SaturnR

How to block/disable camera from viewing me?

Some of you may remember me from this past May. I posted about a neighbor filming into my yard. Well he kept filming until we finally got our privacy fence up and covered all the spaces between the boards as per our lawyer's instructions. He also told me to put something at the bottom to keep him from trying to look under which my husband refused to do (esthetics I think). Sure enough, on several occasions I have seen this freak on his hands and knees looking under my privacy fence. Needless to say I will be putting something along the entire bottom of the fence in the very near future.

I don't know why this idiot is so obsessed with us. We've lived here 25 years and never had incident with any other neighbors. We're quiet, mind our own business and keep to ourselves.

Ok now for the best part. As of the past several weeks the neighor from hell has put up a birdhouse near his house and has two hidden wireless pinhole cameras installed in it. I am 100% positive about the wireless pinhole cameras. They look like something you'd pick up on ebay for real cheap and this guy is a super tight wad so I doubt he spent much money on them. I've tried to intercept the broadcast so I can prove he is filming over here but so far haven't been successful. (I don't know what frequency he's on. I have an 8 channel 2.4 ghz receiver but can't get a signal from him) He did run four seperate metal wires from the birdhouse area/fence he has it mounted to and then over to various parts of the yard attached to either the garage or house We think he's trying to make EMF so he can disrupt the signal from getting out.

Ok so what do I do? The location of the camera has a bird's eye view (literally) into my back door and kitchen window and also my gate which means I can't ever get into my own back yard without that idiot knowing. I wanted to build something to stick on top of the fence about 2 feet high but city regulations say fence can only be 6 feet in height and Mr. Moron has the city on speed dial. This means that we will have to build something else and have it be away from the fence and it has to cover at least a 16 foot span. We went to great lengths and expense to ensure we have a "reasonable expectation to privacy" and I'm fed up with this arsehole invading said privacy. Not to mention how badly we were harassed during the fence process. He tried everything imaginable to stop us from putting it up.

I need some serious suggestions guys. Is it laser time and if so how does one go about doing that? Are there any other types of light I could use and are they effective during the day etc? I am ready to lose it over here, this man has pushed me to the brink. I am home most of the time and am partially disabled and have literally become a prisoner in my own home because of him. Now I am forced to either keep my blinds and door closed 365 or stay out of the kitchen and possibly the bathroom if he decides to try and turn those other cameras back over here.

Help!!!

p.s. Whatever I put up to block him I have to look at as well so we're having a hard time deciding what to even try in that department. (most likely it's not going to be pretty)

May be an expensive feat but how about trees. Maybe like fur, spruce, pine. Not sure of your location but a full tree that stays full all year round. Will add beauty to the yard and hopefully some privacy. I don't know if this possible as I don't know how much space you have to play with. I'm not talking of small trees but I'm speaking of grown trees. Not sure of code requirements because here a tree can not be planted within 6 feet of the property line. They also have very fast growing hybrid trees that grow many feet in a year but this is not a quick solution and probably not the best choice.

Keep in mind he may read this very forum as well so anything mentioned here may get directly to him.

A lot of smart folks on here and I would recommend anyone who may have a useful suggestion to PM this person in case this neighbor monitors the forum and will know what is happening. Tree's are not very hightech

Good luck. It must really stink being in this situation.

Let word slip to the local crime community that your neighbor has an extensive and unprotected grow op in his house.

Thank you 3RDIGLBL for your reply. I had already thought that he may read here but I took that risk anyway. I don't know that he spends much time on the computer. Usually he was almost always outside tinkering around and staring into my yard and bring people on tours of my yard whenever he had a visitor. After we put the fence up he's hardly ever outside. Funny how he lost interest in being behind his garage when there was no longer a view into my yard.

We used to have a very large tree in the back part of the yard but had it cut down a long time ago. It had grown into the sewer and we were constantly having to have the plumber snake it out, plus it got into the electric wires back there. I hadn't thought of trees, I guess I was looking for an instant fix and it never occured to me.

Rory I dont know how to post pictures plus I am hesitant to do that just in case Mr. Moron does read here. There would be no mistaking this monstrosity he built for any other birdhouse and he would know instantly. If you pm me an email address I could try to send you a picture.

you can upload pics to www.tinypic.com and they give you links to share them, post here or in pm etc. Also, did you confront him yet in person? I think you can buy wifi jammers as well, or maybe even look for some of those wireless camera finders.

