amsmt

DDNS

Hey all -

I helped a (friend) customer a few months ago with his Lorex all in one DVR. I set him up with remote viewing. Lorex has a DDNS service that they provide with the DVR. We couldn't get the DVR to update its IP address with the service, is that how it is supposed to work? Does the DVR do the updating or does the router? All of the information for the DDNS service was entered on the DVR.

His IP address was changing multiple times in a day so ultimately we just got him a static IP address and he is good.

It makes sense to me that the DVR would contact the DDNS service and the service would see what IP address it came from, then record it as your new IP.

I can also see how the router would update the service too though, when it's public IP changes.

Can anyone shed some light for me on what I may have had wrong?

I have another customer who has the same lorex setup and wants to be able to view remotely, and I would like to be able to do it without getting a Static IP address. Both routers are Qwest motorola netopia's.

Thanks!

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/bellsouth/3.12_Cayman_Netopia_Info

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/equip,17

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/bellsouth/3.12_Cayman_Netopia_Info#14024

http://www.fastaccess.drivers.bellsouth.net/documents/ITguide_Cayman_3346.pdf

Not sure of your problems. When I first started working with ATT netopia modems I had to call ATT, and sit there for an hour for them to come on line. I wrote everything in step down on paper. When they finally tried the different combinations then they finally got remote video then I kept those notes.

As for your DNS situation there are too many variables. I usually find DNs that go back to a router to have the wrong IP address.

I would contact someone in your area who may be more knowledgeable with your ISP.

They may be blocking ports that cause issues, or maybe the router needs to have the DNS rather than the DVR.

These are things that you have to work out on your own.

I truely do not know what the issue may be

It is weird because I got it up and running fine with a static IP address, so all of my ports are forwarded correctly. The only time it wouldn't work is if the router had been assigned a new IP address from Qwest's DHCP. I would check the DDNS site and it would have the old address still. If I updated the address on the DDNS site, it would work again. I will keep searching and report back if I have any success on it.

Hey all -

I helped a (friend) customer a few months ago with his Lorex all in one DVR. I set him up with remote viewing. Lorex has a DDNS service that they provide with the DVR. We couldn't get the DVR to update its IP address with the service, is that how it is supposed to work? Does the DVR do the updating or does the router? All of the information for the DDNS service was entered on the DVR.

His IP address was changing multiple times in a day so ultimately we just got him a static IP address and he is good.

It makes sense to me that the DVR would contact the DDNS service and the service would see what IP address it came from, then record it as your new IP.

I can also see how the router would update the service too though, when it's public IP changes.

Can anyone shed some light for me on what I may have had wrong?

I have another customer who has the same lorex setup and wants to be able to view remotely, and I would like to be able to do it without getting a Static IP address. Both routers are Qwest motorola netopia's.

Thanks!

If you have a Dynamic IP, you will need to set up an Account on www.dyndns.org. That way when your IP changes, you can connect to the same Hostname (ex: my.dvrdns.org) everytime you connect. It other words, it makes your Dynamic IP a static host address. This is very important if you want to connect to your DVR remotely.

I suspect the reason the DDNS doesn't work when initiated by the DVR is that it does not know the actual address on the internet, only its own IP which is usually on the LAN hosted by the router. The router's DDNS client knows the correct IP and that's the one you should set up with the account info.

With some DSL systems you could set up the modem/router in bridge mode and the DVR's DDNS would work correctly. With a cable modem it should work also if the DVR is connected directly.

I own a Lorex unit... I've used their DDNS service before. I forgot the password to the account though and ended up just making a new account with DynDNS. it's been working fine. just download the update program to your PC. or configure your router for the free ddns service of your choice.

i needed remote access to my network for more reasons than just the DVR, so it made sense to forget about using Lorex's stuff.

I did set up an account with Dyndns, I will try that on this one again. I just wanted to make sure it worked... Good information also on the dsl vs. cable modem. I will post back to let you know how it works.

Thanks!

different companies implement ddns differently. some are proprietary solutions since they make the hardware already. in these cases they usually are not the typical ddns. something more like a combination of uPnP, Zero Config, etc. which are typically mapping mac addresses with ip. hopefully they support some kind of heartbeat or auto update ip address procedure but who knows how often it updates.

dyndns is usually a good way to go though.

The qwest modem does not have ddns capabilities. The dvr does have it, but from what I understand this will not work because the dvr will not know when the IP address changes.

I guess this brings up my next question - what good is the ddns on the dvr if it can't tell when the public IP address changes?

Thanks for the help

If the ddns of the dvr has a way to specify where it sends the request to then it can be used for even DYDNS it's just a matter of does it really send out any information or a "here I am" message.