fcaw11

Two NV8416 build

I building a PC based DVR with two NV8416 cards for a client. Which CPU/motherboard combo?

1. Core2Duo Quad Core Q9400 2.66Ghz CPU or higher with Intel P45 chipset motherboard. Maybe a Quad core Q6600 overclocked to 3.0Ghz.

OR

2. Core i5 750 2.66Ghz with Intel P55 Chipset motherboard. Since HyperThreading must be disabled, I did not choose any Core i7.

Both build options are close in price. Cost is not a factor for the client.

Too late when I see this. Since price is not an issue, why not go with i7, with i7 CPU, you can have H.264 960 D1 recording for 32 channels. Their system have a checkin mechanism, when the CPU is i7, H.264 compression limitation will be lifted and you can go full speed for H.264. Anyway, too late for this case, for your future reference.

Too late when I see this. Since price is not an issue, why not go with i7, with i7 CPU, you can have H.264 960 D1 recording for 32 channels. Their system have a checkin mechanism, when the CPU is i7, H.264 compression limitation will be lifted and you can go full speed for H.264. Anyway, too late for this case, for your future reference.

Thank you for the heads up! I was not aware of the Core i5 limitation on H.264 recording. It's not stated in Avermedia literature. I searched and found handful distributors carrying the NV8416 in the USA.

The warning message when setting recording to 30 FPS 720x480 H.264 is:

"H.264 recording FPS for analog camera cannot exceed 280 CIF / 70 D1 in the system. Your setting of H.264 recording FPS is 2400 and may compromise the performance and stability of the system. Please reduce H.264 recoding FPS."

So are you stating with any Core i7, such as a Core i7 860, H.264 limitation will be lifted? I could just replace the CPU to an 860 then.

Do you mean Core i7 socket 1366 or socket 1156? If you could be more specific it will help everyone's builds.

So I finally have my i7 920 system built and I'm having the same H.264 limitation. Its been running great 24/7 in mpeg4, but I will contact tech support soon about the h.264 problem.

My Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

Intel i7 920 at stock speed

Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud5

4GB ddr3 ram

MSi nvidia 9500gt 512mb

1-NV8416 E4 card

Ver. 7.7.00.0015

Thanks for your input on your build. I've contacted USA AverMedia Tech support in regards to the H.264 limitation with 7.7.0.0015. This is their response:

"Dear Customer,

I was able to get some information about the issue that you are having, it is

one of the limitation on the card due it to it being a software compression

card so it relies more on the CPU to push the compression when in H.264. From

the information that I was provided R&D will be pushing out a new software

version that will allow you to achieve better FPS when using H.264 with CORE

i7 chips. I don't know the exact amount or when this release will happen.

sorry for the inconvenience."

So, GV.Jackie is not correct about Core i7 CPUs.

Sorry didn't come back for a long time.

Actually I am pretty confident that I am right about i7 spec, and socket doesn't matter, it will do as long as it's core i7. You can specifically ask their tech support guy are they aware of this design in their software, then they will check with HQ, I am sure they will admit they were wrong. Make sure you are using latest version and then try again.

Anyway, right now the design has changed again, there will be no more limitaion for H.264 recording frmae rate, software codec will utilize the full power of CPU no matter it's i7 or not, just I am not sure from which version this will be done.

FYR.