Confront him about these cameras? No, it would be futile. We've had go rounds with him before and it's pointless. All it resulted in was him smearing me to the entire neighborhood and since I've kept to myself most of these years they believe all the crap he's said about us. Oh well, c'est la vie. Someday they'll be his victims too, if they ever decide to cross him and I'll just pull up a lawnchair and enjoy the show.

I have already researched the camera finders and I can get one for the low low price of $400.00 and then another $100 for the 5.8 ghz band that the other one doesn't cover. And that's a great price and yes I would do it in a heartbeat but my husband said no. He would like to retire someday soon and he's sick of throwing money away on the turd from hell.

It has cost us close to 3k so far between the fence, and the mediocre DVR and cameras I had to get when he was tresspassing and vandalizing in the middle of the night. Where does it all end??? When I run out of money?

how do you know there are pin hole cams there ?

do you have a optical detector.?

Because it's as plain as day in a pair of binoculars which I use for astronomy and bird watching or in a digital SLR camera zoomed in. He opened the back of it several times and I looked from my back door.

you can upload pics to www.tinypic.com and they give you links to share them, post here or in pm etc. Also, did you confront him yet in person? I think you can buy wifi jammers as well, or maybe even look for some of those wireless camera finders.

Rory I sent you a pm but it's sitting in my outbox and I don't know how to make it go. Does it go on it's own?

Rory I sent you a pm but it's sitting in my outbox and I don't know how to make it go. Does it go on it's own?

It will show as being in the "Outbox" to you until he reads it... then you'll see it in your Sent box. Just the way the forum software works.

I say, hell with Mr. Moron, post the pics... if he's reading this, he already knows you're talking about him. Plus, if he does find these threads, maybe he'll come to realize that you have the braintrust of several dozen collected years of CCTV experience working to help you defeat him, and give up.

Or if he's really got balls, he'll post his side of the story for us to laugh at....

Because it's as plain as day in a pair of binoculars which I use for astronomy and bird watching or in a digital SLR camera zoomed in. He opened the back of it several times and I looked from my back door.

Maybe your neighbour is retaliating against you for looking at him and his property with your binoculars? This sounds like the classic "who threw the first stone" and that has already been forgotten about by all the escalation. One thing I've learned about neighbour disputes, while they are very funny and childish with a lot of entertainment value I prefer them to stay up the street and not spill on my property. My suggestion is to work it out like adults and get over it. I'm so glad I have wonderful neighbours.

Laser pen and burn the CCD/CMOS chip in the camera!

Put up IR leds directly into the camera lens, blind it!

If it is 4 cables he can be using UTP and have both power and signal run thru them. So therefore there are no signals to be looked at.

Jammers, could also jam others in the neighbourhood.

Call the enviroment group in the city and tell them that your neigbhour killed a rare bird living in the bird houses! They will make an inspections and fin the cameras.

If you have a minor daughter, tell police he shows to much intrest to her and that you even suspects him filming her!

If a total electricity blackpout one day, have black clothes and socks, some old shoes that you throw away in someone elses trash day after and climb up and steal camera.

Use the waterhose one day and drown the bird house down by accident one day.

Spray glue into the opening of the bird house

Call FBI and tell them you think it is a spy living next door

But laser pen and/or IR led light is better! But IR led, will not have to much effect in daytime!

JD

Maybe your neighbour is retaliating against you for looking at him and his property with your binoculars? This sounds like the classic "who threw the first stone" and that has already been forgotten about by all the escalation. One thing I've learned about neighbour disputes, while they are very funny and childish with a lot of entertainment value I prefer them to stay up the street and not spill on my property. My suggestion is to work it out like adults and get over it. I'm so glad I have wonderful neighbours.

He never saw me using the binoculars, I stood inside my house, 3 feet from the back door and I never used those before he started his crap anyway. I'm telling you there is no reasoning with this idiot. I'm a very reasonable and peace loving person, he is a boil on the ass of humanity.

The bottom line is he didn't like the way our yard looked and it escalated from there. He moved in a few years ago and thinks he owns the world, especially my property. He didn't like being told to stay out of our yard. We're talking about a man who would spend hours and hours squatting and looking into my yard and then back at his because he imagined my yard was higher than his and was flooding his precious garden he tried to grow back there. I even saw him out there with a laser level measuring the differences in height. Now how the hell is someone supposed to reason with a psycho like that?!

He would go outside at night with a flashlight (we're talking 2 or 3 am) and spend hours back there pulling weeds etc. I can't tell you how many times I got the crap scared out of me because I saw a bright light flailing about behind his garage when I went into my kitchen at night. Usually anybody outside with a flashlight at night means it's the police and they are looking for a fugitive. (what he was really doing was waiting until we went to bed and then climbing the fence over into our yard.)

