hold up reasonably well, and you may want to check the price comparison for stainless stuff, last time I checked, you could replace the 3512's a few times, with labor, and still break even on cost...

BTW, the washer/ wipers tend to scratch the heck out of the front window, you should probably just plan on a regular cleaning schedule.

The 3512's hold up reasonably well, and you may want to check the price comparison for stainless stuff, last time I checked, you could replace the 3512's a few times, with labor, and still break even on cost...

BTW, the washer/ wipers tend to scratch the heck out of the front window, you should probably just plan on a regular cleaning schedule.

Yeah, I did some looking around and you are correct about prices on the stainless steel housings. They are more expensive than the cameras. But this is one of those installations where the customer is not concerned about cost as the system is being used to monitor equipment for break downs, equipment becoming jammed or critical areas where machine failure is imminent, so if the system can save them from sudden downtime it pays for itself very, very quickly.

And good point about the wipers. The way the areas is cleaned is by having a guy walk around with a pressure wand washing things down. I was thinking that if there is some left over residue on the window then the washer/wiper could be used to remove it.

It will be interesting to see how well the standard IP66 rated aluminum housings last. Thinking about it, I suppose it is tough to tell how well they will stand up in an environment with such a high salt content -much worse than ocean spray. I know this might sound nuts (and make you question whether I might be the guy connecting Bushnell binocular lenses to an IR camera and using it to zoom in on objects), but I was thinking even if applying a layer of heavy duty shrink wrap to the camera housing just to help protect the finish and improve the chances of the seals lasting by applying a seam of silicone where the housing clamps down. I suppose if the housings begin to prematurely corrode I could replace them with a stainless steel housings. It is a long term project with the plan to install at least 32 1.3MP IP cameras over the next little while so I will have the opportunity to change things. Still, it would be nice to do it right the first time out without going totally overkill.

I have cameras in two production area rooms where they mix salt into solution. In one, I installed a stainless Pelco DF5 dome, with a small Ikegami WDR cube cam.. Works fine, but $$$$.

In another, I have a Pelco EH3512, and a ICS101 dome in place. The powdercoat is starting to peel on them, but the cams themselves are fine, after 2.5 years or so....

Thank you for the information.

I think if I can get 3-5 years out of a standard housing before the thing looks as though it has been there since WW1 then everything is fine. The idea of spending, what? $500/housing for stainless steel (prices found online) versus less than $30/housing from my supplier for an aluminum housing on 32 cameras does seem a little crazy. I will just make sure to replace the fasteners with stainless steel before I perform the install.

Hi! It would be interesting to know what you have eventually installed: Stainless steel or aluminium housing?

From my experience, in a corrosive environment, you should have installed the stainless steel housing, considering also that "this is one of those installation where the customer is not concerned about costs". The problem with corrosion is that it is simply unpredictable so if you can't afford any mistake, on a very critical installation, well the only choice is the stainless steel.

I copy and paste from an article found on the internet years ago, this is interesting for those of you who are interested in corrosion:

"To define the aggressiveness of a corrosive atmosphere is always difficult because the variables in play are very numerous. For example, the corrosiveness of sea water varies with temperature, turbulence, salinity, oxygen content, the presence or absence of pollutants".

"The concept of the corrosiveness of an environment is a complex one, as is the phenomenon of corrosion itself. At times it happens that a material considered to be resistant corrodes quickly in an environment that is apparently only slightly aggressive; at others on the other hand, a material held to be of low resistance does not corrode in an environment that is apparently very aggressive. Sometimes small additions to a corrosive environment are sufficient to cause the behaviour of the material to change."

I hope this is of assistance. GG CCTV

Hi! It would be interesting to know what you have eventually installed: Stainless steel or aluminium housing?

I ended up going with the aluminum housing. The customer is going to monitor the housings and we will deal with anything that comes up if it comes up. Having said that, I will be sure to offer the stainless units in the future should I find myself in a similar situation. Appreciate the words of wisdom that you left in your post.

Thank you very much for the updating!

Good idea to monitor the housigs and see what happens. If no sign of corrosion will appear in the next one year, then everything should be fine and the monitoring can be reduced, but if within one year some parts will corrode then better to change that housing for a stainless steel one.

Consider that, if the housings are installed in different positions, even if in the same environment, they might react in a different way to the corrosive agents, so check regularly ALL the housings.

I agree with you, next time go for the stainless steel and you will forget about it. The initial cost will be higher but how much does the monitoring activity costs??? And in case of replacement? In my opinion, when customer is not much concerned about costs, then better to give them the best!

with alloy try to have them in a sheltered spot. as long as the corrosion doesn't get washed/blown off it will protect the unit.

another crazy thought, take a steel case down to galv place and get it hot dipped galved. they will last 10-20 years in beach front conditions.

note- it has to be hot dipped galv not plated galv. plated is a lot thinner and only last as few years.