securitysupplies

Free Power over Ethernet solution for IP Camera

I am wondering if anyone of you tried to make of Cat5 cable with proper wiring to power up an IP camera (using 12V DC)?

Because only 2 pairs of wires enough for data comm, is it possible to use another pair for 12V DC power. And at both ends.

Is it really possible? any limitation or risk? or in the market there is such a small device for this special wiring?

Thanks.

Rgds, Dove

Yes, I think I use a wrong wording, PoE is PoE with its standard.

My primary purpose is to make use of one Cat.5 cable for both signal and power so as to save cabling cost or even make use the existing network cabling.

POE uses 48 volts not 12

Well there is a reason they use 48v not 12v for POE. They do make POE injectors and splitters to power NONE-POE cameras and I strongely recommend you go with one of those. Spend the money and do it right.

The 12v on unused pairs might work for short runs but it will be a wiring nightmare. You will have splices and connectors on both ends..... With the amount of labor you will spend TRYING to make this work you could buy the POE products and do it right the first time.

The 12v on unused pairs might work for short runs but it will be a wiring nightmare. You will have splices and connectors on both ends..... With the amount of labor you will spend TRYING to make this work you could buy the POE products and do it right the first time.

+1.

+1.

+2.... Look for the Phihong PSA16U-480 for single channel 802.11af compliant PoE injection, you can find it cheap enough to not need to bother with what you are describing.

I run an Arecont at home by supplying 12V over 2 unused pairs of the CAT5E for 4 meters but this should not be called Power over Ethernet to avoid confusion with the actual PoE standard.

I would never do this on a professional install however.

Believe it or not I've installed 24Vac over the two unused pair of a cat 5 cable to power a heated enclosure and then used a 24vac to 12vdc regulator to power the Arecont camera on the inside. Got 5 of these cameras setup and they've been running 7 months so far. We'll see how well it continues running in the dead of winter. Customer knew of the risks and so far everything is running well.

If anything this is one of those experiments that mama told you to never do LOL!

Longest run is about 75 or so and I was very surprised to see this working as well as it has.

+1.

+2.... Look for the Phihong PSA16U-480 for single channel 802.11af compliant PoE injection, you can find it cheap enough to not need to bother with what you are describing.

I found those on eBay for $100... this by you is "cheap"??? I can get a switch with eight 10/100 PoE ports and two gigabit ports for $300!

POE is great there is no question or debate about it but when it comes to outside cold temp installs there are not too many options available yet. I've seen some POE heated enclosures available and I'll have to take one of those in house to test out. Probably the next iteration of POE standard released will be a higher current....

POE is great there is no question or debate about it but when it comes to outside cold temp installs there are not too many options available yet. I've seen some POE heated enclosures available and I'll have to take one of those in house to test out. Probably the next iteration of POE standard released will be a higher current....

Yeah, that's the main limitation, "current" PoE spec doesn't provide for a lot of current. New spec does, and is slowly making its way into the market, but expect to pay more for it.

+1.

I found those on eBay for $100... this by you is "cheap"??? I can get a switch with eight 10/100 PoE ports and two gigabit ports for $300!

Mouser electronics... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phihong/PSA16U-480POE-R/?qs=UTEM2PllgJ9NAv0bAP4OnQ%3d%3d $20, or less in quantity... Gotta buy the cord separately, though, about another $3.00 or so, unless you're like me, with a bucketload of them already...

Ok, I know people like standards, so a nice setup for powering non-POE devices I've used is the Dlink DWL-P200, as it comes with both a standards compliant PoE Injector and what I like to call an "Un-POE", it takes the 802.3af power off the line, and gives it to you as a seperate 12v or 5v lead.

However, what the origional poster is probably looking at for a much cheaper thing is something along the lines of the POE-PS-150-001 (search for it, since I cant post URLs yet). They're about $5ea.

These work great in a pinch, but as you can see from previous posts, I'm sure we'll all recommend not using this. But at long as things are documented, and labeled, and you are careful, then sure, you can indeed use it, and I've done a few hundred feet with it. Just make sure you account for a voltage drop, and pay attention to amperage requirements for your device.

Ok, I know people like standards, so a nice setup for powering non-POE devices I've used is the Dlink DWL-P200, as it comes with both a standards compliant PoE Injector and what I like to call an "Un-POE", it takes the 802.3af power off the line, and gives it to you as a seperate 12v or 5v lead.

I have a similar LinkSys setup - it was being used to power an access point, but right now I have just the injector portion running an IQ camera. Kinda handy to have around, actually.

I believe the reason that the voltage is higher up to 48volts is that when the voltage is higher, the current can be lower. With the length of most poe installations and the thin wires of cat 5, I wouldn't expect a lot of current being able to be carried by a twisted pair.