joe_dejesus

camera suggestions?

I need 2 specialized cameras to produce if needed good picture that produces a useful shot

to identify someone (hold-up or robbery purposes, daytime operation)

-planning on one camera on top of cashier aiming at someone standing in front of cashier counter,

-second camera for front door entry, to capture when they come in.

Ceiling mount location is approx 10 feet... so I am having hard time avoiding the " down looking shots"

Cameras are not far from target spot, but I think some zoom might help?

My hardware on hand:

retail floor space not large... approx 25ft wide x 50 feet long (open area)

Nuvico AL-805 DVR

Cameras on hand are 1 Panasonic WV-CF284's and some other cheaper cameras for time being

Altronix 12v/24v power supply

RG59 copper coax Siamese cable

That Panasonic would be fine for either position, depending on the lens length and resulting field of view. For the front door, you may need to place the camera farther back (to get a better angle) and use a longer lens to get a tight shot. It would help to know what, if any, budget you have available for upgrading cameras.

Something like this might be worth considering as well: it avoids the angle-of-view issue, as well as backlighting issues you normally get pointing a camera at the door: http://www.honeywellvideo.com/products/cameras/sp/37779.html

The cashier camera cannot move back since its near wall already.

Door camera:

I was thinking of farther back (this will make image angle better) but I guess I need to compliment it with some optical zoom to bring image back in.

Budget:

Upgrading cameras one at a time as budget allows.. so if the results for 1 good camera is justifiable (wife ) I don't mind spending more cash for good optics.. we are not rich but I also understand necessity. I rather have less cameras better quality than worthless many angle shots.

Also dont want to spend money on radical camera that my dvr wont take advantage...

thanks

Joe

The Panasonic would be my first choice and the CF284's are good interior domes, however, they have Black Stretch Technology and if your front doors let any natural light through them, the CF284 might not perform enough in a high/low contrast shot.

Our goto front door camera is typically a 484 series from Panasonic which offer the SDIII Wide Dynamic Range Technology. The cashier shot may or may not require a WDR camera, and if not, the CF284 would be a great choice.

YES there is quite allot of sunlight coming from door... since I have it close

(with the not so good looking down view) glare is not that bad... but if

moved further back the glare will for sure affect it...

that 484 looks stout! is there a equivalent camera without the armor (vandal proof)

does the 484 have any zoom capability?

Also dont want to spend money on radical camera that my dvr wont take advantage...

Those ExirView cameras are standard analog output, they'll work with any existing analog-video system.

The Panasonic would be my first choice and the CF284's are good interior domes, however, they have Black Stretch Technology and if your front doors let any natural light through them, the CF284 might not perform enough in a high/low contrast shot.

Our goto front door camera is typically a 484 series from Panasonic which offer the SDIII Wide Dynamic Range Technology. The cashier shot may or may not require a WDR camera, and if not, the CF284 would be a great choice.

need some help... Looking at the wv-cw484 flush mount and came across several lens options.. can someone help with correct lens for front door coverage?

thanks!

Depends mainly on the distance to the door... the farther you can mount the camera back from the door, the better the angle you'll get. Lens choice will depend on that distance and the width of the door.

Depends mainly on the distance to the door... the farther you can mount the camera back from the door, the better the angle you'll get. Lens choice will depend on that distance and the width of the door.

Right now camera is approx 11-12 feet away from door.. but we have room to go further away if needed...

Sorry... I was working up some angles for you on a lens calculator, but ran out of time and then was out of town for the weekend.

Roughly, though... at 11-12', assuming a standard single 3' wide door, you're probably looking at something in the 8-9mm range for tight shot covering little more than the width of the door. How far back CAN you go?

or you can save some money and put a regular camera at the door pointing in .. to catch them leaving.

Sorry... I was working up some angles for you on a lens calculator, but ran out of time and then was out of town for the weekend.

Roughly, though... at 11-12', assuming a standard single 3' wide door, you're probably looking at something in the 8-9mm range for tight shot covering little more than the width of the door. How far back CAN you go?

I can go back 10 more feet but wont I need zoom ?? Idea is to get recognizable face shot if needed...

thanks

or you can save some money and put a regular camera at the door pointing in .. to catch them leaving.

thats true!! but how can avoid the looking down effect if camera goes on celing or top of door?

not to change subject but I like the idea of door camera pointing inward.. I was also considering HD IP camera... my dvr cannot handle HD and we have a NAS for storage.. can any of these HD ip cameras record without a pc? possible record to NAS share?

Would an eye level dome at the exit work? If it's a typical push/pull door they wouldn't be able to leave without give you a nice close up when they reach for the door.

And as far as a camera outside, it'd probably work best if there was something hanging over the entrance jutting out a few feet to get the angle you'd want. A bullet camera would serve you well if you had something to attach it to overhead.

Would an eye level dome at the exit work? If it's a typical push/pull door they wouldn't be able to leave without give you a nice close up when they reach for the door.

And as far as a camera outside, it'd probably work best if there was something hanging over the entrance jutting out a few feet to get the angle you'd want. A bullet camera would serve you well if you had something to attach it to overhead.

outside there is room top and side of door, but thats another camera requirement..

I was going to try different locations , i have room to side left/right side of door.. theres a wall 90deg to left side of front door (looking from inside)...

If there's not too much concern for the camera's being destroyed/stolen mid-incident I'm always a fan of eye level cams. You can get a much better picture with less distortion since you don't have to force the angle's so much.

I'd see how close you can get with that door at a 90 degree angle from the area you want in the FOV. Or, again, on the panel next to the door so you can't leave without smiling directly into it is always a plus.

I can go back 10 more feet but wont I need zoom ?? Idea is to get recognizable face shot if needed...

"Zoom" is kind of a nebulous term when applied to CCTV. Don't think of it the same way as you would with your pocket camera. "Zoom" is basically another term for a varifocal lens... such as 3-8mm, 2-12mm, 15-50mm, etc.

Moving further back simply means you need a lens with a longer focal length. That could be a fixed-length lens, or a zoom/varifocal lens that lets you adjust the length across a range.

Using the simplest lens calculator I could find... http://www.tamron.com/cctv/lenscalculator/index.php

Your distance will be about 20'... your horizontal width of field should be about 4 (to get the whole door in, assuming again that it's a single door), and uncheck all but the 1/3" varifocal box. That gives you a focal length of 24mm. If Panasonic has a lens for that camera with includes that in its range (12-30mm, for example), then that's what you need, and you can fine-tune it once it's installed.

not to change subject but I like the idea of door camera pointing inward.. I was also considering HD IP camera... my dvr cannot handle HD and we have a NAS for storage.. can any of these HD ip cameras record without a pc? possible record to NAS share?

Some cameras can record directly to NAS, but both must support it. If your NAS has an FTP server, some cameras may also be able to ftp to it directly.

Some cameras can record directly to NAS, but both must support it. If your NAS has an FTP server, some cameras may also be able to ftp to it directly.

yes nas also has ftp support... cant stay away from looking at HD ip cameras... picture quality is just amaizing... anyone have recomendations on some hd cameras i can check out (share or ftp) LMK...