neptune769

Question for Texas Installers

Hello,

I have a question for Texas Installers. I have a couple friends that would like to have cameras and a DVR installed. One wants it at their house and the other at a small business. I have set up my own system at my residence. Would I need any kind of license to install a system for them legally? I was chatting with a local installer and they mentioned that the requirements changed with in the past 6 months. And they were installing for a month before they knew about it. Who would I contact to find out about obtaining a license if required?

Thank you,

Dennis L.

take a look at this thread

www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18412 ... =texas+psb

you will also need to get the state required minimum of general liability insurance. it can run anywhere from $900-1800 a year.

honestly though, if you only plan on doing a couple jobs for "friends", then it may be more hassle then it's worth.

the consequences are supposedly severe (up to a year in prison) if your caught installing without a lisense. I doubt anyone's ever been convicted for helping out a friend put up cameras though. Seems kind of a waste of resources... then again I'm sure people are sitting in jail right now for even more stupid things.

bpzle,

Just an idea, but considering this is as the OP stated, an install for some friends, would it be possible for him to install the system and have the owner just pay a licensed installer to stop in and sign off on it?

take a look at this thread

www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18412 ... =texas+psb

you will also need to get the state required minimum of general liability insurance. it can run anywhere from $900-1800 a year.

honestly though, if you only plan on doing a couple jobs for "friends", then it may be more hassle then it's worth.

the consequences are supposedly severe (up to a year in prison) if your caught installing without a lisense. I doubt anyone's ever been convicted for helping out a friend put up cameras though. Seems kind of a waste of resources... then again I'm sure people are sitting in jail right now for even more stupid things.

That's probably the difference there: there's probably no issue with DIY installs, and hey, there's nothing wrong with you helping your buddy out if he's doing his own install