kpdean

Help Please

I bought a 4 camera package from cctv hot deals, (product name Zmodo), I do understand that it is a entry level package and I am already in the process of upgrading. I am doing new construction in my homes basement so as I am running wire I would like to know what I shoould run as wire for the video and power for the cameras.

Next question can anybody tell me what to look for in a DVR, in the one I have the picture has snow on it and the color is out a bit, meaning the blacks sometime look green????

Thanks in advance

If it has snow then there is not enough light. Or the IR LED's are not strong enough. Seeing the blacks as green is because your camera is not a true Day/Night. So it doesnt have ICR to give correct colors while being IR sensitive.

Typically we run Siamese cable. It incorporates both the coax for video and 18 gauge power leads all in one.

You could use cat5 as well for short runs if you are going to haul power to the camera as well using the same Cat5 cable ( one pair for video and one pair for power ). Cat5 will prepare you for IP cams if you decide to get them down the road especially while the walls are open. You will need video baluns if you run cat5.

DVR??????

Please tell us what you are looking for in a DVR. I am not at all familiar with the one you have but have seen other posts about it. Definitely entry level. Sounds more like a camera issue than the DVR regarding image quality.

I did a lot of cabling in our home while we were renovating some years ago. One thing i learned from all this was that i should have run more cat5e or cat6 and less specific cabling. You can run just about anything over cat5e/cat6, from old analogue telephone to HDMI signals for your hi-def TV to audio to component video to power & video for your security cameras. My only recommendation is to run more cat6 than you think you'll need.

For a home security system you can run the video down one pair (using inexpensive passive baluns on each end) and power down the other 3 pair. And if you run two cat6 cables to each camara location, your options for the future -- high-definition cameras, audio, PTZ, IP cameras, etc. etc. will almost certainly not be limited. You could run separate power cables if you like, but i wouldn't bother.

But i can't see running coax cables at all -- they will almost certainly prove to be less useful when it comes time to upgrade, and who wants to pull cables again?

One vote for Cat6!

-Craig

For a home security system you can run the video down one pair (using inexpensive passive baluns on each end)

Are there any noticeable losses in video quality when using baluns and Cat5e vs coax? (assume less than 200' and high quality baluns).

Best,

Christopher

For a home security system you can run the video down one pair (using inexpensive passive baluns on each end)

Are there any noticeable losses in video quality when using baluns and Cat5e vs coax? (assume less than 200' and high quality baluns).

Best,

Christopher

No.

None in my opinion. I have run Cat5 over 700' hauling video and PTZ control over the same cat5. You may have to be a bit careful running it next to other electrical wiring though. I powered the PTZ at the camera location. Cat5 would have never carried the load.

Best,

Christopher

No.

Which baluns do you prefer (assume typical house runs; less than 200')? Also, is quality Cat5e UTP OK, or is shielded required for the video?

Best,

Christopher

thanks all for the info so these are the cameras I have upgraded to,

Image Sensor 1/3 inch Color Sony High Resolution CCD

Effective Pixels 768(H) x 494(V)

Sensing Area 4~9mm Vari-Focal Lens

Signal System NTSC

Horizontal Resolution 550 TV Lines

Minimum Illumination 0.0LUX (IR Lamps on)

Shutter Speed 1/60 - 1/100,000sec

S/N Ratio >48dB

Video Output 1.0Vp-p, 75 Omega

Power Requirement DC12V

Power Consumption 2.5W

IR Wavelength 850nm

IR Distance 98.43 ft. (30)

Dimensions (Approx.) height (3.5 in) diameter (4.75 in)

I bought them from the Home Security Store, they are an improvement over the ones that cam with the package.

These are the specs for the DVR,

Model DVR-M2104U - Standalone DVR

Operation System Linux Based

Video Compression MPEG4

Video System NTSC/PAL

Video Input / Output BNC4-Channel Input / 1-Channel Output

Audio Input / Output RCA 1 -Channel Input / 1-Channel Output

Display Frame Rate NTSC: 120 fps / PAL: 100 fps

Display Resolution NTSC: 720 x 480 / PAL: 720 x 576

Recording Frame Rate NTSC: 60 fps / PAL: 50 fps

Recording Resolution NTSC: 720 x 220 / PAL: 720 x 288

Record Mode Continuous / Scheduled / Motion Detection

Display Mode Each, Quad, Auto-switch

Playback Search Time & Date, Event List

Simplex / Duplex /Triplex / Pentaplex Simplex

Network RJ45

Net Protocol TCP/IP, DDNS

Remote Access LAN or Internet Browsing

HDD Interface SATA-100, Rack, support up to 750GB

USB For PC Playback & Backup / USB2.0

Remote Control IR Remote Control

Power Supply DC12V, 3A

Dimension 250mm (D) x 235mm (W) x 38mm (H)

As I am new to this area I am not sure what all this means, I have knowledge in Home theatre applications and I have always read that you equipment is only as good as the cables that connect it. Hopefully this is part of the issue, because it might be easier to fix at this time.

Thanks in advance to all of you,

Karl