Terry_yang

which kind of cameras will be popular in the coming 2 years?

BOX CAMERA, DOME CAMERA, SPEED DOME CAMERA, ALL-IN ONE CAMERA and so on. which kind would be popular in the future years.

Hope everyone can show your own opiniion.

BOX CAMERA, DOME CAMERA, SPEED DOME CAMERA, ALL-IN ONE CAMERA and so on. which kind would be popular in the future years.

China, Taiwan, Korea will be coming with 1.3 MP and 2 MP and 5 MP (some of them already have not bad product )

IP camera and most likely unfortunately will kill North America market

the same way Japan killed USA TV industry while ago

"Popularity" is meaningless. The camera used should be the right one for the given situation. No one of these types is perfect for every purpose.

"Popularity" is meaningless. The camera used should be the right one for the given situation. No one of these types is perfect for every purpose.

I agree with you. we always choose cameras for different purpose. But everything has a trend to forward. For example, with the day & night and high resolution technology, cameras with the IR function or high resolution is get more popular in the market. So i want to know in the future which kinds of camera will be the main trend, not only for the style, but also for some new technology, CCD sensor or lens.

I agree with you. we always choose cameras for different purpose. But everything has a trend to forward. For example, with the day & night and high resolution technology, cameras with the IR function or high resolution is get more popular in the market. So i want to know in the future which kinds of camera will be the main trend, not only for the style, but also for some new technology, CCD sensor or lens.

You didn't specify any of that, you asked us to choose from camera form factors (box, bullet, dome, etc.).

Honestly, I don't understand the point of the question. Are you planning to invest in a large supply of cameras and want to make sure to get the ones that are most likely to sell in the future? Why would it matter?

Sure, the "high resolution" (megapixel) segment will continue to grow, as the technology gets cheaper... but that goes back to rory's statement, the cheapest cameras will always sell the most. Beyond that, I don't see why there would be any substantial changes in the market for any one form factor or technology. There's nothing happening in the world that would make domes suddenly gain popularity over bullets, for example.

one camera market that is growing is the automotive side.

cheap small high quailty WDR cameras.

as cars are becoming more and more commonly fitted with cameras, solid sate storage becoming bigger and cheaper, i think the crash camera or DVR will become a lot more common.

lets face it, it would get far more use than your house surveillance would.

the only other thing i would like to see is the cheaper digital output non-IP cameras, digital replacement for the analog cameras.

I think the manufacturer who is able to produce digital cctv at the cheapest price with good quality will be earning big $$$.

The world is looking at digital & IP cameras going forward.... But of course cost is what matters most

true.

i would like to see mini digital output cameras (non-IP). especially with coax connection so can be used over existing cabling. but you would also need digital recorder to match it.

true.

i would like to see mini digital output cameras (non-IP). especially with coax connection so can be used over existing cabling. but you would also need digital recorder to match it.

are u talking about HD-SDI output ? or ?

true.

are u talking about HD-SDI output ? or ?

anything

i'm a little new to all this but i do see a few things being proposed about having mega pixel non-ip cameras with digital output over coax. but it seams to be only in design stage at the moment.

maybe its not in manufactures best interest to make low cost version of IP cameras.

it would be very good to have a range of mega pixel mini cams for auto use, tills, shop counter etc. especially with hidden cams.

i see theres a few that do a IP cam with a remote camera but you still got the big control gear for it. it would be good just to be able to use existing wiring and have a small camera without IP camera cost.

one big advantage would be to get away from the picture quality issues analogs get due to interference and cable quality.

i'm a little new to all this but i do see a few things being proposed about having mega pixel non-ip cameras with digital output over coax. but it seams to be only in design stage at the moment.

maybe its not in manufactures best interest to make low cost version of IP cameras.

it would be very good to have a range of mega pixel mini cams for auto use, tills, shop counter etc. especially with hidden cams.

i see theres a few that do a IP cam with a remote camera but you still got the big control gear for it. it would be good just to be able to use existing wiring and have a small camera without IP camera cost.

one big advantage would be to get away from the picture quality issues analogs get due to interference and cable quality.

already avai for few years

look for HD-SDI

HDcctv Alliance

i do see a few things being proposed about having mega pixel non-ip cameras with digital output over coax.

IP can just be a means of transferring a digital signal -- and one that is so ubiquitous and cheap and flexible that any other solution is almost certainly going to be more expensive, less flexible, and ultimately less widely used.

Relatively inexpensive analog video to IP adapters and ethernet-over-coax adapters are available to integrate IP solutions with existing equipment/infrastructure.

The cost differences between IP-based digital solutions and analog solutions will continue to erode to the point where analog is dead. Non-ip based high-def solutions are unlikely to play anything more than a niche role in the future.

i do see a few things being proposed about having mega pixel non-ip cameras with digital output over coax.