We did what we had to do and that was to shut him out and he's not liking it. I could take him to court and I definitely would win but that's a lot of money and time and this piece of crap has cost me enough $ as it is.

I talked extensively with an attorney over this and he is the one who instructed us how to put up that privacy fence. It was done for the sole purpose of having a reasonable expectation to privacy because my side fences are already enclosed and have been for years. My attorney has years of experience with this type of thing and he said this guy is nuts.

Trust me, it's not us, it's him.

As for entertainment value it's not coming from us. We have said not one word to anybody around here about any of this. I believe these people will see him for the jerk that he is on their own and if they by chance decide to believe the lies and gossip then what does that say about their character anyway. If they enjoy that type of person then they deserve each other IMO.

sorry dude, I just dont think you can spot a pin hole cam with optics ?

Unless its a really bad install

I've seen the stills - it's pretty obvious. It may be a "pinhole" TYPE of camera, but the install sure isn't.

And yeah, it's a pretty freakin' gaudy birdhouse - thing could house an entire aerie of bald eagles, I'm sayin' it's bloody HUGE.

sorry dude, I just dont think you can spot a pin hole cam with optics ?

Unless its a really bad install

I've seen the stills - it's pretty obvious. It may be a "pinhole" TYPE of camera, but the install sure isn't.

And yeah, it's a pretty freakin' gaudy birdhouse - thing could house an entire aerie of bald eagles, I'm sayin' it's bloody HUGE.

Ok I have to LOL at your description of the situation. Thanks for that, I needed it.

If he's running wires to the cameras, then there would be no reason (for someone with a brain) to transmit video over wireless. I'd try to pick up a can of wasp spray. The kind that shoots a stream about 30ft. That should fog up the lens pretty good...

A more permenant solution (as already suggested) could be to add some landscape for privacy. Doesn't have to be trees. I lived in this house with this stuff we called "trumpet vine" growing all over the fence. Not sure of the real name. It would grow at least 5 feet over the the fence... Extreamly thick stuff and actually kind of pretty. Would blossom orange flowers...

I've also seen bamboo planted for the same privacy effect. Bamboo grows fast, thick, and extreamly tall. Plant a bunch of it along your fence line and it should take off in no time.

Here's a delightfully creative idea...

Go down to Goodwill and buy a whole box of old books. Write on the inside covers of all of them "If found please return in person to this address for a $100 reward..." Obviously write your neighbor's address.

Then drive to the crappiest parts of town, and randomly chunk them out the window. Preferably where the crazies like to congregate begging for spare change.

As time goes by, your neigbor should get pretty tired of nut jobs coming to his door demanding $100...

Maybe he'll move? lol Good luck

Ok now for the best part. As of the past several weeks the neighor from hell has put up a birdhouse near his house and has two hidden wireless pinhole cameras installed in it...

I have a great idea. Okay, you're going to need some duct tape, a long piece of string, a hand grenade, and a very strong bird...

I just removed my post because, in hindsight, a solution to blocking cameras may be counter-productive. There would be many nefarious sorts who would like to block cameras for illegitimate reasons.

Er, I just noticed the original post is two years old. Perhaps Agent863 might want to stick with the more up-to-date posts? Also, check out the number of hits: 3688 !!

I just had to reply as I am in a similar situation and even asked this man to angle his cameras so they were not pointing in my backyard and he refused. I wanted to pass on what solutions I have found.Talk to the by-law department because there are always loopholes. For instance in my case the fence could only be 7 feet high but as my deck was two feet away from the property line the by-law officer told me that I could put a privacy screen on the deck up to 7 feet which then gave me 9 feet. I could also put a pergula up to 14 feet high if I wanted to. The rest of the fence I planted trees all along.Some I bought and some were donated. I have evergreens , lilacs , trees the city gave away and vines on my lattice. He eventually took down his camera. My rule is if he puts up another camera I plant another tree. I think he has finally figured this out. Hope this helps. From experience I have found cameras are easy to block with good landscaping practices, as for recording sound I just added a small water fountain to my backyard. Good luck and just try to block and ignore the idiot.

My rule is if he puts up another camera I plant another tree. I think he has finally figured this out.

Love it! And environmentally friendly, too

From experience I have found cameras are easy to block with good landscaping practices, as for recording sound I just added a small water fountain to my backyard.

Nice