duckhere

Advice please on Geovisions and alarms

My employer has tasked me with finding out if there is a way to hook up a Geovision DVR system to an alarm. Basically what they want to happen is lets say a large truck pulls up to the back door, the camera senses the motion and sets off the alarm or buzzer to alert those inside that there is a customer for them to open the doors.

I've looked and found the IO cards, however since I am inexperienced and got the DVR's for our organization dumped in my lap, I am just not sure how this would work or what hardware would be needed (there seem to be several types of IO cards).

Also, is there any way for the Geovision to differentiate between larger objects and smaller objects? We would want an alarm for a truck pulling up, but not for someone walking through the area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Yes, this could work.

The various I/O cards are just variations on a theme I think. Different numbers of ports and USB vs RS232, if I remember correctly. All of them include at least one output port.

You can have the motion sensor trigger an output. You might also have the Object detection trigger an output. You can set the area that is monitored and you can change the sensitivity. Having said that, a spider or moth on the face of the camera is going to look a lot like a truck to Geovision. You will get some false alarms.

All the IO card does is close a switch. You then need a horn or buzzer than can take in input for trigger.

I'm not sure this is the best solution. You can get a so-called Driveway alarm that will probably have fewer false alarms and be a lot easier to setup.

Thanks for the info. I was concerned about selecting the correct card but it sounds like I will just have to match the card with the alarm interface. I tried to get them to do the easy way but they seem bent on the high tech way. I'm still trying to figure out how or if the system will be able to differenciate between a truck and a rabbit running through. They may just be hearing an alarm every time there is motion outside.

I'm still trying to figure out how or if the system will be able to differenciate between a truck and a rabbit running through.

Most video motion alarms include settings for object size and sensitivity.

Best,

Christopher