IP can just be a means of transferring a digital signal -- and one that is so ubiquitous and cheap and flexible that any other solution is almost certainly going to be more expensive, less flexible, and ultimately less widely used.

Relatively inexpensive analog video to IP adapters and ethernet-over-coax adapters are available to integrate IP solutions with existing equipment/infrastructure.

The cost differences between IP-based digital solutions and analog solutions will continue to erode to the point where analog is dead. Non-ip based high-def solutions are unlikely to play anything more than a niche role in the future.

I agree...

5 years ago a much smarter man that I in the IT field told me "In the future, EVERYTHING will be networked. Network connections will be just as common and necessary as power outlets at home and in business."

We can see the trend... Everything is becoming instantly accessable anywhere. No more proprietary hardware, direct connections, and limitations. Soon even removeable media will be outdated... Once IT is on the "network" (whatever IT is) it can be accessable by anyone and anything anytime and anywhere.

No reason why CCTV won't follow.

by the time IP cam comes down to analog level we will all be old and grey or long gone.

its frustrating when the technology already exists and there is applications that can readily use it but no one is making it.

it would be nice to able to use existing cables without converters which add complexity, cost and take up room. it would be a simple upgrade path for many. very easy to sell and install.

i don't agree IP is everything. there are certainly many things you do not want accessible by anyone and everywhere.

that idea of everything plugged in has been round for an awful long time already yet its still fairly rare and most of the automation systems i've seen in homes are proprietary anyway.

by the time IP cam comes down to analog level we will all be old and grey or long gone.

Not sure how you can say that given that IP cameras are already dropping in price (we're selling them about 20% cheaper today than we did this time last year!), and will continue to plummet as the Asian markets get more involved in their manufacture. All technology reduces in price, look at Plasma TVs, only 7 years ago they were 10 times the price they are now. All logic points to the notion that IP cameras are going to get cheaper, the technology behind them simply doesn't have the capacity to remain elusive to the cheaper manufacturers for long.

its frustrating when the technology already exists and there is applications that can readily use it but no one is making it.

Not sure what you mean by that one, it's a contradictory statement there - the equivalent of saying "I invented the clothes dryer first, but they already had them..."

it would be nice to able to use existing cables without converters which add complexity, cost and take up room. it would be a simple upgrade path for many. very easy to sell and install.

Yes, it would --- but coax simply doesn't transmit enough data for the TCP/IP protocol to broadcast a megapixel system. Back when computers used coax cable for networking I think the best speed they got on it was 10mbps, which is nowhere near fast enough for Megapixel IP.

There is also the consideration that most buildings when being constructed will have Cat5 laid out and ready to go for computer installations anyway. Cat5 is far cheaper than coax, so any new installation would have rocks in their heads to lay down RG59 unless they are short runs.

Essentially, your view point here is the equivalent of demanding that we only use dirt roads because they are "easier to build" and you want car manufacturers to make a miracle and make a car that can do 140Km/h on these dirt roads...

i don't agree IP is everything. there are certainly many things you do not want accessible by anyone and everywhere.

I have yet to come across a customer who does NOT want to be able to watch the CCTV in their office from home. Period.

that idea of everything plugged in has been round for an awful long time already yet its still fairly rare and most of the automation systems i've seen in homes are proprietary anyway.

You do have a point here, but I'm not quite sure how it's related. We're talking about what might or might not happen in 5 years, not what the market is like at this current point. Even then however, pick up a newspaper or look up the CES show in Las Vegas --- things are definitely changing as far as options for home automation and what it will be like in the future.

The concept has been around for decades, but the actual technology is beginning to appear now.

Yes, it would --- but coax simply doesn't transmit enough data for the TCP/IP protocol to broadcast a megapixel system. Back when computers used coax cable for networking I think the best speed they got on it was 10mbps, which is nowhere near fast enough for Megapixel IP.

The old coax ethernet was, indeed, 10Mbit (10base-2, vs. 10base-T - "2" for coax, "T" for twisted pair) but that was a rather different setup - for one thing, it was an end-to-end topology: you had to run from machine to machine to machine in a single line with a T-connector at each one, and a terminator at either end of the chain.

And BTW, existing RG59 coax CAN handle 100base-T ethernet using HighWire adapters and similar devices.

There is also the consideration that most buildings when being constructed will have Cat5 laid out and ready to go for computer installations anyway. Cat5 is far cheaper than coax, so any new installation would have rocks in their heads to lay down RG59 unless they are short runs.

