lindsayspop

Newbie consumer in over his head

Just had a camera/dvr system installed by a guy how knows nothing about the IT side. The low end system is supposed to allow me to access the controls over my computer or remote locations but I can only view the cameras as they are selected on the dvr controls.

Phil

It carries a brand name of CIB and the instructions I have for installation are marked with the following: R901N DVR. The client software is something called DxClient Netviewer. The software disk says it version 2.7 but the screen indicates it's v. 2.6.8. I found out they bought it online from a place called USA Security Store. I called the outfit and it turns out it's just some guy from China who imports these things. He never called back when I asked if the client software had any enhanced functionality or if there was a higher version that I could acquire.

Can I purchase client software from some reputable source that might work on this thing or is each software application unique to the specific hardware?

Thanks,

Phil

I tried to send you a link but I'm too new to the forum to have permission. If you return to the USA Security site, the 4th button on the left side lists 9 CH DVR KIT. Click on that and the dvr is identical to those shown in the photo groupings. It's a 500 GB unit.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I have been watching this thread and would like to try and help. Typically with any DVR and remote viewing, port forwarding will need to be configured in the router or router/modem.

Usually 2 ports have to be forwarded to the DVR's static IP address. For example...

Let's assume the DVR IP address is 192.168.1.110

Port 80 will need to be forwarded to 192.168.1.110

and whatever the other port specific to that DVR will need to be forwarded as well. Our DVR's need port 80 and 37777 forwarded.

Also insure the DVR gateway address matches your network gateway as well. Usually 192.168.1.1 OR 10.1.10.1 depending upon the ISP and the type of service.

I tried to locate an owner's manual but failed. It should state which ports need to be configured. Also, depending upon the Internet provider ( ISP ), once you configure port forwarding and attempt to "remotely" log into the DVR from the same location using the public IP address, it may not work so don't be alarmed. Some ISP's do not allow you to "go out" and come "back in". You may need to try from a PC that is not on the same network.

In an effort to be clear… the DVR IP address is not the same as the public IP address. To find what your public IP address is go to…

http://whatismyip.com

I hope this made sense. Good Luck

Mike

Mike:

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I checked all that out and those elements seemed to be in order. We had a holiday party the other night at our house and a guest offered to diagnose the problem given his experience in the field. He surmised I need a firmware upgrade. In the menu for this unit there is a Firmware Upgrade item which we tried to access with no success. He suggests I try to figure out the manufacturer and see if I can get upgraded or compatible software. It has a USB port which should facilitate the upgrade but the unit manufacture has yet to be identified. It says CIB on the front and the model is R901N but that hasn't turned up any sources.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Your welcome...

So we understand, you are trying to access the DVR using the "software" included?? I looked at the specs and it indicates this...

Network & nbsp; &n bsp; RJ45, TCP/IP, DDNS, IE based control DVR

Although kind of a funny way to say it???

That leads me to believe by typing the DVR IP address into IE, you should get the embedded viewer. If this DVR truly has an embedded web viewer than utilize that as opposed to the software both on site and remotely.

The CIB website in Google indicates the site may be harmful so I did not click the link.