TJCCTV

Tough Decision - Long Range Installation

The experts here at CCTV Forum have come through 100%!

Soon I hope to help others as much as they have helped me.

Here's the problem:

Installation nearly completed. Longest range is 1,200 ft with Cat5e and baluns. All cameras so far running perfectly and crystal clear.

Sound great so far?

Conduit for one of the main trunks was over a commercial garage door. Was temporarily held up in position with zip-ties (which held great) until the final run was completed.

Some of the ties released, which let the conduit lower in range of the huge commercial garage door (manual lift). Guy on site was lifting door and when it hung up on "something" (being the CCTV conduit) he repeatedly jammed the door till it opened.

Cat5's not broken. Receiving signal. Now has lots of small lines in nearly all of the cameras.

I've heard that if spliced (I use 3m connectors that seal) that you can loose half or all of the signal due to the change in the twist, etc, of the wires.

So - replace a total of 4,000 feet of underground cabling, or try active receivers, or cut / splice out the section that was damaged.....

Damage consists of the cables apparently being pinched at 90 degrees.

Any thoughts?

I would certainly try splicing the affected section first.

The signal loss you are referring to is for the Cat5 data standards, you will not get losses anywhere near that much on a baseband analog video signal when splicing Cat5, due to the much lower frequencies involved.

The "correct" way to do that splice, according to Cat5 standards, would be to terminate the ends of the cable with Cat5 plugs, and then use splices as shown in the other picture here.

I, personally, would use the 3M "beans" that you are referring to, and keep the twist maintained as tight as possible.

Reason? Durability. The splice blocks are going to be more sensitive to mechanical strain, moisture, as well as having twice as many contact areas to degrade.

There is really no reason not to try this first, before going to the effort of replacing that much cable.

Do make sure to check the cable a fair distance to either side of that damage area, your problem could be from the cable digging into the edge of a conduit fitting a fair distance from the center of the pulled area.

Agreed with the above, try the splice first - nothing to lose! If it works, you're laughing... if not, THEN you can worry about replacing the runs.

Thanks Guys!

As always, you are the greatest.

That was my bet, but I definately appreciate the second-opinions !

TJ