That's the one thing that's conveniently ignored by the nay-sayers. The ability to use existing coax is great... where you have existing coax. Where you're already wiring for network in a new construction, though, it's crazy to carry a whole bunch of extra wire that will be used for a single purpose. You can pull a bundle of 6, 8, or more Cat5e or Cat6 and use them for LAN, IP cameras (on their own separate physical network if so desired), phone, analog video (including component), audio (intercom systems), HDMI/DVI video (with proper extenders)... mixing in coax/siamese just adds complexity and cost, not just for cable but for the labour... and that cable will be usable for video and little else.

I have yet to come across a customer who does NOT want to be able to watch the CCTV in their office from home. Period.

Seconded there! Most of them don't want the associated cost (since most of ours will require the internet connection added to the site) but 99% of them, one of the first things they ask is, "Can I watch this from home?"

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you don't need IP to be able to watch from home. A simple viewer to a Networked system would suit you for that or in many cases just directing IE to the IP itself works.

I don't see how watching from home would drive the situation towards IP or not. If the only factor is watching from home you can do that with non IP systems just fine. To me the main factors for IP usually boils down to how far apart your cameras are and what the wiring situation is like. If you can keep your cameras relatively close together and don't have prexisting wiring impacting the decision then non IP is almost always cheaper and what I'm going to recommend. Regardless of whether or not the end user wants to watch from home. Maybe I missed something there...I have only been doing this since November.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you don't need IP to be able to watch from home. A simple viewer to a Networked system would suit you for that or in many cases just directing IE to the IP itself works.

I don't see how watching from home would drive the situation towards IP or not. If the only factor is watching from home you can do that with non IP systems just fine. To me the main factors for IP usually boils down to how far apart your cameras are and what the wiring situation is like. If you can keep your cameras relatively close together and don't have prexisting wiring impacting the decision then non IP is almost always cheaper and what I'm going to recommend. Regardless of whether or not the end user wants to watch from home. Maybe I missed something there...I have only been doing this since November.

Can u provide your own examples of "simple viewer to a Networked system please" ?

and what do u mean by " non IP systems" ? reg coax and analog ?

Any viewing program. I don't know if it's standard, but with most of our DVRs you can view from the DVR, through internet explorer or through the viewing program downloadable from our website. And even in some cases the iPhone, Blackberry or other windows based phones.

Non Ip - I basically just mean analog or any system you could run over a network that's not on an individual camera basis.

Any viewing program. I don't know if it's standard, but with most of our DVRs you can view from the DVR, through internet explorer or through the viewing program downloadable from our website. And even in some cases the iPhone, Blackberry or other windows based phones.

Non Ip - I basically just mean analog or any system you could run over a network that's not on an individual camera basis.

Sorry, but I am getting confuse

with the way you worded

It's probably me, I have a thudding headache making thinking very difficult.

It's just a program that when you open it, you can input the IP and port information and view the cameras remotely.

:lol: It's probably me, I have a thudding headache making thinking very difficult.

It's just a program that when you open it, you can input the IP and port information and view the cameras remotely.

send you PM

Not sure how you can say that given that IP cameras are already dropping in price (we're selling them about 20% cheaper today than we did this time last year!), and will continue to plummet as the Asian markets get more involved in their manufacture. All technology reduces in price, look at Plasma TVs, only 7 years ago they were 10 times the price they are now. All logic points to the notion that IP cameras are going to get cheaper, the technology behind them simply doesn't have the capacity to remain elusive to the cheaper manufacturers for long.

7 YEARS ! ! ! thats moving horrendously slow. by the time IP cameras come down to consumer level your cell phone will have a better camera!

Not sure what you mean by that one, it's a contradictory statement there - the equivalent of saying "I invented the clothes dryer first, but they already had them..."

i'm saying the parts for the "clothes dryer" already exist but no one has bothered to put them together yet !

thats not an uncommon thing, many new products have been around for a long time, just not in that form. ie new use for old tech.

even car manufactures take existing car parts and make a new car out of them.

Essentially, your view point here is the equivalent of demanding that we only use dirt roads because they are "easier to build" and you want car manufacturers to make a miracle and make a car that can do 140Km/h on these dirt roads...

who said anything about new buildings??? its simply cheaper to use existing coax than to pull through (if even possible) new cables.

plus not all buildings have computer networks.

you don't need IP cameras for that.

You do have a point here, but I'm not quite sure how it's related. We're talking about what might or might not happen in 5 years, not what the market is like at this current point. Even then however, pick up a newspaper or look up the CES show in Las Vegas --- things are definitely changing as far as options for home automation and what it will be like in the future.

The concept has been around for decades, but the actual technology is beginning to appear now.

homes are around a lot longer than the technology thats in them. you can't wire a home for tech that may or may not arrive in 10 years time.

you have to fit the tech to whatever is existing.

there are tons of analog systems in use, even old VCR recorders are still in use. it would be great if they had a nice easy upgrade path to digital cameras.