We bought a 4 camera system from security cameras direct. Basic dvr and IR. So after installing the 4 cameras we noticed that two of them, the lens is fogged over when the IR comes on.. we replaced the silica packets in the lens housings and this helped sligtly on one but were at a loss. The area is getting so bad with crime that this is important. Please help.

Hi and welcome to the forum...

This is called IR back wash ( at least that's what I call it ).

This is a result of the IR reflecting off the lens or sun shield. If the IR's are not isolated completely from the lens, it will reflect back and create that fogging effect.

Some less expensive cams have a sponge or rubber grommet that provides this isolation. If your cam has this, insure the grommet is seated completely against the glass. Also, if the sun shield underside is not black, this will also create this effect. Either slide the shield back or paint the underside. One or the other or both of the above should solve the problem.

Could be condensation. Take off the cover on the front and if it goes away then let it dry out for a few hours in the heat, then close it back up again (tight) and check the back part of the camera where the cable comes into it, seal with caulking.

I've seen a number of times it's the plastic itself. A lot of various manufactures will use a polycarbonate that has a tendency to 'haze' after when installed out in the elements. I'm not sure if it's a UV thing or temp thing but I have seen it quite a few times. You may be able to polish out the haze with some plastic polish but your best bet is to replace it with glass if it's not in a vandalization prone area.